“Great service and rooms” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Alexandria Pentagon South

Save Saved
You added Courtyard Alexandria Pentagon South to your Saves list
Courtyard Alexandria Pentagon South
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4641 Kenmore Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22304 (Formerly Sheraton Pentagon)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #12 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great service and rooms”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We had a fabulous experience with the service at this hotel. Everyone was not only helpful and attentive, but also truly pleasant. The breakfast was good, the banquet food was great, and Domingo was wonderfully helpful in accommodating our group's specific dietary needs.

Common areas and conference rooms were great, as were the common area bathrooms. Beds and pillows were comfortable, and no complaints about the bathrooms. Everything was perfect!

The hotel is in walking distance to a 7-11 and a pizza place, but not too much else is walkable. In and out by car from the hotel is easy, and major shopping center is just 1 mile away.

We received exceptional service from Beza (front desk) and Domingo (catering).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Keith M, General Manager at Courtyard Alexandria Pentagon South, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am sure that the staff mentioned will be pleased to hear how you enjoyed your stay and their service. I am very happy to read that your perception of the hotel staff was "helpful and attentive, but also truly pleasant". Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon.

246 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Utila, Honduras
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We are here on a family reunion. I hesitate to review this, as our experience is so different from all the other reviews I can see.
First the shuttle, after we called them took about 1 1/2 hours to pick us up from DCA . Check in was normal, but not friendly or unfriendly, just business like. The room was very dirty, with splatters on the wall, dirty carpets, etc. The cleaning staff did clean the wall the next morning, not that it clear the old splatters, but at least it was clean. The bathtub was stopped up and they fixed that, and the broken toilet seat. That was all good.
For our reunion we purchased an extra room, the keys have been nulled and needed new ones at least 4 times, yes, they did provide them nicely, but why would that be needed in the last 24 hours?
The pool doesn't open until 5 pm on weekdays, what's that about? As you can see this is not particularly a business hotel, but family hotel. There is no lifeguard, etc., why can't the pool open normal hours? Last night at 10:05 pm when we returned from dinner (it is a $20 cab ride to anywhere except a Quiznos and low end pizza place across the street for eating -- except the "Bistro" which has one or two employees and when we arrived a couple of LARGE groups were there-- possibly 25 people to serve and a long line to the lobby) anyway, when we returned from dinner, a family with a small daughter had just been kicked out of the pool and were standing outside the LOCKED pool door, the little girl looked like "what did I do to get booted from the pool?" What's that about? The pool open only 5 pm to 10 pm Monday - Friday for a family centered hotel?
The "bistro" and bar closes daily from 10 a.m weekdays and 11 a.m. weekends until 5 pm.. remember this place caters to groups, families, etc. Staff only recommended one restaurant to us that is about 3 miles away, need a taxi to get there.
Breakfast buffet is $10.95 plus tax and had eggs, make it yourself waffles, the type usual free fare at most hotels. Nothing special there. The Bistro Menu is limited (as are the hours) and the flyer here in the room doesn't even list the prices...... hmmmmm. There is Starbuck coffee for sale. That's nice for limited hours, at least it's open in the morning!
There is a "Market" which is like a tiny convenience store with the only microwave around, none in the rooms, nor refrigerators. There is a single serving coffee maker in the room. There is ice water in the lobby, nice, but no water in the rooms, coffee for two single servings from a single serving maker. There is an ice machine that works on this floor. No vending.
My wifi didn't hook up this morning so after a frustrating call to the front desk, I was connected to someone in Nevada to help me, it was resolved, but he said it could have been handled at the front desk, like when the key cards don't work, I guess.
The beds are comfortable! Sheets clean, etc. Nice pillows.
This is NOT a location convenient to any where, unless you have a car (parking is $14/daily according to the Guest Information Guide). They will take you to DCA or the local metro, but we were told last night, it would be about a 1 1/2 hour wait for them to take us to the metro(we thought to go to the Metro, then get to a restaurant), since there is one standard van and driver only.
All in all, transportation costs and food costs added to the standard quoted rate of $159/daily would have put us in Old Town, Alexandria where there is more to do than wait for the pool to open, you could just walk out the door and be in a wonderful destination(and lots of restaurants, and activities! Or to go to a hotel near the metro to get to D.C. easily.
The manager is friendly, staff is normal friendly. A.C. works, trying hard here to find something special.... I guess it would be the nice bedding.
Checking out a day early to follow my own advice! Keep looking.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for review from your recent stay. I am sorry to hear that we did deliver services and products that were what you were expecting and were promised by the hotel. I appreciate your honest feedback and I will certainly use your review as a tool for training all aspects of the hotel staff. Reading your review we obviously have plenty of room for improvement. Thank you again for your comments.
Worcester, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I was there for a Conference of my fraternity and I loved the service. They were very helpful and attentive to all our needs and requests. Especially Beza who always had a smile to greet us. Since the very first moment of my check-in until check out I always felt well cared. The rooms were nice, comfy and clean. It has a nice small cozy lounge and nice medium size conference rooms. Location from airport could be far but they offer a free shuttle to the metro station and/or union station. Finally and definitely what stand up to me was the service because they offer me help from the issue of mailing an urgent package to LA after recollection hours, to finding cool affordable places to have lunch and dinner with my friends nearby.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Keith M, General Manager at Courtyard Alexandria Pentagon South, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Thank you for such a wonderful review. I am pleased to read about your service encounters and how positively they impacted your stay. I will make sure and share your comments about Beza, she will be happy to know she helped make a difference during your stay. We hope you will visit us again for any future visits to the DC area.
Westover, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Hotel was excellent all the way around. My fiancee and I fell in love with our room the moment we stepped foot in our room. Hotel staff are very friendly and has helped us feel right home the moment we checked in. Staff also set us up with a room on the 11th floor on the even side of the hotel to give us a great view of Downtown Washington, DC. Shuttle service was also excellent. Breakfast was excellent. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Rooms are cleaned to the detail. You will get a lot of value for your money. Location of the hotel is a great place. If you want peace and quiet when resting at night, Pentagon South is the place to be. The beds there are soft like you are laying on a pillow.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Keith M, General Manager at Courtyard Alexandria Pentagon South, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Thank you for such a wonderful review. It was a pleasure having you and your fiancé with us during your trip to DC. I will happily share your comments about your room, shuttle service and breakfast with the appropriate staff. They will be pleased to hear how positively they impacted your stay. We hope to see you again very soon.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We stayed for a night at the hotel and it was quite exciting experience from the staffs and their hospitality. The room Was super clean and the service was excellent. Definitely I recommend while you visit Virginia...

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the review of your recent stay. I am pleased to see that you found your room clean and the staff welcoming. We hope to see you again soon and hopefully for a longer visit.
Bogotá, Cundinamarca, Colombia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I was arriving at Dulles at 2 a.m so I needed a hotel for the night and I booked here without knowing. this was my first experience with courtyards but I expected something similar to marriott brand hotels and this one inferior brand is obvious even when I paid something around 150 bucks for the night. it doesn't have room service or a lounge and the hotel looks low quality. still, the beds were very good so you'll get a very nice sleep and the shower was very very too which surprised me a little. oh and the staff was also very kind.
Personally, I think that if you get a price inferior to a 100 bucks it may be a good value as a place to sleep but if you are looking for a nice hotel experience you may have to look elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Keith M, General Manager at Courtyard Alexandria Pentagon South, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. I apologize that we were not able to meet your expectations and I will be sure to review our services and see what adjustments we can make to accommodate our guests. Thank you for your comments and suggestions on how we can improve the guest experience.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stayed here the last week in June, 2013 for a family trip to DC and were surprised to find such a great hotel for a reasonable price. It is close to 395, which brings you right into DC if you are using your car and they have a shuttle which brings you to the Metro for easy access to DC. We took advantage of both.
The staff is very attentive, friendly and courteous. We were treated very well by everyone. They answered all of our questions and made excellent suggestions about local restaurants in Alexandria.
The buffet breakfast at the hotel is well worth it. The rooms were large, clean, with all you would expect from a Marriott hotel. Anything requested was provided immediately, from extra towels to teabags.
We would definitely recommend this to anyone visiting the DC area who don't want to spend the high DC hotel rates.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the review of your recent stay. I am happy that we were able to accommodate you during your trip to the DC area. I am especially please to read that my staff was “very attentive, friendly and courteous”. This is what will keep creating such positive experiences for our guests and I am happy they did this for you.

Been to Courtyard Alexandria Pentagon South? Share your experiences!