“One of the few that earned 5 Stars from me” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #22 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
NY
“One of the few that earned 5 Stars from me”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

and the biggest reason is Katie Ireland.
The family spent four nights there - wife, kids, baby, and the staff was fantastic in every way.

Rooms were comfortable, clean, well-appointed and well maintained throughout our stay. Used starwoods so it wasn't too expensive and kids had a great time.

What made it so exceptional was the person attention paid to our unique needs by the hotel, especially Katie Ireland who went out of her way in so many ways - big and little - to make our stay what it was. Every special request was handled with grace. she returned our calls before we came to help plan and when we showed up there was a tablecloth with fresh flowers on the table waiting. Nice touch that I've never seen before in big chain hotel.
Comped us on some computer games for the kids, got us our extra fridge, taught the kids how to us the computer gaming system and so much more.
Read my other reviews and you'll see that I don't usually gush about places, but I have to give credit for this one.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thanks so much for sharing your positive experience on Trip Advisor. Katie demonstrated the service excellence that this hotel aspires to give all of our guests and thank you for recognizing this. We hope you come to visit us again soon and hope we can live up to your high praise with all of our visitors no matter what the needs may be!

Steve W.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I stayed at this hotel twice and the first time I opted for a sheraton club suite, when I first arrived I had a shuttle pick me up from the Metro which was nice, when the shuttle driver arrived he sat in the van while I loaded my own luggage. It was fine by me (saved me from having to tip :) ) Prior to my arrival I had a credit card authorization form sent to cover room and tax and received confirmation, when I arrived I found out that the fax machine was not working properly and then spent 30 minutes in the lobby waiting, I eventually had the authorization form sent via email to the front desk which all staff at the front were nice. I finally made it to my room and thought that the room was spectacular and enough space to really relax. I went to the club lounge and found only bags of chips everything was empty. The next morning I went in during the breakfast hours and found that most items were nearly gone so I went on my way. The next visit I took the shuttle again and had the same issues, This check in was normal lol. I went to eat at the bar and the bartender on was great I can't remember his name but the best service. I later needed the shuttle and was told by the driver that "if you are going anywhere but the airport then I cant take you" I ended up just taking a taxi! I ordered a bottle of champagne and strawberries from room service and it took 45 mins to arrive I nearly left because I was on a tight schedule. Ovierall if you need comfortable accomodations and have extra time on your hands this is a great hotel for you.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback and for giving us a second chance. I am sorry we let you down. A good stay starts with receiving what you expect and I am disappointed that we did not live up to the Sheraton standards we demand. It starts with well trained friendly staff that put customer satisfaction first and of course making sure our Club is stocked and all services provided promptly. You can be sure I will follow up on your concerns so that others are not disappointed. Please do reach out to me directly should you decide to return so that I can personally see to your accommodations and make it worth your while.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

My husband attended a conference at The Gaylord in October 2012. This was one of the recommended "overflow" hotels. I brought my daughter and niece. We toured Old Town and visited the Alexandria African American History Museum. Both are in walking distance. There is a grocery store within walking distance.
After touring the National Mall by day, the girls ate room service by night. The burgers are THE best ever! My daughter is not a "big" burger eater, but, she ate them every 3 days in a row. The first night we were there, the staff recommended a local restaurant on King Street. The food was gross. The second night, we ate at Howard University's homecoming.
The shuttle service is great. The gym was clean. The girls enjoyed swimming in the pool and relaxing in the hot tub.
They provide a refrigerator, but, it doesn't keep food safe. There is like a $20 or $25 per night fee to get a food-safe refrigerator. What?
We stayed in Alexandria for Inauguration 2013 and we ate burgers at the Sheraton twice. The third attempt, the restaurant was closed. It opens for dinner at 4:30. We got there at 4:00 pm.
Looking forward to our next DC visit for these burgers and CURBSIDE CUPCAKES!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thanks so much for your feedback and we are thrilled that you like our burgers! I agree as well they are excellent and on Sundays they are half price. Sorry our restaurant recommendation did not work out. Most of the places we recommend are either from personal experience and the feedback we get from other guests. The numerous sights and attractions brings many of our guests back over and over. We hope to see you again soon and again, thanks for sharing your experience.

Strongsville, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I love Old Town Alexandria, Virginia. We had a hard time finding a hotel in DC that was affordable and large enough for a family of 5. We got a suite and it was perfect and not too costly by DC standards. It is close to the metro to go into DC for sightseeing and walking distance to the quaint shops and restaurants of Old Town, Alexandria, Virginia. And close to the water taxis to the baseball games. They had a van that would take you to the metro station. I would recommend this for DC sightseeing and relaxing in Old Town at night.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thanks so much for your feedback, we are glad you had a nice visit. We agree, the Sheraton Suites is a great place to call home when visiting Old Town Alexandria and the Washington DC area. The spacious suites and convenience to all the attractions make the hotel perfect for both leisure and business travelers. Please do come see us again so that on your next visit we can earn a perfect 5 star rating!

Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel numerous times for weekend getaways a few times a year. The weekend rates are not too expensive usually $99/night. We have learned that you can park in the neighborhood if you read the signs and park in the proper places. The rooms are large and comfortable. There is a Trader Joe's a few blocks away if you want to get snacks and beverages for your room. You can walk everywhere including to the Metro station if you wish to visit DC. The shops, galleries, and restaurants are numerous and lots of fun to visit any time. We have stayed at other hotels in Old Town but like this one especially when the price is right.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thanks so much for your comments and more importantly your long term loyalty. The price is always right here at the Sheraton Suites and the location is convenient to both Washington, D.C., Reagan National Airport, Arlington and of course Old Town Alexandria. Thanks again for staying at the Sheraton where you belong!!

Orange, Va
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

The good...Good hotel, room was nice with french doors between the sleeping area and the bedroom. Clean, great bed, good location, great price of 109.00 with included breakfast for 2.
The Bad....It cost us $20 to park the car which we had to park ourselves.
The AC/Heating in the room kept us a bit to warm and we could not cool the room down, our friends down the hall didn't have this problem....Due the the holiday season, the lounge was closed and only breakfast was being served.
Would I stay here a gain, I would.....But with so many hotels in the area I would choose one of them first if I could.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thanks so much for your feedback. I am sorry the restaurant was closed for dinner during the holidays as many of our customers choose other places over the holidays and the hotel was slower than usual. Hopefully, you were able to find local dining options that we provided that also included special discounts just for our guests. The hotel has individually controlled HVAC but if you really need to cool the room down fast in the winter we are fortunate to have windows that can be opened. This is a great feature as many hotels have the windows sealed. In fact it really only takes about 2 minutes as the cool air comes in fast due to the airpressure from the building. We want all of our guests to be completely satisfied so that they will return and tell others. I hope we can welcome you in the future so that we can demonstrate our commitment to your comfort.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Was here only one night for business. The one thing I didn't expect was the hefty charge for parking. Park on the street and avoid the parking garage fee. The street appeared to be fairly safe.

There are many places to eat and shop in the area. So, once your car is parked on the street, you don't want to lose your spot. You can walk to many nearby locations.

I found the staff and service to be great for my needs and the room was adequate.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Thanks so much for your comments. I am glad you found the local neighborhood parking to be acceptable. While we do charge more for our parking the convenience of having secure, safe underground parking at a competitive price is very attractive to many of our guests without having to worry about meters and street traffic. What is most important is that you had a relaxing stay and we hope that you will try us again and tell others.