“Nice hotel. Good area...except by Metro.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #21 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
California
“Nice hotel. Good area...except by Metro.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Sheraton Alexandria was a nice hotel. Staff was friendly and accomodating. Rooms were decent sized, but for a "suite" it could have been larger. Hotel has a small fitness room, and pool was only open in the afternoon and evening. Hotel restaurant was delicious. The area around the hotel was in a nice neighborhood. Market and Trader Joe's was down the block, although the majority of shopping and restaurants are a half mile away which isn't too bad since the walk is through a nice area. Parking was expensive, but there's a lot of public parking around the hotel which is safe. The only real con I see is the walk to the Metro. Distance wise it's not a bad walk: 6 blocks or a 10-15 minute walk. The problem is the last 2 blocks to the metro is through a "project". In the daytime it's fine, in the evening it was an issue for us since we were traveling with children and my teenage nieces got "hasseled" by the residents there. For this reason only would I choose a different hotel that is closer to the Metro. My suggestion is if you're reliant on public transportation like us, I would choose hotels closer to the "King Street" or "Crystal City" metro stops. Unfortunately hotels close to the "Braddock" station like the Sheraton Suites, isn't safe to walk in the evening...

Room Tip: Club Lounge rooms include breakfast.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback. I am glad you enjoyed the property and hope you visit again. As in most cities some things are unpredictable but let me assure you the Alexandria neighborhoods are very nice, recently redeveloped, and convenient to shopping, restaurants, and attractions. For those not wanting to make the short walks our shuttle service can be arranged for which adds to the convenience and charm of the area. Please do stay with us again and thanks again for your feedback.

Steve W.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I got a good deal using hotwire, so I am not sure i'd be quite as impressed had I paid full price. The hotel is nice and clean and the suites are comfy and well defined. The french doors between the bedroom and living are nice and the bathroom connects between the two which is a nice touch not always found. The bed was comfy and the room was quite. It's not the most accessible place if you don't have a car as its a little bit out of the main drag but as i was driving this was not an issue at all. I didn't have time to try their breakfast or anything but I got a great nights sleep and was happy with my stay. I would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thanks so much for your comments and I am glad you got such a great deal. The Sheraton Suites always provides the best value and you get a large clean and spacious suite for the price of a room. While located in a nice residential neighborhood we are only 7 blocks to King Street and the Braddock Metro Station. For those not able to walk we can always help with a shuttle to the metro station or to the King street shopping areas. Please do stay with us again and thanks again for your feedback.

Wyomissing, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Sheraton Suites Alexandria while visiting family in the area. Check in was efficient, and as Starwood members we were given some nice upgrades, including free parking, Club Floor and free internet. Our room was a standard suite with a sitting room that contained a microwave, TV, wet bar, safe and coffee maker. The bedroom was separated from the sitting room by double doors. The bathroom was on the small side.
We had breakfast in the hotel; food was good and served promptly. The employees of the hotel were all very polite, but I didn't feel the same warmth that I have felt at the Sheraton Gateway LA for example. That said, we really enjoyed having the extra space of a suite.
Old Town Alexandria is a fun place to stroll with high end boutiques, nice restaurants and a lovely waterfront. Mt. Vernon is close by, as is Washington DC. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thanks so much for your feedback about your recent visit. Old Town Alexandria is a great place to visit with shops, attractions, and restaurants just a short distance away and staying at the Sheraton brings great value in our spacious suites. I am sorry we did not connect with you as we try to do with all of our guests, but you can be sure we will try harder. Again, thanks for your feedback and we hope to see you again very soon!

Bothell, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Frankly, I was pretty stunned by the layout of my room - which was actually 3 rooms. A sitting room (with a loveseat, chair, and very nice desk), a bedroom with double doors, and the bathroom with entry from both the sitting room and the bedroom. The room even had a wet bar and a wine cooler.

The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. I needed to get a cab in the morning and it was ready to go by the time I got down the elevator.

The only negative thing about this hotel is that the internet is $10+/day. I don't find this a problem for business trips, but a real pain for personal/family travel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thanks so much for your comments. I am so glad you appreciated the great space for the same price as a regular room at another brand. That is nice but what is always even better is to be greeted and serviced by friendly and well trained staff. You can be sure we will continue to treat all of our guests as family. We hope all of your trips find you with us at the Sheraton Suites Old Town!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I normally stay in the Kimpton hotels in Alexandria, but decided to give the Sheraton a try after seeing that a lovely balcony room was available, and that pets were "welcomed for a $25 pet fee".
Alas, when I arrived, I was informed that the balcony rooms were not available to guests with pets! And that I had been downgraded to one of the standard "pet rooms" on the 2nd floor. I was very disappointed, and almost decided to switch hotels and just suck up the $300 I'd already paid, but opted to stay. Then freaked out briefly when I got to the room and saw only a breakfast menu, nothing about food the rest of the day, and wondered if I'd found the first ever Sheraton that doesn't offer room service. (which is a big problem for me, as I was traveling alone with my dog, and the pet policy states that I am not allowed to leave my dog alone in the room; so I wouldn't have even been able to get any food for us without room service). But eventually saw that there is a restaurant, and discovered a menu buried in an obscure drawer. Then ordered room service, and got a call: "I'm bringing the food up. But you have a dog, right? Can you lock it in the bathroom? Hotel policy". I've stayed with my dog in probably more than 50 hotels, and this is the first time I've ever been asked to "lock it in the bathroom"! So at this point I was very angry, and not planning to ever stay again. But once I calmed down, and decided to give the benefit of the doubt that perhaps the guy was scared of dogs and had had a bad experience with a mean guest pet, the hotel started to grow on me. I realized that I was actually in a very nice room with a very comfy bed, the dinner was good (breakfast was not, worst waffle I've ever had!), and it was a great neighborhood to stay with my dog. Lots of grassy areas nearby, and we were just a few blocks from Founders Park, Montgomery Park, and the waterfront. Not to mention that my dog was very popular with hotel staff & guests, she made a ton of new friends in the lobby and got a lot of petting and attention. The hotel is also walking distance to King Street, for those who are interested in the shops and restaurants. And I loved that the garage was self-park, I hate the valet parking at most Alexandria hotels. As for all the little extra charges that many reviews mention: I'm used to having to pay for everything in Starwood hotels, it's probably the only chain that still charges a fortune for internet use. But this is the first time that I've seen a coffee-maker in the room with a sign, "$3 per pack of coffee". That seems a little ridiculous! So in the end, I enjoyed my stay and thought it was a very nice hotel. There are some aspects of the pet policy that I found very annoying, and they should have been made more transparent on the website, but the park proximity almost made up for them. I would possibly stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thanks so much for your feedback about your recent visit. I am always glad to follow up on experiences such as yours so that we can learn and improve how we communicate. Our pet policy is not floor specific but we do try and keep pets on the lower floors so that guests can get there pets outside with the least amount of delays and other guests that have allergens can be confident they will not have a problem when they stay here. Most travelers with pets are aware of this and understand. With regard to our balcony rooms we do have a limited supply of them and they may not have been available when you arrived. We do not have a policy about where the dog should be when delivering food and we will certainly address this with our staff. I can only say from experience it is good to have pets restricted so they do not jump up or get to the food while we are delivering. Not all pets are the same so it is hard to know when a dog may be less obedient than others. Coffee is always complimentary but if you would like more we do ask that you pay for this and I am sorry the waffle was not to your liking. We do make them fresh and perhaps it was not cooked properly but you can be sure if you let us know we will always correct the problem. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your specific feedback so that we can learn and demonstarate our commitment to your comfort. Please do stay with us again.

Phoenix, AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

The is an older property in a decent location. It's maybe six block from King St., six blocks from the metro and a short cab ride from DCA - it's close to everything, but adjacent to nothing. The suites were overstuffed with furniture making them unnecessarily claustrophobic. Don't expect any coffee services in the lobby - "coffee can be purchased in our restaurant". The shower heads were low. All that said, if I was hanging out with friends or family in Old Town Alexandria I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thanks so much for your feedback. We agree the Sheraton Suites does provide solid value and while we are not on one of the main roads in Old Town many people like the quiet neighborhood with easy access to the subway, Reagan National Airport, and Washington DC. As you know the rates for our suites are an excellent value and similar to what other hotels charge for a standard hotel room. We encourage travelers to review our web site so they can see for themselves what the rooms look like and of course the many updates we have done in the last year such as guestroom and corridor carpet and new furniture. Please do stay with us again and thanks again for sharing your experience.

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

This is a great hotel with a great staff. It is located in the heart of Alexandria with easy access to the shops in old town as well as the Metro. The rooms are all suites, so you have a living room with office area, refrigerator and microwave as well as a small sink. Double doors lead to the bedroom and bathroom, which makes it great if there are more then one of you. You can walk in10 short minutes to the Metro line and less to the heart of Old Town!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Thanks so much for the great feedback and for sharing on Trip Advisor. Location, quality service, and a property that gives our guests everything they expect and more makes the Sheraton Suites a great place to stay. Please do come again!

Warm Regards,

Steve W.

Been to Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria? Share your experiences!