“Nice hotel. But pet-tolerant, not pet-friendly” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #21 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
New York City, New York
“Nice hotel. But pet-tolerant, not pet-friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I normally stay in the Kimpton hotels in Alexandria, but decided to give the Sheraton a try after seeing that a lovely balcony room was available, and that pets were "welcomed for a $25 pet fee".
Alas, when I arrived, I was informed that the balcony rooms were not available to guests with pets! And that I had been downgraded to one of the standard "pet rooms" on the 2nd floor. I was very disappointed, and almost decided to switch hotels and just suck up the $300 I'd already paid, but opted to stay. Then freaked out briefly when I got to the room and saw only a breakfast menu, nothing about food the rest of the day, and wondered if I'd found the first ever Sheraton that doesn't offer room service. (which is a big problem for me, as I was traveling alone with my dog, and the pet policy states that I am not allowed to leave my dog alone in the room; so I wouldn't have even been able to get any food for us without room service). But eventually saw that there is a restaurant, and discovered a menu buried in an obscure drawer. Then ordered room service, and got a call: "I'm bringing the food up. But you have a dog, right? Can you lock it in the bathroom? Hotel policy". I've stayed with my dog in probably more than 50 hotels, and this is the first time I've ever been asked to "lock it in the bathroom"! So at this point I was very angry, and not planning to ever stay again. But once I calmed down, and decided to give the benefit of the doubt that perhaps the guy was scared of dogs and had had a bad experience with a mean guest pet, the hotel started to grow on me. I realized that I was actually in a very nice room with a very comfy bed, the dinner was good (breakfast was not, worst waffle I've ever had!), and it was a great neighborhood to stay with my dog. Lots of grassy areas nearby, and we were just a few blocks from Founders Park, Montgomery Park, and the waterfront. Not to mention that my dog was very popular with hotel staff & guests, she made a ton of new friends in the lobby and got a lot of petting and attention. The hotel is also walking distance to King Street, for those who are interested in the shops and restaurants. And I loved that the garage was self-park, I hate the valet parking at most Alexandria hotels. As for all the little extra charges that many reviews mention: I'm used to having to pay for everything in Starwood hotels, it's probably the only chain that still charges a fortune for internet use. But this is the first time that I've seen a coffee-maker in the room with a sign, "$3 per pack of coffee". That seems a little ridiculous! So in the end, I enjoyed my stay and thought it was a very nice hotel. There are some aspects of the pet policy that I found very annoying, and they should have been made more transparent on the website, but the park proximity almost made up for them. I would possibly stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thanks so much for your feedback about your recent visit. I am always glad to follow up on experiences such as yours so that we can learn and improve how we communicate. Our pet policy is not floor specific but we do try and keep pets on the lower floors so that guests can get there pets outside with the least amount of delays and other guests that have allergens can be confident they will not have a problem when they stay here. Most travelers with pets are aware of this and understand. With regard to our balcony rooms we do have a limited supply of them and they may not have been available when you arrived. We do not have a policy about where the dog should be when delivering food and we will certainly address this with our staff. I can only say from experience it is good to have pets restricted so they do not jump up or get to the food while we are delivering. Not all pets are the same so it is hard to know when a dog may be less obedient than others. Coffee is always complimentary but if you would like more we do ask that you pay for this and I am sorry the waffle was not to your liking. We do make them fresh and perhaps it was not cooked properly but you can be sure if you let us know we will always correct the problem. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your specific feedback so that we can learn and demonstarate our commitment to your comfort. Please do stay with us again.

Steve W.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Phoenix, AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

The is an older property in a decent location. It's maybe six block from King St., six blocks from the metro and a short cab ride from DCA - it's close to everything, but adjacent to nothing. The suites were overstuffed with furniture making them unnecessarily claustrophobic. Don't expect any coffee services in the lobby - "coffee can be purchased in our restaurant". The shower heads were low. All that said, if I was hanging out with friends or family in Old Town Alexandria I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thanks so much for your feedback. We agree the Sheraton Suites does provide solid value and while we are not on one of the main roads in Old Town many people like the quiet neighborhood with easy access to the subway, Reagan National Airport, and Washington DC. As you know the rates for our suites are an excellent value and similar to what other hotels charge for a standard hotel room. We encourage travelers to review our web site so they can see for themselves what the rooms look like and of course the many updates we have done in the last year such as guestroom and corridor carpet and new furniture. Please do stay with us again and thanks again for sharing your experience.

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

This is a great hotel with a great staff. It is located in the heart of Alexandria with easy access to the shops in old town as well as the Metro. The rooms are all suites, so you have a living room with office area, refrigerator and microwave as well as a small sink. Double doors lead to the bedroom and bathroom, which makes it great if there are more then one of you. You can walk in10 short minutes to the Metro line and less to the heart of Old Town!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Thanks so much for the great feedback and for sharing on Trip Advisor. Location, quality service, and a property that gives our guests everything they expect and more makes the Sheraton Suites a great place to stay. Please do come again!

Warm Regards,

Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Stayed for one night this week at the Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria. The room was nice, not large, but I was only staying for one night. Most of the room was in great shape, but you could see the wear and tear on things like the coffee table, wallpaper, etc. While the room was clean, it felt like the normal care wasn't taken in making the room full presentable. For example, magazine for the area was on the desk while the Guest Services directory was hidden in the desk, lamp shades were skewed, no soap in the shower... little things that were noticeable for someone who stays in hotel quite often. The parking was overpriced at $25/nightly, would expect pricing more between $15-20/nightly or $25 for valet compared to others in the area.

One major plus was Room Service. Order was there within 15 minutes, the chicken on my chicken ceasar salad was fantastic, and they made sure to bring a glass of water, rolls & butter... the little extras other hotels leave out.

Overall, it was acceptable. Would stay again but wouldn't go out of my way to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Thanks so much for your feedback as it allows us to take a good look at how we can improve. While most of the guest room furnishings including the bed, carpet, and furniture have been replaced you can be sure we intend on finsihing the job by bringing in new coffee tables which are due in a few months. All of the rooms should always be properly stocked and in good repair and I am sorry you did not experience this. You can be sure we will redouble our efforts so that others do not have this problem. As for the parking fees while they may seem high, they are in keeping with the area and our underground, safe and secure garage is the best in town. Again, thanks so much for sharing your experience. We hope you will give us another try so that we can demonstrate our commitment to your comfort.

Dubai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Stayed there for 8 days. First of all the staff were great and friendly and the hotel does aim at pleasing the customer and that's why I couldn't give it less stars.
The suites and furniture and carpet are all in great condition and it is very comfy place. I did not particularly like the location as there are so many other hotels in the Crystal City area which is just 2 miles away.
The cleanness in the hotel is NOT a given... you have to kind of "request" it through complaining... The first two nights my wife complaint that there is so much dust in the room and they do not appear to vacuum at all... Even they did not clean the bathtub..Housekeeping probably passed by the room for 5 minutes just change sheets and towels do a quick wipe on the desk and leave... but when my wife complaint, they really paid attention and the room was very clean afterwards.
Parking is underground and cost $25 a night!! it is not good value unless you get a special deal with the hotel for about half that rate..I did and that did it for me...
The size of the room is not wow... compared with other extended stay concept like Hyatt House or Residence Inn, and there's no kitchen but just a microwave and coffee maker... but overall it was not an annoying experience... I can not complaint because I got an amazing 33% off pre-paid rate through the website which made it an amazing value... for that I would definately recommend, but once you cross $140+ a night then you have so so many options in the DC metro area to choose from.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Thanks so much for your comments as we appreciate the opportunity to improve. I want to personally apologize for the cleaning problems you experienced as all of our rooms should be given the same attention every day. We do have a special green program that only calls for replenishment of a few things but if you do not activate this option the entire room should be cleaned each day. I am sorry we let you down but I am glad you brought this to our attention so we could fix this. Our parking fees may seem high but we are very competitive in the area and the underground, secure garage is one of the best in Old Town. Overall I am glad you enjoyed your visit but I would love to have you back again soon so that we can demonstrate our commitment to your comfort.

Houston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I rated this stay as 'average' for a Sheraton---not comparing it to any other hotel chain. We spent 3 nights here this month. I have come to expect more from Sheraton than slow wifi internet, one elevator operating that takes 15 minutes between arrivals at the lobby floor and inability to raise the temperature in the room when it is cold. The smallish chest of drawers needed to be used with care as when each drawer was pulled out to insert things, it would nearly fall out. There were kids running up and down the hall on either our floor or another above us. All I know is I could here it in the evening until it subsided. These are the principal issues with this property.

The good points: comfy beds, microwave, clean room, frig, two flat screen TVs in room 820, average bathroom amenities, free PCs in the lobby (also with slow internet), a little store where you can purchase things, close proximity to a Giant brand grocery, free boarding pass print out (but to print anything else is going to cost you). Shuttle service from the hotel to King Street in Old Town was fine except for a bit of miscommunication between the front desk and bus driver. Also, transport between airport to the hotel and back was good. Personnel were helpful.

I guess I have come to expect more from a hotel where I need to conduct business.

Room Tip: End room, high floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thanks so much for your feedback as we truly appreciate guest comments both good and bad. I want to apologize that the hotel was not in the condition we expect as the elevators were tied up quite a bit during a sold out weekend and the young adults were sometimes hard to corral although they were very well behaved. All of our rooms do have thermostats for temperature control and the Wifi speed should be more than enough, however we are always glad to have our maintenance and IT tech's assist when we know about a problem. The chest of drawers are not suppose to be unattached and you can be sure this will be an immediate project for our staff. I am glad there were many other things you enjoyed and would love to have you back so that we can demonstrate our commitment to your comfort.

Best Regards,

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

We held a family reunion at the Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria over Labor Day weekend. Sales Manager Samantha Moskal worked with us to give our family an affordable rate -- with free parking and a hospitality suite -- in a lovely hotel. The staff is well trained, courteous, efficient and pleasant. The hotel itself is attractive and comfortable. The accommodations and its location made for a very successful reunion. I highly recommend this hotel.

Judy Doyle

Room Tip: All of the rooms are small suites and quite comfortable.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thanks so much for your kind words and for recognizing Samantha and the entire staff. It is truly on honor and a pleasure to be able to work with such a great family.

Steve W.

Been to Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria? Share your experiences!