“Nice Hotel - Short Walk to Old Town” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #27 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Phoenix, Arizona
“Nice Hotel - Short Walk to Old Town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a few nights for a business trip. There was a free shuttle to the hotel. Checking in was painless. The room was nice. It had a bedroom area that has doors to close it off from the area with the couch and desk (typical suite setup). I did have drinks in the hotel restaurant a couple nights, but no meals, so I can't comment on that. However, it did look like a nice establishment.

I will say that the one item that did stick out in my mind as negative was the elevator. It makes some noises I'd prefer an elevator did not, and it was rather slow. However, it did get me to and from my room without fail.

There is a short walk (15 minutes or so) to get to Old Town, but I believe the shuttle can be used to get you there as well. I did not ask. Overall, I enjoyed my stay and would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thanks so much for your feedback. Old Town Alexandria is a great place to visit for business and leisure and with our close proximity to shopping, restaurants and attractions you cannot go wrong. I am glad you had a nice experience and rest assured we have looked at our elevators. In fact you will be happy to know that they are getting a face lift in the next few weeks that will make them faster and quieter for everyone. Again, thanks for your comments and we hope to see you again very soon!

353 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Satin John, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We decided to take a road trip to Washington DC.I am an spg member so I researched local Sheraton hotels. We booked the Sheraton Old Town for just $79 a night. Amazing value! Great view from our room on the 8th floor, even with nearby construction. Fit 2 small children and 2 adults nicely. The bed was very comfortable, and the room had a nice, historic feel. The room was clean with a lot of nice amenities. Parking at $20 a day was well worth it. The parking garage was attached to the hotel. The free Sheraton shuttle to Old Town was a fantastic service in the chilly weather. The hotel was close enough to Old Town to walk and enjoy the many King St restaurants. The pool was large and clean. The bar was modern and fun. The breakfast buffet was not worth the $...so skip it and grab a snack or bagel at one of the nearby grocery stores or coffee shops.
The hotel was very close to DC and the attractions. The metro was $11.80 for 4 people or you could cab it for about $18.
The only complaint we might have was the apparent lack of guest services. When we called the front desk, often times no one answered. We hardly saw any employees anywhere...except cleaning services, who did an excellent job.
If you are a high maintenance hotel visitor, skip this hotel.
However, For us, this hotel was perfect! We will be visiting this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2013
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you so much for your comments and feedback. While I am glad we exceeded your expectations you can be sure we expect that all guests will be met by trained and ready staff that are always available. Many people enjoy our fully stocked breakfast buffet we do however, understand that many patrons choose a "grab and go" style. With so many choices we try and offer something for everyone. Thanks again for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back in the very near future.

NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

and the biggest reason is Katie Ireland.
The family spent four nights there - wife, kids, baby, and the staff was fantastic in every way.

Rooms were comfortable, clean, well-appointed and well maintained throughout our stay. Used starwoods so it wasn't too expensive and kids had a great time.

What made it so exceptional was the person attention paid to our unique needs by the hotel, especially Katie Ireland who went out of her way in so many ways - big and little - to make our stay what it was. Every special request was handled with grace. she returned our calls before we came to help plan and when we showed up there was a tablecloth with fresh flowers on the table waiting. Nice touch that I've never seen before in big chain hotel.
Comped us on some computer games for the kids, got us our extra fridge, taught the kids how to us the computer gaming system and so much more.
Read my other reviews and you'll see that I don't usually gush about places, but I have to give credit for this one.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thanks so much for sharing your positive experience on Trip Advisor. Katie demonstrated the service excellence that this hotel aspires to give all of our guests and thank you for recognizing this. We hope you come to visit us again soon and hope we can live up to your high praise with all of our visitors no matter what the needs may be!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I stayed at this hotel twice and the first time I opted for a sheraton club suite, when I first arrived I had a shuttle pick me up from the Metro which was nice, when the shuttle driver arrived he sat in the van while I loaded my own luggage. It was fine by me (saved me from having to tip :) ) Prior to my arrival I had a credit card authorization form sent to cover room and tax and received confirmation, when I arrived I found out that the fax machine was not working properly and then spent 30 minutes in the lobby waiting, I eventually had the authorization form sent via email to the front desk which all staff at the front were nice. I finally made it to my room and thought that the room was spectacular and enough space to really relax. I went to the club lounge and found only bags of chips everything was empty. The next morning I went in during the breakfast hours and found that most items were nearly gone so I went on my way. The next visit I took the shuttle again and had the same issues, This check in was normal lol. I went to eat at the bar and the bartender on was great I can't remember his name but the best service. I later needed the shuttle and was told by the driver that "if you are going anywhere but the airport then I cant take you" I ended up just taking a taxi! I ordered a bottle of champagne and strawberries from room service and it took 45 mins to arrive I nearly left because I was on a tight schedule. Ovierall if you need comfortable accomodations and have extra time on your hands this is a great hotel for you.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback and for giving us a second chance. I am sorry we let you down. A good stay starts with receiving what you expect and I am disappointed that we did not live up to the Sheraton standards we demand. It starts with well trained friendly staff that put customer satisfaction first and of course making sure our Club is stocked and all services provided promptly. You can be sure I will follow up on your concerns so that others are not disappointed. Please do reach out to me directly should you decide to return so that I can personally see to your accommodations and make it worth your while.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

My husband attended a conference at The Gaylord in October 2012. This was one of the recommended "overflow" hotels. I brought my daughter and niece. We toured Old Town and visited the Alexandria African American History Museum. Both are in walking distance. There is a grocery store within walking distance.
After touring the National Mall by day, the girls ate room service by night. The burgers are THE best ever! My daughter is not a "big" burger eater, but, she ate them every 3 days in a row. The first night we were there, the staff recommended a local restaurant on King Street. The food was gross. The second night, we ate at Howard University's homecoming.
The shuttle service is great. The gym was clean. The girls enjoyed swimming in the pool and relaxing in the hot tub.
They provide a refrigerator, but, it doesn't keep food safe. There is like a $20 or $25 per night fee to get a food-safe refrigerator. What?
We stayed in Alexandria for Inauguration 2013 and we ate burgers at the Sheraton twice. The third attempt, the restaurant was closed. It opens for dinner at 4:30. We got there at 4:00 pm.
Looking forward to our next DC visit for these burgers and CURBSIDE CUPCAKES!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thanks so much for your feedback and we are thrilled that you like our burgers! I agree as well they are excellent and on Sundays they are half price. Sorry our restaurant recommendation did not work out. Most of the places we recommend are either from personal experience and the feedback we get from other guests. The numerous sights and attractions brings many of our guests back over and over. We hope to see you again soon and again, thanks for sharing your experience.

Strongsville, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I love Old Town Alexandria, Virginia. We had a hard time finding a hotel in DC that was affordable and large enough for a family of 5. We got a suite and it was perfect and not too costly by DC standards. It is close to the metro to go into DC for sightseeing and walking distance to the quaint shops and restaurants of Old Town, Alexandria, Virginia. And close to the water taxis to the baseball games. They had a van that would take you to the metro station. I would recommend this for DC sightseeing and relaxing in Old Town at night.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thanks so much for your feedback, we are glad you had a nice visit. We agree, the Sheraton Suites is a great place to call home when visiting Old Town Alexandria and the Washington DC area. The spacious suites and convenience to all the attractions make the hotel perfect for both leisure and business travelers. Please do come see us again so that on your next visit we can earn a perfect 5 star rating!

Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel numerous times for weekend getaways a few times a year. The weekend rates are not too expensive usually $99/night. We have learned that you can park in the neighborhood if you read the signs and park in the proper places. The rooms are large and comfortable. There is a Trader Joe's a few blocks away if you want to get snacks and beverages for your room. You can walk everywhere including to the Metro station if you wish to visit DC. The shops, galleries, and restaurants are numerous and lots of fun to visit any time. We have stayed at other hotels in Old Town but like this one especially when the price is right.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thanks so much for your comments and more importantly your long term loyalty. The price is always right here at the Sheraton Suites and the location is convenient to both Washington, D.C., Reagan National Airport, Arlington and of course Old Town Alexandria. Thanks again for staying at the Sheraton where you belong!!

Steve W.

Been to Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria? Share your experiences!