“lipstick on a pig” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Charlotte, North Carolina
“lipstick on a pig”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

new furniture in a tiny room/ outdoor entrances/ highway noise/ ac unit chugging away. no breakfast or coffee in the room.. bed was comfortable/ bathroom tub leaked/ toilet was running.. and saw a clump of hair on the floor.. just needed a place to sleep..checkin and check out staff were both very friendly.. and red roof did it's job..

Room Tip: try to get a room not facing the highway
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
rri169, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Sorry to hear we did not exceed your expectations, but your comments and concerns help us to make improvements on our product. Our engineer is working on making that room guest ready. Thanks for choosing Redroof .

Shirley Jordan G.M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

For what the Red Roof charge a night you get nothing....you can stay at the Relax Inn right next door for $65 and get a king size bed with fridge and microwave.....and it's clean. With money you save you can order in from some nice restaurants and site see.

• Stayed March 2013
Our goal is to be a good value in comparison to our competition. We often have Red Hot deals on our web site. For your next visit please book on Redroof.com

Rancho Mirage, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We rented a car at Washington Dulles Airport and drove to Old Alexandria for this hotel which was like 1/4$ of DC hotels. Office Staff is very pleasant and helpful. Coffee and tea is available 24 hours in the reception area and in your room. The floor is wood and very clean. We drove the mile to the metro station to get into DC which is quicker, pleasant and cheaper. There is a parking building at the metro if you don't want to walk. After staying 8 nights, Red Roof mailed me a coupon for a free night. Thank you, Red Roof. I LOVE free. I'll be back.

Room Tip: We were upper floor in the rear off the highway and it was comfortable and room had darkening shades...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Great to hear you had a pleasant stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again, very soon...free is always good, Right?

Shirley Jordan G. M
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed at this hotel April 2-April 7, 2013. When we first arrived, the staff was friendly and since the place had been recently renovated, we had good expectations. When we opened the door, the room was VERY small with a king bed, counter, chair, sink and adjacent bathroom. We looked beyond that at the fact that we were reasonably close to a Metro stop to take into DC so our truck could just sit still for the week.
Well, we unpacked our things and headed to the Metro to spend the day in DC exploring. When we returned that evening around 8pm, we had a snack and went to bed. I had eaten from a package of cookies that sit in rows in a tray - 4 cookies to a row. I am telling you this for the visual. There was one row left when I went to bed. The next morning, I woke up and as we prepared to head back to DC, I decided to have a couple cookies to curb my appetite til we ate. I opened the package and grabbed a couple and began munching. I realized that even though I'd replaced the tray and closed the package tightly, they must have gotten a little stale because they tasted funny. Just as I swallowed the last of the 2 in my mouth, I looked over at the tray and the remaining 2 cookies were COVERED IN ANTS!!!!!! I wanted to throw up right there. And as if THAT wasn't bad enough, our door stopped locking from the outside on Saturday and anyone could have walked up and right in. Well, if you have ever been to DC, you know that every second counts every day or you won't get to see much. We called the desk and they had the maintenance guy running the desk!! He couldn't get away! So after 45 minutes, he FINALLY got the door fixed after my wife went downstairs as I was messing with the door and demanded someone come up. Also, we had dinner on Friday night with chicken broth and a small bit of it was soaked onto a towel which we placed in the floor. Next morning, you guessed it...COVERED IN ANTS!! Housekeeping left clean towels ONCE and NEVER left any toilet paper...which was only half a roll when we got there. I'd say go elsewhere. We stayed because we got this place thru Hotwire at what we thought was a deal. It DEFINITELY ISN'T WORTH THE MONEY THEY ARE GOUGING CUSTOMERS FOR!!!!!! STAY AWAY!!!! I don't care what other advisors on here say about it, we read the good ones too and were excited, BAAAHHHH!!

• Stayed April 2013
Please except my apologies, clearly we dropped the ball . I will not make excuses for not being more attentive to your concerns. Our goal is to provide you with a pleasant experience, My team is in the process of checking doors / locks on all rooms. Our vendor is scheduled to come out and spray for ants. I hope you will give us another chance to make it right! Thanks for your comments.

Jackson, Wyoming
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stayed here for just one night and picked this hotel because of its location, cost and tripadvisor reviews. It did not disappoint. Nicely refurnished and very roomy. Fairly comfortable beds, and quiet room if you're on the rear side of the building. Air conditioner unit is a little loud, but that's kind of expected. Staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. Bathroom could have been slightly cleaner, but it was nothing that would prevent me from staying here in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Glad to Hear you are pleased with our New Rooms- we are working with our clean team to ensure the cleanliness of the rooms exceed the expectations of our visitors. Hope to see you soon...

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I stayed with my family and this hotel is really nice. Rooms are clean and very close to many restaurants. 5 minutes drive to DC attractions. Close to metro station. I would recommend this Hotel to anybody.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
rri169, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
...we take pride in the renovations and it's good to hear that our guests are pleased. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Thank you!
michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

The rooms here have been refurbished with the faux wood floor and large flat screened tv. Bathroom sink updated. Room was very clean and comfortable. Would definitely stay here again. I machines didn't all function, but were apparently turned off for the winter. Decent location...not far from Olde Town.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria? Share your experiences!