“Excellent place to stay! So close to the city!” 5 of 5 stars

Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5975 Richmond Highway, Alexandria, VA 22303   |
Ranked #26 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Clay, West Virginia
“Excellent place to stay! So close to the city!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We arrived late on Friday night to the Red Roof. We had never stayed there and I was anxious about being in a new hotel. We have always stayed in Alexandria so I knew we would love the atmosphere but I wasn't sure about the hotel itself.

When we first walked through the door we were warmly greeted by the check-in staff, Ms. Mills. She was so warm and inviting that she immediately put all my fears at ease. She was also dressed VERY professionally, in a nice outfit and sophisticated pearls, not like the riff raff you usually see in hotels late at night. She got us checked in and told us where to go in just a few short minutes. Later when we called down the the front desk to ask a couple of questions she was immediate in her answering and so polite. (If more hotels had people like her working for them they would have more customers that leave happy!)

The room was wonderful. I love the hardwood flooring. Carpet in a hotel room is a very bad decision in my mind but they have beautiful hardwood in this one. The sink is a little high if you happen to be vertically challenged (or fun-sized as I like to call it) like I am, but only for teeth brushing and once you get the logistics of it down you are good to go. All in all a WONDERFUL stay at a WONDERFUL hotel in a great location.

If you are coming in on Richmond HWY from the South you have to pass the hotel and do a U-Turn right up the street, maybe 1/10 of a mile up to get in to the entrance but that would be the City of Alexandria's fault, not the RRI.

We will definitely stay here again! Love this area, love the close proximity to W, D.C. (About 6-7 miles up the George Washington Parkway), and LOVE this hotel!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
rri169, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Reading your review was a pleasure-Miss Mills is a new member of our team, but you would never know that! she has proven to be a great addition to our family. Thank you for taking the time to notice.

Shirley Jordan G.M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I stay in many red reoof inns during the year due to my traveling with a dog
This is the first red roof I have stayed in since their remodeling and the room is nice
The bed is good and clean. I like the new floor with less carpet this makes it easier to keep clean
I rated only a 4 since the room was clean yet could be cleaner. The staff needs to clean under the sink area. I will say Ms Mills is outstanding She greeted me by name when I walked in my first evening and was very professional and quick to get the paperwork done. The two gentleman the next morning could learn from her. I felt I was disturbing them and barely got a good morning with no offer of... How can I help you. I like the new rooms.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
rri169, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for the comments.... and you are correct Ms. Mills takes her job seriously.My goal is to get all of my team members to offer awesome service all of the time. I see I have some work to do! Thanks for the heads up.

Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I'm not sure about the multiple bad reviews written about this property. The front desk staff was very friendly. Arrived on a 100 degree day and the room was ice cold and clean. The hotel is not in a bad neighborhood but a few miles south; leads a lot to be desired. (This location is less than a mile off I-495 Beltway). There are many construction companies staying on the property and I did see a few guys drinking beer early in the evening outside my door. (These guys were not loud and went inside their rooms by 9:00 and didn't disturb me). With this being an Exterior door motel I could see where bugs might get into the room under the door. I did not experience any bug issues in my room. Overall a very satisfying place to stay for Economy segment lodging. This is a Red Roof and certainly not the "Ritz" or "Marriott" hotel segment. Just a note: They were replacing the Elevator when I checked out. Request a lower level room if this is an issue.

Room Tip: Rear facing rooms face woods and quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the words of motivation...we do get our share of construction crews-but typically the guys are well behaved. We work hard to ensure that all of our guests have a pleasant stay( including the crews)...Please know that we look forward to seeing you again in near future.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

The only thing positive was the location to get on and off the loop around DC. It was not in the best neighborhoods. People out on the walkway drinking excessively and being loud. The bedspread was sticky. The Elevator was broke , the ice machines broke.
I would not be surprised if they don't have hourly rates.
Keep going down the road.

• Stayed July 2013
Sorry to hear that your stay did not meet your expectaions! Our goal is to make it right! Knowledge would have given us the power to correct all of your concerns...I hope you give us another opportunity to prove that we are committed to providing awesome customer service and a clean quiet room.

Harrisonburg, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I had reservations for the entire week and the first 3 nights, things were ok.. The front desk staff is great and as accommodating as possible. Woke the 4th morning and flipped on the light, and a huge roach was crawling across the microwave. There is also someone living there with a big black dog that barked everytime I opened or closed my door. However, if it wasnt for the bug issue, I would have given the room and overall experience average ratings.

• Stayed July 2013
Glad to hear that my team was great! Very sorry to hear that you had to deal with a barking dog and bugs. We take pest control very seriously, and get the property treated monthly. We would have placed that room out of service(if we had been notified)..We are pet friendly, -but will take any action necessary to ensure our other guests are not disturbed !!! please accept my apology for your inconvenience during your stay...

richmond
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

The rooms were clean , the clerk was very friendly. I was there on a business trip and it was good. I was there for 5 days , the restaurants were ok. The rooms are nice and very comfortably, spacious also. Ms.Mills and Sudin were great.RRI 169

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for the comments... I will be sure to pass them on to my team. Hope to see you soon!

Shirley JordanG.M
Southern Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Booked through Priceline...(you get what you pay for). I actually booked for two days, but wasn't comfortable there....ended up at another hotel IMMEDIATELY upon inspecting the room. Room was smelly, reeked of smoke (just like the check-in lobby). Mold in bathroom/bathtub/shower curtain. Wood floor was unswept. Hole under the front door of the room (perhaps dirt from floor was blown in) Sheets on the bed had mildew on them. Elevator wasn't operational (although not affected b/c I was on lower level). Front desk lady was very friendly. I was disgusted.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
rri169, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
I really do appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of your concerns. This is really important to all of my team members. Please know that we are in the process of retraining our clean team, in order to prevent this from happening in the future.Again, thank you!