“Good accommodations at a reasonable price” 4 of 5 stars

Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5975 Richmond Highway, Alexandria, VA 22303   |
Ranked #26 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Quebec City, Canada
“Good accommodations at a reasonable price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

The office staff is very helpful and friendly. My first experience with Red Roof is very satisfying. I would return. The new rooms are nicely done and comfortable. Tub/shower could use an update. Nice sink though. We brought our small dog and he was welcomed and happy. Good exercise area out back for him.

• Stayed October 2012
rri169, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Good afternoon;

My name is Robert Whaley and I am the General Manager of the Red Roof Inn here in Alexandria, Va,. I can not tell you how pleased and grateful that I am for you to take the time to post a review about our hotel. I am pleased that you did enjoy your stay with us. The good news is that we are currently receiving bids to have our tubs re-done. I do hope that when you are in the area again that you will again choose us for your hotel accommodations. Please have a wonderful day.

200 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Goodyear, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here three nights. About a mile from the metro. Beds were comfortable, rooms were okay. Can use your MetroCard to take a bus from across Huntington St to the metro, a walk of about 2 blocks, need to cross two busy streets.
They redid the rooms, putting the sinks on top of the counters which makes them hard for anyone who is not very tall to use. I am 5' 7", and the sink was difficult for me to use.

• Stayed September 2012
rri169, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Good morning;

My name is Robert Whaley, general manager Red Roof Inn, Alexandria Virginia. I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for for posting a review for our hotel on Trip Advisor. Believe me I do understand your comments in regards to the raised sinks and will pass them on to my supervisors. I do honestly hope that this will not prevent you from staying with us in the near future. Have a wonderful day. :-)

Swindon, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

We stopped here for one night on our way back to Dulles Airport. The price was reasonable and the room clean and tidy. No complaints, it's a decent hotel of its type and you get what you pay for. The Reception staff were really excellent, friendly and helpful and overall the place was basic but well looked after.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter as there is a highway out front.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Good morning;

My name is Robert Whaley, general manager of the Red Roof Inn hotel here in Alexandria, Virginia, and I would like to thank you for taking the time out of what I am sure is a busy day to write a review of our hotel on Trip Advisor. Comments from our guests are always most welcome, and we look forward to your staying with us again should you return to the area.
Again, many thanks.

Alexandria, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I chose the Red Roof Inn because of the price and decent reviews on here about the recent renovations. We were staying three nights so we could look for an apartment. After a long drive, I had second thoughts pulling up to the hotel. There were next to no parking spots available because they were repaving the lot or something. It was obviously the end of the day for the pavers because they were hanging out by their vehicles grilling and drinking beer. People were hanging off the balconies smoking and talking to people in the parking lot also. We went to check-in, and the person at the desk just handed us hotel keys and that was it - didn't even bother to tell us where the room was located until I asked and verified the room number. She had written 306 on the envelope, but it was very unclear and said 300 instead. She also asked for what kind of car we had.

The room itself looked nice after the recent renovations, but it was nothing overly fancy. The air conditioner was loud and had a horrible smell coming from it. It appeared to be one of the few things that hadn't been replaced. The cable channels weren't impressive either, unless you enjoy CNN or ESPN. The room was decent enough to stay in, but it was what was going on outside that made our stay less desirable.

We had to park our car at the far end of the hotel because of the horrible parking situation the night before. We walked over to leave the next morning (around 10am) to find that our car was the only one there and was blocked in by cones on both sides because they were paving or whatever. I don't know if it was the paving people or management who made the decision to block cars in, but either way, why on earth would you block a guest's car in without notifying them or anything? They had also set up a tent, blocking off even more parking. Thankfully another guest who was parked on the other side of the cones was leaving, so we simply moved cones and barely made it out of the lot we were blocked in to. As we were looking at an apartment complex across the street, we could see the entire driveway being blocked off by cones also and were happy we didn't have to return any time soon. When we returned later, it appeared as if the driveway was just being opened up so people could get in and more of the lot was opened. We were able to park just under our room for the rest of our stay, but we never knew if they'd randomly close up the lot when we'd return for the night.

We wouldn't have been as disappointed as we were if management would have been a little better in communicating that work was being done on the parking lot. We weren't told at all when we checked in about anything or any notice that a certain portion would be closed that was open the night before. They didn't ask for a license plate number, but you would think if they asked for the make of the car, they could at least try to track down whose car could possibly be blocked in. Again, it could have been the paving people who made the decision also, but either way, it was very poor of them to allow a guest's car to be blocked like that.

We are completely moving in a few days and have decided to pay a little more at a different hotel. Red Roof Inn wasn't horrible, but I wasn't fully impressed even if they did just renovate.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
rri169, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Good afternoon;

My name is Robert Whaley, and I am the general manager here at the Red Roof Inn here in Alexandrai, Va. I just want to thank you for taking the the time to complete a review on Trip Advisor. Please also accept my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you experienced with the parking situation. I have also replaced the air conditioner in the room in which you stayed in.Our renovations are 100% complete now, and I truly do hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future.

Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Newly remodeled room... got interrupted during an afternoon nap because they needed to put in a larger TV. Darn. Looked to me like they were finishing the rest of the remodeling on the 2nd floor.
Service was excellent... close to everything, stores, metro, etc.

Room Tip: back rooms will likely be less noisy... Main road out front is busy.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
rri169, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Good afternoon Sir;

My name is Robert Whaley, and I am the general manager of the Red Roof Inn, here in Alexandria. I would like to first apologize if you were inconvenienced in any way during your stay with us. Our complete hotel renovation should be finished in just a day or two, and I really like to thank you for taking the time to submit a review. Hopefully you will in the near future have an opportunity to visit with us again to enjoy our all new hotel!

San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

My partner and her 85 year old mother stayed stayed 3 nights (Saturday, Sunday and Monday) and I stayed just Monday. The place looks fine from the outside, clean and well maintained, elevator, stairwells on either end and in the center, and the room was fine. When my partner made reservations, she was told that renovations were under way but would be completed by her reservation date. Their room was in the back on the 3rd level near the center stairwell; the first night there was loud partying until 2 a.m. and the next morning empty bottles and cans lined the railing outside their room. When I arrived on the 3rd night, there was still evidence of the partying, a carton of empty bottles and some loose ones on the ground next to the ground floor stairwell. The key card failed to work 3 three different times and my partner had to go to the office to have it re-keyed. Renovations were NOT complete. When I arrived on Monday workers were painting the center stairwell, but when we came back from dinner Monday evening the elevator was out of service, forcing 85 y,o. Mom to walk up 3 flights of stairs. The next morning, the elevator was still out of service and the center stairwell was also blocked off, forcing all of us to make several trips up and down 3 flights of stairs to load up the car as well as navigate our way around the various workers. My partner spoke to 2 different desk clerks - the first one told her there had been a car show on Saturday and the second offered no explanations or apologies and promised that the manager would be in contact by phone or e-mail (we were never contacted). ANALYSIS: Renovations are nice however not in the middle of tourist season, and lying about it not OK. Maybe there WAS a car show on Saturday night, but it's Management's responsibility to provide a quiet environment and pleasant experience for all guests, not just the heavy party crowd. The key card not working three separate times is unacceptable. Failure of the owner/manager to contact a guest who complains is also unacceptable. I guess they don't care if guests are happy. Granted the room was fine, the location and price were right, but we won't be staying there again.

Room Tip: The location and price are fine so if you must stay here, ask for a room in the front, especially if...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
rri169, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria, responded to this review, August 18, 2012
Good afternoon Sir;

My name is Robert Whaley, and I am the general manager of the Red Roof Inn here in Alexandria, Va. I am writing to thank you for your open and honest feedback and to offer you my sincerest apologies for the various issues that you and your family experienced while staying with us. Please rest assured that I will be personally following up my entire team to ensure that situations such as those mentioned do not occur in the future. Should you have any future accommodation requirements in this area I would genuinely hope that you would contact me personally for your reservations allowing me hopefully in some small way make up for our previous short comings. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

The newly renovated Red Roof Alexandria, VA is truely an outstanding value for travelers. The new room renovation and flat screen 32 inch tv could make you believe you were in the Capital paying 3 times the room rate. Sarah the front desk manager, Debbie the evening manager, and Robert Whaley General Manager are all true professionals. I would recommend this property to anyone that is looking for value and location in Alexandria Va.

Room Tip: Book Early!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
rri169, Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Good morning;

My name is Robert Whaley, and I am the general manager here at the Red Roof Inn Alexandria Virginia. I would like to first thank you for taking the time out of your day to submit a response.
Your high praise is very much appreciated. We all definately look forward to your future visits to not only my property but to any Red Roof Inn. I hope that in your future travels that your will make Red Roof Inn your choice in accommodations. Hope that you have a wonderful weekend.

Red Roof Inns

Been to Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria? Share your experiences!