“Happy with the property.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #27 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Pennsylvania
“Happy with the property.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We were flying out of DCA when a storm was predicted sooooooooo we left our home to stay overnight closer to the airport. The Sheraton Suites looked quite nice. Our room was a lovely two room suite with a lovely view of the river. (Room 602) It was very quiet. My biggest disappointment was that internet was an extra cost. There was free computers in the lobby but that was always being used! We were very stressed with the upcoming weather and wanted to check our flights and keep family updates. The surrounding neighborhood is great. It is an easy walk to restaurants. We enjoyed Murphys for drinks and The Pita bread for lunch. Airport transfers were efficient. The cost of the property was very expensive (we had to book a day prior to the trip so that could be some of the reason and we did opt for the included breakfast.)

Room Tip: Room 602 is quiet and a nice view....
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thanks so very much for your comments. The Sheraton Suites is the perfect hotel to stay the night in before a trip to the airport. Not only do we arrange to park your car but our close proximity and airport shuttle makes it easy to get to the airport on time. Again, thank you for your comments and please do stay with us again very soon.

Warmly,

355 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Grasonville, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I am totally ambivalent about this hotel. They try to do everything, but they do very little well.I met terrific employees who were very helpful and interested in your comfort. I met others who could care less. They offer wireless in your room (for a price). Ours was worse than dial up and when I called the front desk to ask about it, the guy who answered couldn't wait to get off the phone with me as he transferred me to the ATT help desk which, of course, put me on hold and a long wait. Needless to say, I hung up and dealt with a lousy signal for my entire stay. I paid for a "continental" breakfast each morning. It was terrible! Cold pancakes one day (none the next). Bagels and bread for toast with one 4-slice toaster which was broken and only worked on one side. BTW- they never replaced it my entire stay so it's obvious no one is paying much attention. The room was nice, but once again, they couldn't really get it right. Only two towels in the bathroom. When you sat on the foot of the bed, the entire mattress would tilt up as if it was going to flip. The property itself looks a couple years away from renewal. Paint bad here and there, only one (of two) elevators working.... apparently they were fixing the other (maybe) so trips in the elevator usually required you to pack a lunch. Sorry.... but this hotel just isn't done well. Like I said. They try to do everything but they really fall short on most of it. One thing- surprisingly enough.... the restaurant/bar is very good. Food is reasonable and quite good. Bartender is friendly and pours a good drink. Wonder if I could have slept on one of the booths there........ Oh well...... I'll be looking elsewhere next trip.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks so much for making me aware of your concerns as we always appreciate feedback both good and bad. As you noticed the hotel had one elevator out of service which was in the process of being upgraded and modernized. Unfortunately, there is never a good time to do this but you can be sure once finished they will work good as new. The Club lounge should always be stocked with fresh items and the toaster should work as well. We have already corrected this so that others are not disappointed. All of our suites should be properly stocked and the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper Bed usually does not disappoint but we will certainly look into your concerns. I am sorry we let you down and hope we can have you back soon so that we can make this experience up to you in some way. Please do reach out to me directly on your next visit to Old Town. I truly hope to hear from you.

SF
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is a great place to stay when visiting Washington DC. The hotel has great rooms and good service. It is a little out of the way in that it sits just between King st. and the Reagan National. It is a walk to get anywhere from here. If you don't mind that then it is perfect. It is a 15 min walk to nearest metro and about the same to get to King street with its cafes and shops. It is really best in spring and summer when the weather is good. I would not recommend it for a winter stay, you won't be able to enjoy Old town so much since it is a good walk away. The hotel does offer shuttles to airport and metro which are great a everything is just minutes away. The best part is you don't have to fight traffic cause you are just a step away from the airport and just across the bridge from DC. If you have a car you can't beat this hotel for comfort and easy. Do stay here.

Room Tip: higher rooms have better views
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Thanks so very much for your comments and for staying with us. If a convenient location with access to DC and a short walk to historic Old Town is what you are looking for we have just what you need. Please do come visit us again soon!

Warm Regards,

Mahnattan48
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

My main interest in hotels are cleanliness and bedding comfort. Several years ago we stayed in a Sheraton was in Seattle and I thought the mattresses were the most comfortable I'd ever slept in. For numerous reasons we haven't managed to stay in another Sheraton since then, so I was excited to get a great deal for the one night we wanted to stay in a hotel in Alexandria. Imagine my disappointment upon finding that the beds were hard and the sheets were like cardboard - thick, probably cotton, but not good quality. And it seemed like there may have been a plastic cover on the mattress. I appreciate that hotels may put sanitary covers on, but there are good ones that are not crinkly, and bad ones that are. Also, the bedskirt trailed on the floor and clearly had been damaged.

Other than that, the furniture was a little run down and outlets near the bed were inconvenient. Staff were nice enough but we were only there one night and didn't require anything other than check in.

On the whole I would not choose a Sheraton again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments as we always appreciate good feedback. I want to apologize that the bed was not to your liking. The Sheraton Suite Sleeper bed and 300 thread count linens have always been a hit with our travelers although I am not sure if you are talking about this hotel as we do not use plastic bed covers as you describe. A room that is prepared with care and that is clean and comfortable is what our guests expect. I am sorry we let you down. You can be sure we will follow up with your concerns so that others are not disappointed. Please do stay with us again so that we can demonstrate our commitment to your comfort.

Ligonier, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We stayed at this hotel last year and loved it. When I called over a month before we arrived I asked for room with a view of the Potomac River like we had last time. Upon our arrival I asked the front desk clerk if we had the view and she said no but we were in a corner room on the 8th floor. It turned out that our view was of a huge construction site with a very large crane swinging near our window throughout the day. OK, so forget the view but the rug in our bedroom did not fit up against the wall and had stringers of thread going over the bathroom threshold. The vent above the shower was black in the corners and the shower light was falling off on one side! The small table in front of the sofa was nicked and scratched. We got up to make coffee in the morning using their one cup pot and there was 1 regular packet and 1 decaf packet. This is supposed to be a suite so why just 1 of each. Maybe I am forgetting but I thought that when you hang the green sign on the door that means don't wash the linens and towels but come in and make the bed and clean up. They did not clean the room or make the bed. On our last visit all of the people who worked at the hotel were very, very nice and attentive but this trip no one, including the person who checked us out, even asked how our stay was. The lobby looks beautiful but they are definitely neglecting the rooms. Too much money for what?? We will not go there again!

Room Tip: Maybe all of the rooms are not as bad as the one we had so I suggest you ask to see the room before...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thanks so much for your feedback as we truly appreciate guest comments both good and bad. A good stay starts with receiving everything you expect from a clean crisp room in good order to being greeted by friendly and gracioius staff. I am sorry we let you down. Our suites should always be in proper order in both cleanliness and maintenance and you can be sure we will redouble our efforts so that the problems are fixed before a room is assigned. While I am sorry you did not like the view of the nearby building project you should know that the view also included the water view of the Potomac river and the clerk perhaps in the future should have asked you if that was ok. Additional coffee and other amenities are always available if you let us know although the rooms should be properly stocked each day. I truly hope you give us another chance and hope you reach out to me directly so that I can personally make it up to you in some way and demonstrate our commitment to your comfort.

Montagnola, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We were in Alexandria for three days of business and the Sheraton was a great base of operations. The cleanliness and quality were certainly up to Sheraton expectations, and the staff was friendly and accommodating. The Hotel is an easy walk to Old Town/King Street, and offers a shuttle to Reagan National that doubles as a lift to the Metro. Breakfast was good, and since the club lounge was closed, the hotel comped the breakfast buffet for my wife and me. They also graciously offered us a late check-out since our flight home was in the evening. The fitness room was small, but adequate, and parking was pricey--but downtown parking is, so that shouldn't surprise you.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thanks so much for your complimentary comments. I want to personally thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor and hope we can welcome you back to Old Town often!

Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a few nights for a business trip. There was a free shuttle to the hotel. Checking in was painless. The room was nice. It had a bedroom area that has doors to close it off from the area with the couch and desk (typical suite setup). I did have drinks in the hotel restaurant a couple nights, but no meals, so I can't comment on that. However, it did look like a nice establishment.

I will say that the one item that did stick out in my mind as negative was the elevator. It makes some noises I'd prefer an elevator did not, and it was rather slow. However, it did get me to and from my room without fail.

There is a short walk (15 minutes or so) to get to Old Town, but I believe the shuttle can be used to get you there as well. I did not ask. Overall, I enjoyed my stay and would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thanks so much for your feedback. Old Town Alexandria is a great place to visit for business and leisure and with our close proximity to shopping, restaurants and attractions you cannot go wrong. I am glad you had a nice experience and rest assured we have looked at our elevators. In fact you will be happy to know that they are getting a face lift in the next few weeks that will make them faster and quieter for everyone. Again, thanks for your comments and we hope to see you again very soon!

Steve W.

Been to Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria? Share your experiences!