“Only Average- Needs some work building & staff” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #29 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Richmond
“Only Average- Needs some work building & staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2007

Stayed at this hotel this week,, It has been a Crown Plaza for 3 weeks, previously a Raddisson. I had a room on the West side of the hotel. They don't have insulated drapes for the windows and even with the AC on high and the curtains closed, the temp continued to rise and remained at an unacceptable level. Had to request a new room on the shady side of the building. The rooms are nice and clean with good internet wireless service. At 4:15pm I called the front desk about shuttle service, told it runs at 10 minutes after the hour. In 45 minutes I was waiting, asked at the front desk and told "in a few minutes". At 20 minutes after asked the bell man, he said driver was in the hotel should be out in a minute. The driver came out and when asked said, "there is no shuttle today, it broke down this morning". Check out was efficient, but no one even asked if I enjoyed my stay or if I found everything OK. I'm hoping they'll improve with time, the location is convenient to Old Town and also D.C.

• Liked — Loction
  • Disliked — Cost for Parking and room mechanical HVAC
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

392 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2007

I stayed at this hotel for one night. It's located 8 blocks from King street. Great for execrise before and after dinner.

My timing couldn't have been any worse. This hotel was being converted to a Crown Plaza Holiday Inn. Apparently, the transition was in its early stage as there was only a large cloth covering the hotel's original Radiison sign to hide its past. It really wasn't fooling its guests because we all booked Radiison. So, in short, my travel agent booked me a Radiison and I showed up and found a hotel pretending to be a Crown Plaza.

However, my stay went slightly better than my most pessimistic first thought. OK, the usual side-affect of this type of take-over did hit me.

1. I had to pay an extra $20 for a cab fare to get to the hotel from the airport because the shuttle drivers were forbiddened to say the word Radiison. The driver said that you should wait for a Radiison van for a Radiison, fair enough. Of course, there was no Radiison van, anymore.
2. After waiting 20 minutes, the check-in person tried hard to assign a room to me using a paper-and-pen system. He accidently said the word Radiison and, oh boy, two managers turned their heads and looked at him. Of course he was too busy helping me, a customer, to notice.
3. No computer support for reservation.
4. No rapid check-out with a completed receipt including local taxes.
5. Broken vending machines on all floors but the lounge sells small bottles of Evians at a high price.
6. Broken remote control in the room.
7. Another hotel guest complained to me that his room's phone doesn't work.

I left the maid a large tip because I felt bad for the staff. You can tell that they all tried hard to be professional and cheerful but the new company's line is difficult to toll when the customers are already angry and doesn't want to deal with BS.

What is the big deal to say that this was a Radiison Hotel and it is being converted to a Crown Plaza for a much better future. Would not saying the word Radiison somehow helps the image of Crown Plaza?

• Stayed May 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Asheville, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2007

this hotel surely lives up to its Tripadvisor reputation! Having read the reviews I decided to fly extra early one day to avoid having to stay here for 2 nights - thank goodness! My company booked me in to here as the Hampton Inn and Marriott Residence Inn both were fully booked.

Positives: staff at front desk - very friendly.
Negatives: OK....I know I'm fussy so here goes....

I was originally given a room on the 8th floor, assuming that I had been given one of their really bad rooms I called the front desk and asked them if this was the best that they had to offer!? They kindly obliged to change my room over if I went to front desk and they asked what was wrong with the room? It was very dirty and 'acky' to say the least, the mattress completely sagged in the middle, bedsheets from the 1970's and it was about 5" deep. To top it off the the bed was on rickety old metal legs - no mattress box here! So, bless them, they changed my room to one on the 10th floor and....you guessed it I got all of the above but a better view!

At that point I decided to order room service and a very large glass of wine in order to nullify the sensations....not a great location or room, there are better options if you can get them.

• Liked — That I was checking out the next day
  • Disliked — Let me count the ways....
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2007

There is nothing wrong with this place, but just don't expect luxury. It is a classic example of a 1980's hotel. Plain beds, ugly carpet, plain bathroom, etc. In today's world of flat screen TV's and ultra-comfy beds, this place is a little tired. But I found the staff to be nice, the location to be walking distance from some excellent restaurants, and the place to be clean.

This is a good alternative to a Reagan National airport hotel, which can often be ridiculously priced. It is 5 mins away.

Stayed May 2007
Tampa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2007

I stayed for three nights on a business trip. Less than 10 minuets from the airport, easy and fast check in. Overall there's really nothing alarming to point out. However, it took 10 minuets+ for the water to get hot and the new heating system fluctuated between hot and cold air that was a bit uncomfortable during the night.

• Stayed March 2007
Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2007

My sister and I stayed for two days at the Radisson Old Town Alexandria to site see, shop and enjoy seafood restaurants. The room was nice and clean, but nothing special and definitely not worth the money even with my AAA discount. The best thing about the hotel is happy hour in Chequers Lounge.

We first arrived a few hours early and were told the room wasn't ready (not surprising). We came back at check-in time and got our keys, then went to the room and discovered that the housekeeper had barely begun cleaning it (big sigh). We hauled our luggage back down the elevator (from the ninth floor) to the front desk and had to get another room. This was all very odd since the hotel didn't seem busy enough to warrant all that hassle.

On my reservation I requested a nice quiet room and made a point to ask for this again in person. However, we found out too late that the second room we were given was on the river side in the flight path of incoming airport traffic! The bathroom was nice except there were no hooks and only one small towel rack across the room from the bathtub. So, we took a small side table from the room and placed it next to the tub for towels and robes.

The hotel is at least eight blocks from centrally located King Street. So, be prepared to walk a lot or pay for parking garages and taxis. Also, it cost $15 a day just to park in the hotel garage -- ouch! This hidden fee was never mentioned until we got the final bill at check out.

• Liked — lounge
  • Disliked — charged for parking
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2007

Our room was for free, so I can't complain too much. We were staying under the auspices of one of those time-share sale deals - can't imagine that hotel would help the company sell a lot of timeshares. We paid for parking for only the first day we were there since it became readily apparent that street parking around the facility was free on the weekend. Breakfast was overpriced, and there is a perfectly good diner (the Royal) within two blocks of the hotel. Location is not good - it's a hefty walk to Old Town, and at least part of it is through a housing project. The hotel runs a shuttle to Old Town once every hour. Nearest Metro stop is a similarly long and dangerous (at night, anyway) walk. The staff was reasonably courteous. The beds and pillows simply were not competitive to modern hotels that advertise the comfort of their beds. While we're talking about modern, it did seem that everything in the hotel was very well preserved from when I went there for a Valentine's Day dinner in the '80s. If I were to have paid for my stay there, I might feel as if I had been cheated.

Stayed February 2007

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria? Share your experiences!