“Great place...if you like ANTS!!!!” 3 of 5 stars

You added Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria to your Saves list
Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5975 Richmond Highway, Alexandria, VA 22303   |
Ranked #25 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
“Great place...if you like ANTS!!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel April 2-April 7, 2013. When we first arrived, the staff was friendly and since the place had been recently renovated, we had good expectations. When we opened the door, the room was VERY small with a king bed, counter, chair, sink and adjacent bathroom. We looked beyond that at the fact that we were reasonably close to a Metro stop to take into DC so our truck could just sit still for the week.
Well, we unpacked our things and headed to the Metro to spend the day in DC exploring. When we returned that evening around 8pm, we had a snack and went to bed. I had eaten from a package of cookies that sit in rows in a tray - 4 cookies to a row. I am telling you this for the visual. There was one row left when I went to bed. The next morning, I woke up and as we prepared to head back to DC, I decided to have a couple cookies to curb my appetite til we ate. I opened the package and grabbed a couple and began munching. I realized that even though I'd replaced the tray and closed the package tightly, they must have gotten a little stale because they tasted funny. Just as I swallowed the last of the 2 in my mouth, I looked over at the tray and the remaining 2 cookies were COVERED IN ANTS!!!!!! I wanted to throw up right there. And as if THAT wasn't bad enough, our door stopped locking from the outside on Saturday and anyone could have walked up and right in. Well, if you have ever been to DC, you know that every second counts every day or you won't get to see much. We called the desk and they had the maintenance guy running the desk!! He couldn't get away! So after 45 minutes, he FINALLY got the door fixed after my wife went downstairs as I was messing with the door and demanded someone come up. Also, we had dinner on Friday night with chicken broth and a small bit of it was soaked onto a towel which we placed in the floor. Next morning, you guessed it...COVERED IN ANTS!! Housekeeping left clean towels ONCE and NEVER left any toilet paper...which was only half a roll when we got there. I'd say go elsewhere. We stayed because we got this place thru Hotwire at what we thought was a deal. It DEFINITELY ISN'T WORTH THE MONEY THEY ARE GOUGING CUSTOMERS FOR!!!!!! STAY AWAY!!!! I don't care what other advisors on here say about it, we read the good ones too and were excited, BAAAHHHH!!

• Stayed April 2013
rri169, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Please except my apologies, clearly we dropped the ball . I will not make excuses for not being more attentive to your concerns. Our goal is to provide you with a pleasant experience, My team is in the process of checking doors / locks on all rooms. Our vendor is scheduled to come out and spray for ants. I hope you will give us another chance to make it right! Thanks for your comments.

Shirley Jordan G.M

194 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Jackson, Wyoming
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stayed here for just one night and picked this hotel because of its location, cost and tripadvisor reviews. It did not disappoint. Nicely refurnished and very roomy. Fairly comfortable beds, and quiet room if you're on the rear side of the building. Air conditioner unit is a little loud, but that's kind of expected. Staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. Bathroom could have been slightly cleaner, but it was nothing that would prevent me from staying here in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Glad to Hear you are pleased with our New Rooms- we are working with our clean team to ensure the cleanliness of the rooms exceed the expectations of our visitors. Hope to see you soon...

Shirley Jordan G.M
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I stayed with my family and this hotel is really nice. Rooms are clean and very close to many restaurants. 5 minutes drive to DC attractions. Close to metro station. I would recommend this Hotel to anybody.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
rri169, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
...we take pride in the renovations and it's good to hear that our guests are pleased. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Thank you!
michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

The rooms here have been refurbished with the faux wood floor and large flat screened tv. Bathroom sink updated. Room was very clean and comfortable. Would definitely stay here again. I machines didn't all function, but were apparently turned off for the winter. Decent location...not far from Olde Town.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

My boyfriend and I were looking for an affordable hotel around the DC area. We chose the Red Roof Inn because of the great reviews that we read online. Luckily, the hotel lived up to their reviews. We made reservations for the Superior King Room. It was perfect. Clean room, newly renovated. It had a safe, microwave and fridge. It was located within minutes from a Metro Station and had plenty of restaurants and stores within quick driving distance. I felt very safe in the hotel. The parking lot was well lit and the front desk staff was very friendly. I recommend this Red Roof Inn to anyone who is looking for an affordable and nice hotel just outside of the DC area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
rri169, Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
We are pleased to hear that we exceeded your expectations and helped to make your time away from home pleasant. I will pass your comments on to my team! Spring Break should be fun!

Shirley Jordan
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Stopped in DC area and found RR on the web with a good site and made reservation. Arrived and was warmly welcomed, fast check in , and friendly people all around. Some great recommendations for places to eat and go see. Great bike path only 10 min away with large parking area and it leads all the way to Alexandria waterfront and DC if you want.....Great ride. Overall clean , neat , and inexpensive place to stay....will come back if in DC/ Alexandria area anytime. Thanks again to the staff for a great stay for a five day stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

This location appears to have been just recently renovated. The rooms are new and well kept. In addition, the rooms have a fridge and microwave which is an amazing amenity to have for the price. In addition, there is a washer and dryer unit, $1.50 and $2.00 respectively at the end of the building. Didn't use them but that is a rare, and useful amenity.

The location is good as a base for sightseeing in D.C. assuming you have a car. The highway it is on let's you bypass the beltway and major highways into downtown D.C. so the trip into the city is much nicer with less traffic.

While there is no breakfast, there is coffee and hot water for tea in the lobby. The hotel is around several restaurants (within driving distance). We didn't take the Metro so I can't comment on how close it was.

Room Tip: Rooms on the backside will be much quieter as they don't face the highway.