“Misleading” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
International
“Misleading”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2007

I called the Hoilday Inn reservation telephone number to book a room in the Alexandria area and the employee recommended this hotel. The selling point was that this is a brand new hotel and that I would not be disappointed. This is not a brand new hotel, it is an old hotel newly acquired by Crowne Plaza. Very misleading.

• 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

358 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Asheville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2007

Got this hotel at a great Priceline price, was a little leary of what to expect based on reviews I had read. We had 4 kids with us, 3 adults. Overall we were satisfied with our stay. Hotel staff friendly, rooms clean, beds comfortable, kids loved the rooftop pool. At check-in our rooms were "smoking" so staff upgraded us to rooms with beautiful view of Potomac. Free parking. Downside: hotel in somewhat unsafe neighborhood, not convenient to King street metro. Free shuttle to metro runs every half-hour but it takes you to Reagan Airport metro, not King street. Shuttle pick-up from Reagan back to hotel was 1/2 hour late. The next day we decided that driving to King street metro and parking at station was better way to go. We requested a refrigerator for room that took 3 phone calls to get. Otherwise, we were very satisfied with our stay and would book at this hotel again.

• Liked — comfort and price
  • Disliked — location
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Southsea, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2007

The hotel has recently been acquired by Crowne Plaza from SAS Radisson. It is tired, dirty and shabby and has a general air of depression and decay. It seemed that the staff were too few, undertrained and far from motivated - understandable I guess if the managers have been uncertain about their future during change of ownership.
In the room everything is old fashioned and tatty. The air conditioning is a huge machine in the corner that sounds like you have a small jet plane in the room with you if you start it up. The desk chair was broken and several lamps did not work.
I am sure that Crowne Plaza eventually will remodel the place and sort it out but until then avoid!

Cleveland, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2007

This hotel is currently undergoing a brand change (Raddison to Crowne Plaza). Despite the renovation, the hotel was quiet and clean. Our rooms had great views of the river and we only paid $50 on priceline. The area surrounding the hotel is safe; however, on one side of the street are the projects surrounded by $500,000 houses. . .for this reason the area is very safe as there many police around. The area is very quaint, nice shops and restaurants within walking distance. The hotel runs a free shuttle to the shopping area if you can not walk (about a mile each way). The beds were comfortable, the showers were clean, and the hotel staff was very knowledgable. Clemens (the front desk staff member) was very knowledgable about the area and willing to help us with all of our questions. The hotel staff is a great asset to the hotel. They were able to direct us to the best ice cream, the easist way to to the metro, and many other tourist questions. I would recommend this hotel to any traveler. It is a few minutes from the blue/yellow metro lines making it easy to get to downtown D.C. ALSO, ask for discounted parking rates. . .if you don't ask, you don't know what you may receive.

• Liked — Location and Staff
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2007

I should say that I didn't stay here but met friends who did for breakfast in the hotel's restaurant. The coordinator of the group had contacted the hotel and informed that we would have a large group of 30 and told them the time just to make sure they would be prepared. They most certainly weren't. The buffet was nearly empty when we arrived and when asked about it they took at least 20 min to get any more food out even food that doesn't require preparation such as pastries. Mind you, they were told when we would be there. The restaurant was not busy at all only about three or four other parties. Our waiter was rarely around and when we waited several minutes for the cashier we went to the front desk to ask what the problem was. I calmly explained my disappointment and the man at the front desk told me he didn't like MY attitude (no, I never raised my voice or used any personal slurs) This was particularly annoying becuase one of our group whi did stay at the hotel had to ask to have their room changed twice. First they were taken to a room that had not been cleaned and had soiled sheets! The second room was a smoking room when a nonsmoking room was requested. When my friends asked to have the key brought up rather than making a second trip down to the front desk to exchange keys the man at the front desk used the same line; he said he didn't like their attitude. The staff here doesn't seem to understand the concept of customer service. I attend a lot of seminars in these sort of hotels and I will admit that the staff in most don't seem to find their jobs fulfilling but in this place they were down right surly.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — staff
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
chicago, IL (Lincoln Park)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2007

I had read some poor reviews on TA prior to booking my trip; however I had hoped that maybe they had worked the bugs out of their transition from an old hotel to a Crowne Plaza... they havent. Rate for the room was $230 which seems far to expensive for the quality. Chief complaints... loud and old AC unit in the wall similar to ones you'd see in "motel" so much so I had to wear earplugs! My non smoking room was VERY musty (this was the worst part ..the kind of smell that is still on your clothes when you get home. It was really yucky). Old, stained, burned carpet. They had partially replaced the bathroom fixtures but left old grout and tiles. the bed wasnt the new comfort beds used in many of the Crowne Plaza hotels... just simple motel style bedspread and mattress. The airflow throughout the whole hotel is pretty bad. As for the good stuff... not too far from King Street entertainment, the airport shuttle was prompt and easy (to DCA) and the morning room service was delivered on time. Service was polite and professional at the front desk and associated with the shuttle service/bell service. All in all, I expect better quality from a Crowne Plaza - they shouldve renovated completely before reopening - seems like doing it "half way" is damaging to their brand.

• Liked — Airport Shuttle service
  • Disliked — Smelly room
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Milwaukee, WI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2007

My friend and I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Old Towne May 16th to May 20th, 2007. I had booked my reservation in March with Radisson, using my Gold Points Rewards to comp the first 2 nights. We arrived in Washington DC and began by taking the wrong hotel shuttle, because #1, Radisson never informed me the hotel was changing hands, and #2, Crowne Plaza didn't think it neceassary to use a sign in the shuttle window, even though we found out the hotel had just changed hands the day before. When we arrived to check in, the hotel was not going to honor my reservation because of the Gold Points, and wanted to charge me their "rack" rate of $309 per night. I just about had a heart attack, and asked to speak to a manager, who told me the same thing and wouldn't back down. He then put a phone on the counter and dialed Radisson Customer Service for me, so I could see if they "could make other arrangements" for me. I was livid. While I was holding on the phone, this manager went to the back, and when he returned, told me to hang up and said they would now honor my reservation, and they were sorry for all the anxiety they put me through. He then said there were no rooms cleaned yet, and could we please go have a bite to eat or something, and he would expedite a room for us in 1/2 hour. We came back 45 minutes later to a new desk crew, and I was coolly informed that check-in wasn't until 3 pm, and to please have a seat in the lobby. I finally demanded a room at 5 minutes to 3, and was finally given one. Once in our room, I went to get some water, only to find the vending machines didn't work. One of the elevators was out of order, so each time I tried to find a floor with a working vending machine, I had to wait a long time for an elevator. Then when I found a machine, it wouldn't take any of my dollar bills, so I went down to the front desk to get change. They could not give me change for $1.00, because they "didn't have a cash box open." I ended up getting change from a lady checking in, and after more elevator waits, finally got my bottle of water, after more than a 1/2 hour had passed. The room was okay, but with peeling wallpaper, and tiles falling off in the bathroom, certainly not worth the $309/night they wanted to charge me. The next few nights were uneventful, and when I checked out, I was given my receipt for the original amount we had agreed upon, and was told I didn't have to sign anything....we were all squared away. Was my nightmare over?? No way. I got my Visa bill 2 weeks later, and Crowne Plaza had put an additional $220 charge on my card. When I called to find out what it was for, they first said it was a "no show" charge, to which I laughed, considering what they put me through. Then I was told they didn't know what it was for, and assured me it would be taken off. To their credit, they did do this. I understand they were in a transition, and I could look beyond the ordinary room with its defects, but the customer service for us pretty much sucked. I sure hope they get their act together, and become the 4 star hotel they advertise themselves to be.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service & Integrity
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria? Share your experiences!