“Not impressed.” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Alexandria, Virginia
“Not impressed.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I chose the Red Roof Inn because of the price and decent reviews on here about the recent renovations. We were staying three nights so we could look for an apartment. After a long drive, I had second thoughts pulling up to the hotel. There were next to no parking spots available because they were repaving the lot or something. It was obviously the end of the day for the pavers because they were hanging out by their vehicles grilling and drinking beer. People were hanging off the balconies smoking and talking to people in the parking lot also. We went to check-in, and the person at the desk just handed us hotel keys and that was it - didn't even bother to tell us where the room was located until I asked and verified the room number. She had written 306 on the envelope, but it was very unclear and said 300 instead. She also asked for what kind of car we had.

The room itself looked nice after the recent renovations, but it was nothing overly fancy. The air conditioner was loud and had a horrible smell coming from it. It appeared to be one of the few things that hadn't been replaced. The cable channels weren't impressive either, unless you enjoy CNN or ESPN. The room was decent enough to stay in, but it was what was going on outside that made our stay less desirable.

We had to park our car at the far end of the hotel because of the horrible parking situation the night before. We walked over to leave the next morning (around 10am) to find that our car was the only one there and was blocked in by cones on both sides because they were paving or whatever. I don't know if it was the paving people or management who made the decision to block cars in, but either way, why on earth would you block a guest's car in without notifying them or anything? They had also set up a tent, blocking off even more parking. Thankfully another guest who was parked on the other side of the cones was leaving, so we simply moved cones and barely made it out of the lot we were blocked in to. As we were looking at an apartment complex across the street, we could see the entire driveway being blocked off by cones also and were happy we didn't have to return any time soon. When we returned later, it appeared as if the driveway was just being opened up so people could get in and more of the lot was opened. We were able to park just under our room for the rest of our stay, but we never knew if they'd randomly close up the lot when we'd return for the night.

We wouldn't have been as disappointed as we were if management would have been a little better in communicating that work was being done on the parking lot. We weren't told at all when we checked in about anything or any notice that a certain portion would be closed that was open the night before. They didn't ask for a license plate number, but you would think if they asked for the make of the car, they could at least try to track down whose car could possibly be blocked in. Again, it could have been the paving people who made the decision also, but either way, it was very poor of them to allow a guest's car to be blocked like that.

We are completely moving in a few days and have decided to pay a little more at a different hotel. Red Roof Inn wasn't horrible, but I wasn't fully impressed even if they did just renovate.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
rri169, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Good afternoon;

My name is Robert Whaley, and I am the general manager here at the Red Roof Inn here in Alexandrai, Va. I just want to thank you for taking the the time to complete a review on Trip Advisor. Please also accept my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you experienced with the parking situation. I have also replaced the air conditioner in the room in which you stayed in.Our renovations are 100% complete now, and I truly do hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future.

Robert Whaley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Newly remodeled room... got interrupted during an afternoon nap because they needed to put in a larger TV. Darn. Looked to me like they were finishing the rest of the remodeling on the 2nd floor.
Service was excellent... close to everything, stores, metro, etc.

Room Tip: back rooms will likely be less noisy... Main road out front is busy.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
rri169, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Good afternoon Sir;

My name is Robert Whaley, and I am the general manager of the Red Roof Inn, here in Alexandria. I would like to first apologize if you were inconvenienced in any way during your stay with us. Our complete hotel renovation should be finished in just a day or two, and I really like to thank you for taking the time to submit a review. Hopefully you will in the near future have an opportunity to visit with us again to enjoy our all new hotel!

San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

My partner and her 85 year old mother stayed stayed 3 nights (Saturday, Sunday and Monday) and I stayed just Monday. The place looks fine from the outside, clean and well maintained, elevator, stairwells on either end and in the center, and the room was fine. When my partner made reservations, she was told that renovations were under way but would be completed by her reservation date. Their room was in the back on the 3rd level near the center stairwell; the first night there was loud partying until 2 a.m. and the next morning empty bottles and cans lined the railing outside their room. When I arrived on the 3rd night, there was still evidence of the partying, a carton of empty bottles and some loose ones on the ground next to the ground floor stairwell. The key card failed to work 3 three different times and my partner had to go to the office to have it re-keyed. Renovations were NOT complete. When I arrived on Monday workers were painting the center stairwell, but when we came back from dinner Monday evening the elevator was out of service, forcing 85 y,o. Mom to walk up 3 flights of stairs. The next morning, the elevator was still out of service and the center stairwell was also blocked off, forcing all of us to make several trips up and down 3 flights of stairs to load up the car as well as navigate our way around the various workers. My partner spoke to 2 different desk clerks - the first one told her there had been a car show on Saturday and the second offered no explanations or apologies and promised that the manager would be in contact by phone or e-mail (we were never contacted). ANALYSIS: Renovations are nice however not in the middle of tourist season, and lying about it not OK. Maybe there WAS a car show on Saturday night, but it's Management's responsibility to provide a quiet environment and pleasant experience for all guests, not just the heavy party crowd. The key card not working three separate times is unacceptable. Failure of the owner/manager to contact a guest who complains is also unacceptable. I guess they don't care if guests are happy. Granted the room was fine, the location and price were right, but we won't be staying there again.

Room Tip: The location and price are fine so if you must stay here, ask for a room in the front, especially if...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
rri169, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria, responded to this review, August 18, 2012
Good afternoon Sir;

My name is Robert Whaley, and I am the general manager of the Red Roof Inn here in Alexandria, Va. I am writing to thank you for your open and honest feedback and to offer you my sincerest apologies for the various issues that you and your family experienced while staying with us. Please rest assured that I will be personally following up my entire team to ensure that situations such as those mentioned do not occur in the future. Should you have any future accommodation requirements in this area I would genuinely hope that you would contact me personally for your reservations allowing me hopefully in some small way make up for our previous short comings. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

The newly renovated Red Roof Alexandria, VA is truely an outstanding value for travelers. The new room renovation and flat screen 32 inch tv could make you believe you were in the Capital paying 3 times the room rate. Sarah the front desk manager, Debbie the evening manager, and Robert Whaley General Manager are all true professionals. I would recommend this property to anyone that is looking for value and location in Alexandria Va.

Room Tip: Book Early!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
rri169, Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Good morning;

Your high praise is very much appreciated. We all definately look forward to your future visits to not only my property but to any Red Roof Inn. I hope that in your future travels that your will make Red Roof Inn your choice in accommodations. Hope that you have a wonderful weekend.

Red Roof Inns
New York Area
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

I loved this hotel. Great service, nice quality, and the rooms were clean. For $50, it was not bad compared to the other hotels around it. The bad part was when I entered into my room. There was an unbearable heat, but i dont blame them because it snowed and it was winter. However, it was so bad, we had to open the door AND crank the AC full blast on its coldest setting. Good place if your on a budget.

Room Tip: Try not to go during the cold winter..
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
rri169, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Good morning;

My name is Robert Whaley, and I am the general manager here at the Red Roof Inn Alexandria Virginia. I would like to first thank you for taking the time out of your day to submit a response. Your bringing the room heat situation to our attention is much appreciated and will be rectified. I hope that in your future travels that your will make Red Roof Inn your choice in accommodations. Hope that you have a wonderful weekend.

Red Roof Inns
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

Hey everyone, back from my DC trip with my grand niece. In another review I will highlight DC, but in this review let me tell you about the Roof. Wow is my first comment. I tried getting in at my normal hotel but the prices in VA were crazy high. So I went on Price Line and tried my luck. If you have ever used Price Line and used their automated get my room for me system, once you submit your credit card and they find a room its a done deal. Well when my lottery came back with Red Roof Inn, I literally cried. Red Roof Inn, OMG, are you serious. For two months I sweated this trip. Red Roof Inn OMG. The Day before my arrival, I confirmed all my requirements at the hotel with the front desk man named Nikko. Some things were not in place, but Nikko assured me that upon my arrival the next day everything would be in place. Upon my arrival, Nikko just happened to be coming out the hotel so we were able to meet outside. He was on his way to my room to make sure everything was in place. We chatted for a while at the front desk an I told him my concerns about staying there. He has been working there for a year and he assured me that it was a very good hotel. No bed bugs, or other bugs, everthing worked. I was still skeptical so we went to the room. WOW is all I can say. It smelled wonderful. the room was neat, clean and accommodating. There was an iron and ironing board, hair dryer, two full sized television, refigerator, microwave. All that and the room was still very spacious. The bathroom was clean and presentable. For the price I would have paid at my normal hotel to the tune in VA of $259 per night versus the price I paid of $79 per night The Roof was an awesome choice. For those of you who read my reviews, you know that I am a foo foo traveler. Though the hotel does not offer you mimosos at the front desk they do greet you with a warm hello and google any destination you want to see in the city and DC. Though you don't get a newspaper each morning at your door, you do get a cleaned room each day and the fragrence they use is wonderful. I usually have to complain and tell hotels not to scent my room, but the Roofs scent is very inviting and non allergic reaction. Though you are not getting 800 thread towels and sheets, you do get plenty of towels and soft sheets and I never had to ask for towels or face clothes during the entire 5 days. Though the toiletries are not designer names, you are provided with them and they do the job of cleaning your body just fine. The beds are spacious and comfortable. I slept great each night. They also provide you with tissue packs each day.Which during the heat wave of 99 plus my entire trip came in very handy. All their staff are friendly, kind and very accommodating. Their location is just 2 miles from downtown Alexandria and though they are not in the heart of Alexandria they are in a nice safe inviting area. Walmart is up the street about a mile and also many other shopping places like Target, Home Goods, Marshalls, etc. Their prices are way better than in the heart of Alexandria. I did all my gift shopping there versus at the Pentagon Mall which is way over priced. In the other direction about 800 yards is the interstate to Old town Alexandria, DC and I95. My suggestion if you are planning a trip to DC with your family and want to spend most of your money on tours and food, then stay at the Roof because the savings is phenominal and the accommodations are GREAT. Well back for a week, but off to Columbia, SC next week. Look for my next reveiw on the Holiday Inn, Columbia in about 2 weeks.

Room Tip: There is no swimming pool, I clicked on the wrong button and could not take it out.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

I spent 7 weeks (April to June 12) while I was relocating to Alexandria --searching for my perfect new home....and thanks to the GM Robert and his really awesome staff (housekeeping included!) my dog and I had a great time there! Located near the intersection of Rte 1 and I-95/495 access, this hotel has a beautifully landscaped property for walking your pet and it is convenient to shopping, dining, and is not far from major retail stores (malls).

The staff was exceptionally considerate and went out of their way many times to ensure my stay was the best it could be. That means so much, especially when life is stressful! If you are in the area and need a pet friendly place, give them a try...you won't be dissappointed.... I wasn't!

Thank you Robert, Debby, Sara, Nico and everyone else at Red Roof Inn Alexandria!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Been to Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria? Share your experiences!