“From a travel disaster to dream vacation” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Cyber Monday Exclusive
Ranked #21 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Champaign, Illinois
“From a travel disaster to dream vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

My flight was cancelled and United Airlines gave me a room at Sheraton Suites for the night. I got to the hotel annoyed and tired. The person who checked me in was very nice and courtous.
I got to my room which was very spacial and took a nice shower. The room was clean and the environment in the room inviting. But I didn't give up - the change in mood got me back down to reception where I got some good ideas of what I should in town.
The hotel offered that the hotel shuttle will take me to King Street. The same shuttle does that route all day until 10 pm.

I have a great stay and I highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

we love staying in Old Town Alexandria and this hotel is great ... pet friendly ... close to everything including DC ...

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

The professionalism and courtesy of the staff and service providers is what distingushes this hotel from others. I am treated with respect from check in to check out. I can always count on a clean room and one in which I feel secure. Lastly the location provide's me easy excess to business appointments because of it's central location. Management is always available and eager to go the extra mile to make my stay enjoyable

Room Tip: Join the rewards program
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, July 27, 2011
Wow, thanks so much for your comments. We truly are willing to help all of our guests to make sure they have a great experience. I look forward to seeing you again soon!

Most Sincerely,

Long Island, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

The Suites are much smaller than I expected. The pull out bed is very uncomfortable and really there is not room for two small teenagers in the bed.

The carpets were stained.

The hotel was nice but if you read and think that you are getting a free breakfast -- look again you have to belong to their club to get the free breakfast.

Parking is $22.00 a day on top of all the other fees.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, July 26, 2011
Thank you very much for sharing your feedback. While some guests appreciate the one bedroom suites as they are much larger then regular rooms for the same price, others wish they were bigger and I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. Our pullout sofas are typical of most but not ideal when 2 teenagers are in them. The hotel has many different packages and some include breakfast, parking, internet, and club level access. Some guests find them appealing depending on what they need when staying with us and they usually provide excellent savings. I look forward to replacing the carpet in August and hope to have you back to check it out. Thanks again for your feedback and we hope to see you again!

Most Sincerely,

Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

Check-in staff were pleasant and helpful. Despite a large family reunion group and many families with kids, noise was not an issue at all. We had a king bed room on the 8th floor (Starwood Perferred Guest floor), where the hallway carpeting looked relatively new. The french doors separating the the living room from the bedroom was an attractive touch. The array of toiletries provided was amazing. In addition to over priced movies offered on the Lodge Net TV system, there was a decent selection of movies available for only $4.99!

Found parking on the street around the corner, thus avoiding the $22 parking charge. Also around the corner on Madison St. is a great italian restaruant called A La Lucia. Breakfast was included in the package we had. The coupons were for the buffet only which was fine but don't think it was worth the normal price of $15.95 The waffle maker was not working however. The serving staff were very attentative. The Royal Restaurant across from the hotel has a great breakfast as an alternative should you choose not to eat at the hotel.

Over all, a pleasant stay!

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Thanks so much for your comments we really appreciate them. You would think the hotel would get commission for all the guests that mention the Royal Restaurant next door and it is less expensive but a totally different experience. I am sorry the staff did not offer to make you a custom omelet with your buffet. This is always an option and I will make sure the staff is aware to offer it to all of our guests. Again, thanks for your comments and we hope to see you often.

Best Regards,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011 via mobile

Went down to restaurant for dessert and coffee. Server seemed exhausted. She was not rude but far from friendly either. I ordered coffee with cream and bread pudding. After 10 minutes or so she brought coffee but no cream. I asked her for it again and she brought it about 10 minutes later. A few minutes later she brought silverware and a napkin...none of this with a smile...no apologies for the delay. My dessert finally came 30 minutes later. By this time my coffee was cold. She made no effort to offer a refill...I was pretty well abandoned. The bread pudding was huge but it was not very good and had barely a tablespoon is sauce dabbled on top...it came with a scoop of vanilla ice cream that was freezer burnt. It had yellowish ice crystals in part of it. I ate some of the pudding but didn't finish when it was clear I would not be offered anymore coffee. I could not get her attention to pay my bill (she would disappear for 10+ minutes at a time) so I left and went to my room and explained it all to someone on the phone. I said they can charge it to my room if they need to but that I didn't think they should...or at the very least hive me a break on the price since the food and service were terrible. He didn't indicate what they'd do but asked how long I'm staying. So I don't know yet if they plan to try to help me feel better or not. To add to my disappointment, when I got back to my room, neither tv worked!!! The front desk said they'd send someone to check it but by 10 pm Boone had come so I went to bed, and here I am with nothing but my iPhone to provide relaxation. What should have been a lovely evening turned into one big headache.

• Stayed July 2011
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

I stayed at the Sheraton Suites in Old Town Alexandria for one night and found it to be a great hotel for the money I paid. The location is perfect if you are trying to take in Old Town Alexandria or visit downtown DC. The carpets in the hall were in need of replacement just like everyone says but the rooms were pleasant enough. The furniture was a bit worn and the sheets were not as soft as I would have liked but I did get a good nights sleep and found the room to be quite comfortable.

A few things I would mention:

Parking is $22.00 but there is parking available on the street if you can get it. I stayed on a Saturday night and parked right across the street from the hotel and saved the $22 I would have otherwise have spent to park in the garage. The area seemed safe and my car was not bothered in any way.

The shuttle to King street was not running when I was there. The hotel had a sign up that said that it was not running. This was a little bit annoying as it's advertised on their website but I guess there's not much you can do about that.

The front desk staff were very nice. Seth was absolutely fantastic and did a wonderful job of helping me with my bill. The front desk manager, Gina, was also very helpful over the phone and answered many of my questions. The front desk staff were top notch in my opinion.

Overall, a good and solid choice if you're looking for an affordable place to stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Been to Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria? Share your experiences!