“The best Red Roof had to offer!” 5 of 5 stars

Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5975 Richmond Highway, Alexandria, VA 22303   |
Ranked #25 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
“The best Red Roof had to offer!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I have stayed (with my two dogs) in Red Roof Inns all across the country and this one ranks as the very best. Beautiful new rooms with hard flooring (to avoid that "ick, I don't want to touch the carpet with my bare feet" feeling). Clean, attractive, everything worked AND...this place is smoke free which eliminates the rotten smoky smell that you just can't get out of the fabrics in rooms smokers stay in. Great location just off 95. Very close to downtown DC from local metro stop. Lots of shops and restaurants nearby. This place is a real winner!

• Stayed November 2012
rri169, Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Good morning;

My name is Robert Whaley, and I am the general manager of the Red Roof Inn here in Alexandria Va. I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to fill out a Trip Advisor review in regards to your stay with us. Your positive comments were great to hear and I will share your review with my team members. Hopefully Red Roof Inns will become your hotel of choice when you travel.
Please have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving.

196 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Fairport Harbor, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Pay a little more and get a real hotel room. For a hotel that had been recently updated, this room had a musty or moldy odor which followed us home in our suitcases. My C-PAP machine had the same stink until I washed all of the washable parts. Not even a coffee-pot in the room. The large window that overlooked the parking lot was filthy. We knew going in that this was a no-frills stay, but were totally unprepared for the extent of the deprivation of simple accommodations.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
rri169, Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Good morning;

My name is Robert Whaley and I am the general manager here at the Red Roof Inn in Alexandria Va. I am writing to let you know that you have my sincerest apologies for what appears to have been a very distasteful stay with us.Please rest assured that I will be working very closely with my housekeeping and maintenance teams to ensure immediate improvement.I honestly hope that you will try us again in your future travels.
south yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Stayed on Halloween night! The staff at the desk were brilliant. We were hopelessly lost and had to keep phoning to find our way( our fault we got lost) and the guy at the desk got us here safely.The room was clean and spacious with a small bathroom but I liked the fact I could soak in the bath as always. Nice granite sink and plenty of lighting. The t.v was nice except the signal was not good and no coffee maker in the room. I was worried when we first arrived, as we were in a room next to 3 youths who were drinking on the balcony/room next to us and being sick, or pretending to be. However, after an hour they went somewhere and not a peep after, so a good night was had by all.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
rri169, Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Good morning;

My name is Robert Whaley, and I am the general manager here at the Red Roof Inn Alexandria Virginia. I would like to first thank you for taking the time out of your day to submit a response. Your bringing the TV situation to our attention is much appreciated and will be rectified. As for your inconsiderate neighbors I honestly apologize and am thankful that their disruption was brief. I hope that in your future travels that your will make Red Roof Inn your choice in accommodations. Hope that you have a wonderful weekend.

Red Roof Inns
Quebec City, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

The office staff is very helpful and friendly. My first experience with Red Roof is very satisfying. I would return. The new rooms are nicely done and comfortable. Tub/shower could use an update. Nice sink though. We brought our small dog and he was welcomed and happy. Good exercise area out back for him.

• Stayed October 2012
rri169, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Good afternoon;

My name is Robert Whaley and I am the General Manager of the Red Roof Inn here in Alexandria, Va,. I can not tell you how pleased and grateful that I am for you to take the time to post a review about our hotel. I am pleased that you did enjoy your stay with us. The good news is that we are currently receiving bids to have our tubs re-done. I do hope that when you are in the area again that you will again choose us for your hotel accommodations. Please have a wonderful day.

Goodyear, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here three nights. About a mile from the metro. Beds were comfortable, rooms were okay. Can use your MetroCard to take a bus from across Huntington St to the metro, a walk of about 2 blocks, need to cross two busy streets.
They redid the rooms, putting the sinks on top of the counters which makes them hard for anyone who is not very tall to use. I am 5' 7", and the sink was difficult for me to use.

• Stayed September 2012
rri169, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Good morning;

My name is Robert Whaley, general manager Red Roof Inn, Alexandria Virginia. I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for for posting a review for our hotel on Trip Advisor. Believe me I do understand your comments in regards to the raised sinks and will pass them on to my supervisors. I do honestly hope that this will not prevent you from staying with us in the near future. Have a wonderful day. :-)

Swindon, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

We stopped here for one night on our way back to Dulles Airport. The price was reasonable and the room clean and tidy. No complaints, it's a decent hotel of its type and you get what you pay for. The Reception staff were really excellent, friendly and helpful and overall the place was basic but well looked after.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter as there is a highway out front.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Good morning;

My name is Robert Whaley, general manager of the Red Roof Inn hotel here in Alexandria, Virginia, and I would like to thank you for taking the time out of what I am sure is a busy day to write a review of our hotel on Trip Advisor. Comments from our guests are always most welcome, and we look forward to your staying with us again should you return to the area.
Again, many thanks.

Alexandria, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I chose the Red Roof Inn because of the price and decent reviews on here about the recent renovations. We were staying three nights so we could look for an apartment. After a long drive, I had second thoughts pulling up to the hotel. There were next to no parking spots available because they were repaving the lot or something. It was obviously the end of the day for the pavers because they were hanging out by their vehicles grilling and drinking beer. People were hanging off the balconies smoking and talking to people in the parking lot also. We went to check-in, and the person at the desk just handed us hotel keys and that was it - didn't even bother to tell us where the room was located until I asked and verified the room number. She had written 306 on the envelope, but it was very unclear and said 300 instead. She also asked for what kind of car we had.

The room itself looked nice after the recent renovations, but it was nothing overly fancy. The air conditioner was loud and had a horrible smell coming from it. It appeared to be one of the few things that hadn't been replaced. The cable channels weren't impressive either, unless you enjoy CNN or ESPN. The room was decent enough to stay in, but it was what was going on outside that made our stay less desirable.

We had to park our car at the far end of the hotel because of the horrible parking situation the night before. We walked over to leave the next morning (around 10am) to find that our car was the only one there and was blocked in by cones on both sides because they were paving or whatever. I don't know if it was the paving people or management who made the decision to block cars in, but either way, why on earth would you block a guest's car in without notifying them or anything? They had also set up a tent, blocking off even more parking. Thankfully another guest who was parked on the other side of the cones was leaving, so we simply moved cones and barely made it out of the lot we were blocked in to. As we were looking at an apartment complex across the street, we could see the entire driveway being blocked off by cones also and were happy we didn't have to return any time soon. When we returned later, it appeared as if the driveway was just being opened up so people could get in and more of the lot was opened. We were able to park just under our room for the rest of our stay, but we never knew if they'd randomly close up the lot when we'd return for the night.

We wouldn't have been as disappointed as we were if management would have been a little better in communicating that work was being done on the parking lot. We weren't told at all when we checked in about anything or any notice that a certain portion would be closed that was open the night before. They didn't ask for a license plate number, but you would think if they asked for the make of the car, they could at least try to track down whose car could possibly be blocked in. Again, it could have been the paving people who made the decision also, but either way, it was very poor of them to allow a guest's car to be blocked like that.

We are completely moving in a few days and have decided to pay a little more at a different hotel. Red Roof Inn wasn't horrible, but I wasn't fully impressed even if they did just renovate.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
rri169, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Good afternoon;

My name is Robert Whaley, and I am the general manager here at the Red Roof Inn here in Alexandrai, Va. I just want to thank you for taking the the time to complete a review on Trip Advisor. Please also accept my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you experienced with the parking situation. I have also replaced the air conditioner in the room in which you stayed in.Our renovations are 100% complete now, and I truly do hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future.

Robert Whaley

Been to Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria? Share your experiences!