“Nice hotel in a quiet neighborhood” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #21 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
SF
“Nice hotel in a quiet neighborhood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is a great place to stay when visiting Washington DC. The hotel has great rooms and good service. It is a little out of the way in that it sits just between King st. and the Reagan National. It is a walk to get anywhere from here. If you don't mind that then it is perfect. It is a 15 min walk to nearest metro and about the same to get to King street with its cafes and shops. It is really best in spring and summer when the weather is good. I would not recommend it for a winter stay, you won't be able to enjoy Old town so much since it is a good walk away. The hotel does offer shuttles to airport and metro which are great a everything is just minutes away. The best part is you don't have to fight traffic cause you are just a step away from the airport and just across the bridge from DC. If you have a car you can't beat this hotel for comfort and easy. Do stay here.

Room Tip: higher rooms have better views
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thanks so very much for your comments and for staying with us. If a convenient location with access to DC and a short walk to historic Old Town is what you are looking for we have just what you need. Please do come visit us again soon!

Warm Regards,

Steve W.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Mahnattan48
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

My main interest in hotels are cleanliness and bedding comfort. Several years ago we stayed in a Sheraton was in Seattle and I thought the mattresses were the most comfortable I'd ever slept in. For numerous reasons we haven't managed to stay in another Sheraton since then, so I was excited to get a great deal for the one night we wanted to stay in a hotel in Alexandria. Imagine my disappointment upon finding that the beds were hard and the sheets were like cardboard - thick, probably cotton, but not good quality. And it seemed like there may have been a plastic cover on the mattress. I appreciate that hotels may put sanitary covers on, but there are good ones that are not crinkly, and bad ones that are. Also, the bedskirt trailed on the floor and clearly had been damaged.

Other than that, the furniture was a little run down and outlets near the bed were inconvenient. Staff were nice enough but we were only there one night and didn't require anything other than check in.

On the whole I would not choose a Sheraton again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments as we always appreciate good feedback. I want to apologize that the bed was not to your liking. The Sheraton Suite Sleeper bed and 300 thread count linens have always been a hit with our travelers although I am not sure if you are talking about this hotel as we do not use plastic bed covers as you describe. A room that is prepared with care and that is clean and comfortable is what our guests expect. I am sorry we let you down. You can be sure we will follow up with your concerns so that others are not disappointed. Please do stay with us again so that we can demonstrate our commitment to your comfort.

Ligonier, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We stayed at this hotel last year and loved it. When I called over a month before we arrived I asked for room with a view of the Potomac River like we had last time. Upon our arrival I asked the front desk clerk if we had the view and she said no but we were in a corner room on the 8th floor. It turned out that our view was of a huge construction site with a very large crane swinging near our window throughout the day. OK, so forget the view but the rug in our bedroom did not fit up against the wall and had stringers of thread going over the bathroom threshold. The vent above the shower was black in the corners and the shower light was falling off on one side! The small table in front of the sofa was nicked and scratched. We got up to make coffee in the morning using their one cup pot and there was 1 regular packet and 1 decaf packet. This is supposed to be a suite so why just 1 of each. Maybe I am forgetting but I thought that when you hang the green sign on the door that means don't wash the linens and towels but come in and make the bed and clean up. They did not clean the room or make the bed. On our last visit all of the people who worked at the hotel were very, very nice and attentive but this trip no one, including the person who checked us out, even asked how our stay was. The lobby looks beautiful but they are definitely neglecting the rooms. Too much money for what?? We will not go there again!

Room Tip: Maybe all of the rooms are not as bad as the one we had so I suggest you ask to see the room before...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thanks so much for your feedback as we truly appreciate guest comments both good and bad. A good stay starts with receiving everything you expect from a clean crisp room in good order to being greeted by friendly and gracioius staff. I am sorry we let you down. Our suites should always be in proper order in both cleanliness and maintenance and you can be sure we will redouble our efforts so that the problems are fixed before a room is assigned. While I am sorry you did not like the view of the nearby building project you should know that the view also included the water view of the Potomac river and the clerk perhaps in the future should have asked you if that was ok. Additional coffee and other amenities are always available if you let us know although the rooms should be properly stocked each day. I truly hope you give us another chance and hope you reach out to me directly so that I can personally make it up to you in some way and demonstrate our commitment to your comfort.

Montagnola, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We were in Alexandria for three days of business and the Sheraton was a great base of operations. The cleanliness and quality were certainly up to Sheraton expectations, and the staff was friendly and accommodating. The Hotel is an easy walk to Old Town/King Street, and offers a shuttle to Reagan National that doubles as a lift to the Metro. Breakfast was good, and since the club lounge was closed, the hotel comped the breakfast buffet for my wife and me. They also graciously offered us a late check-out since our flight home was in the evening. The fitness room was small, but adequate, and parking was pricey--but downtown parking is, so that shouldn't surprise you.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thanks so much for your complimentary comments. I want to personally thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor and hope we can welcome you back to Old Town often!

Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a few nights for a business trip. There was a free shuttle to the hotel. Checking in was painless. The room was nice. It had a bedroom area that has doors to close it off from the area with the couch and desk (typical suite setup). I did have drinks in the hotel restaurant a couple nights, but no meals, so I can't comment on that. However, it did look like a nice establishment.

I will say that the one item that did stick out in my mind as negative was the elevator. It makes some noises I'd prefer an elevator did not, and it was rather slow. However, it did get me to and from my room without fail.

There is a short walk (15 minutes or so) to get to Old Town, but I believe the shuttle can be used to get you there as well. I did not ask. Overall, I enjoyed my stay and would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thanks so much for your feedback. Old Town Alexandria is a great place to visit for business and leisure and with our close proximity to shopping, restaurants and attractions you cannot go wrong. I am glad you had a nice experience and rest assured we have looked at our elevators. In fact you will be happy to know that they are getting a face lift in the next few weeks that will make them faster and quieter for everyone. Again, thanks for your comments and we hope to see you again very soon!

Satin John, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We decided to take a road trip to Washington DC.I am an spg member so I researched local Sheraton hotels. We booked the Sheraton Old Town for just $79 a night. Amazing value! Great view from our room on the 8th floor, even with nearby construction. Fit 2 small children and 2 adults nicely. The bed was very comfortable, and the room had a nice, historic feel. The room was clean with a lot of nice amenities. Parking at $20 a day was well worth it. The parking garage was attached to the hotel. The free Sheraton shuttle to Old Town was a fantastic service in the chilly weather. The hotel was close enough to Old Town to walk and enjoy the many King St restaurants. The pool was large and clean. The bar was modern and fun. The breakfast buffet was not worth the $...so skip it and grab a snack or bagel at one of the nearby grocery stores or coffee shops.
The hotel was very close to DC and the attractions. The metro was $11.80 for 4 people or you could cab it for about $18.
The only complaint we might have was the apparent lack of guest services. When we called the front desk, often times no one answered. We hardly saw any employees anywhere...except cleaning services, who did an excellent job.
If you are a high maintenance hotel visitor, skip this hotel.
However, For us, this hotel was perfect! We will be visiting this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2013
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you so much for your comments and feedback. While I am glad we exceeded your expectations you can be sure we expect that all guests will be met by trained and ready staff that are always available. Many people enjoy our fully stocked breakfast buffet we do however, understand that many patrons choose a "grab and go" style. With so many choices we try and offer something for everyone. Thanks again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back in the very near future.

NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

and the biggest reason is Katie Ireland.
The family spent four nights there - wife, kids, baby, and the staff was fantastic in every way.

Rooms were comfortable, clean, well-appointed and well maintained throughout our stay. Used starwoods so it wasn't too expensive and kids had a great time.

What made it so exceptional was the person attention paid to our unique needs by the hotel, especially Katie Ireland who went out of her way in so many ways - big and little - to make our stay what it was. Every special request was handled with grace. she returned our calls before we came to help plan and when we showed up there was a tablecloth with fresh flowers on the table waiting. Nice touch that I've never seen before in big chain hotel.
Comped us on some computer games for the kids, got us our extra fridge, taught the kids how to us the computer gaming system and so much more.
Read my other reviews and you'll see that I don't usually gush about places, but I have to give credit for this one.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thanks so much for sharing your positive experience on Trip Advisor. Katie demonstrated the service excellence that this hotel aspires to give all of our guests and thank you for recognizing this. We hope you come to visit us again soon and hope we can live up to your high praise with all of our visitors no matter what the needs may be!

Steve W.

Been to Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria? Share your experiences!