“Should Have Listened to TA Reviews!” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #30 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
chicago, IL (Lincoln Park)
“Should Have Listened to TA Reviews!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2007

I had read some poor reviews on TA prior to booking my trip; however I had hoped that maybe they had worked the bugs out of their transition from an old hotel to a Crowne Plaza... they havent. Rate for the room was $230 which seems far to expensive for the quality. Chief complaints... loud and old AC unit in the wall similar to ones you'd see in "motel" so much so I had to wear earplugs! My non smoking room was VERY musty (this was the worst part ..the kind of smell that is still on your clothes when you get home. It was really yucky). Old, stained, burned carpet. They had partially replaced the bathroom fixtures but left old grout and tiles. the bed wasnt the new comfort beds used in many of the Crowne Plaza hotels... just simple motel style bedspread and mattress. The airflow throughout the whole hotel is pretty bad. As for the good stuff... not too far from King Street entertainment, the airport shuttle was prompt and easy (to DCA) and the morning room service was delivered on time. Service was polite and professional at the front desk and associated with the shuttle service/bell service. All in all, I expect better quality from a Crowne Plaza - they shouldve renovated completely before reopening - seems like doing it "half way" is damaging to their brand.

• Liked — Airport Shuttle service
  • Disliked — Smelly room
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Milwaukee, WI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2007

My friend and I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Old Towne May 16th to May 20th, 2007. I had booked my reservation in March with Radisson, using my Gold Points Rewards to comp the first 2 nights. We arrived in Washington DC and began by taking the wrong hotel shuttle, because #1, Radisson never informed me the hotel was changing hands, and #2, Crowne Plaza didn't think it neceassary to use a sign in the shuttle window, even though we found out the hotel had just changed hands the day before. When we arrived to check in, the hotel was not going to honor my reservation because of the Gold Points, and wanted to charge me their "rack" rate of $309 per night. I just about had a heart attack, and asked to speak to a manager, who told me the same thing and wouldn't back down. He then put a phone on the counter and dialed Radisson Customer Service for me, so I could see if they "could make other arrangements" for me. I was livid. While I was holding on the phone, this manager went to the back, and when he returned, told me to hang up and said they would now honor my reservation, and they were sorry for all the anxiety they put me through. He then said there were no rooms cleaned yet, and could we please go have a bite to eat or something, and he would expedite a room for us in 1/2 hour. We came back 45 minutes later to a new desk crew, and I was coolly informed that check-in wasn't until 3 pm, and to please have a seat in the lobby. I finally demanded a room at 5 minutes to 3, and was finally given one. Once in our room, I went to get some water, only to find the vending machines didn't work. One of the elevators was out of order, so each time I tried to find a floor with a working vending machine, I had to wait a long time for an elevator. Then when I found a machine, it wouldn't take any of my dollar bills, so I went down to the front desk to get change. They could not give me change for $1.00, because they "didn't have a cash box open." I ended up getting change from a lady checking in, and after more elevator waits, finally got my bottle of water, after more than a 1/2 hour had passed. The room was okay, but with peeling wallpaper, and tiles falling off in the bathroom, certainly not worth the $309/night they wanted to charge me. The next few nights were uneventful, and when I checked out, I was given my receipt for the original amount we had agreed upon, and was told I didn't have to sign anything....we were all squared away. Was my nightmare over?? No way. I got my Visa bill 2 weeks later, and Crowne Plaza had put an additional $220 charge on my card. When I called to find out what it was for, they first said it was a "no show" charge, to which I laughed, considering what they put me through. Then I was told they didn't know what it was for, and assured me it would be taken off. To their credit, they did do this. I understand they were in a transition, and I could look beyond the ordinary room with its defects, but the customer service for us pretty much sucked. I sure hope they get their act together, and become the 4 star hotel they advertise themselves to be.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service & Integrity
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Richmond
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2007

Stayed at this hotel this week,, It has been a Crown Plaza for 3 weeks, previously a Raddisson. I had a room on the West side of the hotel. They don't have insulated drapes for the windows and even with the AC on high and the curtains closed, the temp continued to rise and remained at an unacceptable level. Had to request a new room on the shady side of the building. The rooms are nice and clean with good internet wireless service. At 4:15pm I called the front desk about shuttle service, told it runs at 10 minutes after the hour. In 45 minutes I was waiting, asked at the front desk and told "in a few minutes". At 20 minutes after asked the bell man, he said driver was in the hotel should be out in a minute. The driver came out and when asked said, "there is no shuttle today, it broke down this morning". Check out was efficient, but no one even asked if I enjoyed my stay or if I found everything OK. I'm hoping they'll improve with time, the location is convenient to Old Town and also D.C.

• Liked — Loction
  • Disliked — Cost for Parking and room mechanical HVAC
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2007

I stayed at this hotel for one night. It's located 8 blocks from King street. Great for execrise before and after dinner.

My timing couldn't have been any worse. This hotel was being converted to a Crown Plaza Holiday Inn. Apparently, the transition was in its early stage as there was only a large cloth covering the hotel's original Radiison sign to hide its past. It really wasn't fooling its guests because we all booked Radiison. So, in short, my travel agent booked me a Radiison and I showed up and found a hotel pretending to be a Crown Plaza.

However, my stay went slightly better than my most pessimistic first thought. OK, the usual side-affect of this type of take-over did hit me.

1. I had to pay an extra $20 for a cab fare to get to the hotel from the airport because the shuttle drivers were forbiddened to say the word Radiison. The driver said that you should wait for a Radiison van for a Radiison, fair enough. Of course, there was no Radiison van, anymore.
2. After waiting 20 minutes, the check-in person tried hard to assign a room to me using a paper-and-pen system. He accidently said the word Radiison and, oh boy, two managers turned their heads and looked at him. Of course he was too busy helping me, a customer, to notice.
3. No computer support for reservation.
4. No rapid check-out with a completed receipt including local taxes.
5. Broken vending machines on all floors but the lounge sells small bottles of Evians at a high price.
6. Broken remote control in the room.
7. Another hotel guest complained to me that his room's phone doesn't work.

I left the maid a large tip because I felt bad for the staff. You can tell that they all tried hard to be professional and cheerful but the new company's line is difficult to toll when the customers are already angry and doesn't want to deal with BS.

What is the big deal to say that this was a Radiison Hotel and it is being converted to a Crown Plaza for a much better future. Would not saying the word Radiison somehow helps the image of Crown Plaza?

• Stayed May 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Asheville, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2007

this hotel surely lives up to its Tripadvisor reputation! Having read the reviews I decided to fly extra early one day to avoid having to stay here for 2 nights - thank goodness! My company booked me in to here as the Hampton Inn and Marriott Residence Inn both were fully booked.

Positives: staff at front desk - very friendly.
Negatives: OK....I know I'm fussy so here goes....

I was originally given a room on the 8th floor, assuming that I had been given one of their really bad rooms I called the front desk and asked them if this was the best that they had to offer!? They kindly obliged to change my room over if I went to front desk and they asked what was wrong with the room? It was very dirty and 'acky' to say the least, the mattress completely sagged in the middle, bedsheets from the 1970's and it was about 5" deep. To top it off the the bed was on rickety old metal legs - no mattress box here! So, bless them, they changed my room to one on the 10th floor and....you guessed it I got all of the above but a better view!

At that point I decided to order room service and a very large glass of wine in order to nullify the sensations....not a great location or room, there are better options if you can get them.

• Liked — That I was checking out the next day
  • Disliked — Let me count the ways....
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2007

There is nothing wrong with this place, but just don't expect luxury. It is a classic example of a 1980's hotel. Plain beds, ugly carpet, plain bathroom, etc. In today's world of flat screen TV's and ultra-comfy beds, this place is a little tired. But I found the staff to be nice, the location to be walking distance from some excellent restaurants, and the place to be clean.

This is a good alternative to a Reagan National airport hotel, which can often be ridiculously priced. It is 5 mins away.

Stayed May 2007
Tampa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2007

I stayed for three nights on a business trip. Less than 10 minuets from the airport, easy and fast check in. Overall there's really nothing alarming to point out. However, it took 10 minuets+ for the water to get hot and the new heating system fluctuated between hot and cold air that was a bit uncomfortable during the night.

• Stayed March 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria? Share your experiences!