“We will always stay here when we visit DC” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #21 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Rochester, New York
“We will always stay here when we visit DC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

I love this hotel. The rooms are spacious and clean. Both the bed and the sleeper sofa are comfortable to sleep on. There is a 24-hour gift shop for snacks and toiletries. Parking was plentiful even though they are making repairs to the garage. Housekeeping did an excellent job. The pool area was clean and the water was a good temperature. There was a lifeguard on duty. The only complaint I had was that the green cooler in the room didn't really keep anything cold. Parking is $22 a night and Wifi in the room is $10 a day. There is free Wifi and computers in the lobby, though.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, August 23, 2011
Thanks so much for your comments and for your support. I will certainly look into the cooler problem, but in the meantime please feel free to let me know when you visit again so that I can personally look after your room and all of your accommodations!

Warmest Regards as always.

Steve W.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Ellesmere, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

This is the fourth different hotel in which I have stayed in Alexandria, and whilst it was far from being a disastrous stay, there were a few things which were a little disappointing. Some of these may be common to Sheraton so it is perhaps not fair to single out this particular one, but I have stayed in a few and I do not remember having these issues before.

First as one previous reviewer commented, the King Suites are really very small for a family of four with luggage. I would definitely not recommend them unless you fancy negotiating an obstacle course every time you wish to move around the room.

Secondly the hotel's policy with regard to their shuttle service is very inconsistent amongst their staff. My wife and children arrived separately from me, at Alexandria Amtrak station, no more than a mile and a half from the hotel. I was initially led to believe by someone on reception that it might be possible for the shuttle driver to pick them up if he wasn't busy, even though it is not one of their scheduled pick up/drop off places. When the time came I was then informed that it was impossible for this to happen (no contact was made with the driver to even see if it were possible) and they ended up being ripped off to the tune of 20 dollars for a cab ride. Of course the morals of the cab driver are not the hotel's problem, but would it really have been that difficult to take 5-10 minutes out of their day to avoid this happening?

There were other minor quibbles, like only providing one coffee sachet free (how many suites contain only one person who wants a coffee? Not many, hence an easy way to make a bit more money) and having 'fridges' which are set to ensure that you cannot keep things cold, only cool (I would like to believe that this is all about saving the planet rather than saving money, but......). Again these may all be Sheraton global policies, as with their charges for internet in the room, but I somehow doubt it.

Having said that, their maintenance people came immediately when I found that water was leaking in through the bedroom window, housekeeping came straight away at 11pm when it transpired that the sheets on the sofa bed had not been changed and were dirty, and some of their food deals (half price burgers on Sundays and Mondays for instance, which at least bring their prices down to what you would expect to pay in a sports bar) are not bad. And of course within a ten minute walk (or a very short shuttle ride if you get lucky!) is King Street, which is really nice, or you can take their shuttle to the Metro and be in central DC within 20 minutes. So overall not a bad place to stay depending on what you pay, but I would probably favour the Monaco which for a similar price is right in the thick of it on Kings Street.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, August 15, 2011
Thanks so much for your feedback and for staying with us for so long. Of course I am sorry that the rooms were not as large as you would like but they are the same price as a regular room at the Monaco and much larger where other hotels charge a premium for suites. Our complimentary Shuttle service is one of our biggest challenges and making sure everyone communicates properly is a pitfall. We are always anxious to please but we must use restraint because there are times when demand for service to and from the airport becomes a priority and it is hard to predict when we will get busy. Even then during rush hour and other commitments it is hard to guarantee we will be available at the same time a guest is ready. Thank you for understanding.

We would certainly not like to be considered a hotel that nickel and dimes our guests and typically our fees for extra coffee and internet service is to simply cover our expenses so that we can keep our rates low especially for those that do not use those other services. The refrigerated coolers are in place simply for energy savings and we do have refrigerators available for a small fee. If you could imagine 50% of the coolers are rarely used and having 250 units running 24 hours a day would be excessive.

Your comments are very honest and helpful and I truly appreciate them. We are always looking for ways to improve and this helps out tremendously as we prepare and make decisions for the future. Please do stay with us again and by all means let me know when you get here.

Warmest Regards,

West Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

Stayed three nights here and it is less than a mile to the Metro and is an easy commute to DC. The waterfront boasts FANTASTIC restaurants and shops (The Fish Market is a must!) and the hotel is a block from the Giant grocery store.

The front desk staff was fair, but as we found in our 10 day trip, there is little front desk staff anywhere that seemed to go out of their way. Where you will find the best hospitality at this location is with the van drivers. We even got one driver to take us to the Metro station, even though it is not a place they typically go. These guys are hourly, but truly function off tips and are eager to give you great recommendations and service. Had a fire alarm the last night we were there - no fire, just probably some drunk guy stumbling out the wrong door. Only an inconvenience and glad to know their system worked well. Parking garage was under construction and a little confusing, but that was a minor detail at a very nice property. In-room fridge and separate TV's for the living and sleeping areas made this a must-stay.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Thanks so much for your comments and as I always say, we appreciate the feedback both good and bad. That being said all of our staff should be eager to please and I am sorry that the Front Desk did not demonstrate this. You can be sure we will follow up on your comments and I am glad the drivers took good care of you as they should. Hope to see you again soon!

Warm Regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

Stayed over night with friends. Ate at a wonderful place around the corner. The suites were nice. We paid for an upgrade to the club lounge which was adequate. It was worth it for the bottled water in the heat! Breakfast in the lounge was good.

Room Tip: Get a club level upgrade!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Thanks so much for your comments. Please come back soon!!

Regards,

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

We were forced to stay overnight when our connecting flight (through Reagen) to LA was cancelled...after a TERRIBLE experience with United, we arrived at the hotel dissapointed and grumpy.

However, everything quickly turned around once we arrived at the front desk. Not only were the front desk agents friendly, but they were extremely helpful - they called our hotel in LA and cancelled our room for us and insisted they waive the cancellation fees due to our flight change, and would not get off the phone until the hotel provided a confirmation number and agreed not to charge us. The suite style rooms are well arranged and very comfortable, and the the lobby is friendly and inviting.

We had initially thought we would try to make the most of our night and head into Washington, but the front desk associates suggested we check out Old Town Alexandria instead since it was already 8pm. We took the free shuttle to King Street and found an excellent spot for dinner and enjoyed strolling the streets and taking in the sights of the town.

Thanks to the front desk staff at the Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, the beginning of our vacation went from terrible to surprisingly fun and enjoyable. We are actually looking at coming back (on purpose this time!) and will definitely stay at this hotel again. Thank you once again to the staff (front desk, shuttle drivers, bellman) who turned our experience around and left us with great memories.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Champaign, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

My flight was cancelled and United Airlines gave me a room at Sheraton Suites for the night. I got to the hotel annoyed and tired. The person who checked me in was very nice and courtous.
I got to my room which was very spacial and took a nice shower. The room was clean and the environment in the room inviting. But I didn't give up - the change in mood got me back down to reception where I got some good ideas of what I should in town.
The hotel offered that the hotel shuttle will take me to King Street. The same shuttle does that route all day until 10 pm.

I have a great stay and I highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

we love staying in Old Town Alexandria and this hotel is great ... pet friendly ... close to everything including DC ...

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria? Share your experiences!