“I wasn't expecting The Ritz but.....” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #30 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Asheville, North Carolina
“I wasn't expecting The Ritz but.....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2007

this hotel surely lives up to its Tripadvisor reputation! Having read the reviews I decided to fly extra early one day to avoid having to stay here for 2 nights - thank goodness! My company booked me in to here as the Hampton Inn and Marriott Residence Inn both were fully booked.

Positives: staff at front desk - very friendly.
Negatives: OK....I know I'm fussy so here goes....

I was originally given a room on the 8th floor, assuming that I had been given one of their really bad rooms I called the front desk and asked them if this was the best that they had to offer!? They kindly obliged to change my room over if I went to front desk and they asked what was wrong with the room? It was very dirty and 'acky' to say the least, the mattress completely sagged in the middle, bedsheets from the 1970's and it was about 5" deep. To top it off the the bed was on rickety old metal legs - no mattress box here! So, bless them, they changed my room to one on the 10th floor and....you guessed it I got all of the above but a better view!

At that point I decided to order room service and a very large glass of wine in order to nullify the sensations....not a great location or room, there are better options if you can get them.

• Liked — That I was checking out the next day
  • Disliked — Let me count the ways....
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business

420 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2007

There is nothing wrong with this place, but just don't expect luxury. It is a classic example of a 1980's hotel. Plain beds, ugly carpet, plain bathroom, etc. In today's world of flat screen TV's and ultra-comfy beds, this place is a little tired. But I found the staff to be nice, the location to be walking distance from some excellent restaurants, and the place to be clean.

This is a good alternative to a Reagan National airport hotel, which can often be ridiculously priced. It is 5 mins away.

Stayed May 2007
Tampa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2007

I stayed for three nights on a business trip. Less than 10 minuets from the airport, easy and fast check in. Overall there's really nothing alarming to point out. However, it took 10 minuets+ for the water to get hot and the new heating system fluctuated between hot and cold air that was a bit uncomfortable during the night.

• Stayed March 2007
Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2007

My sister and I stayed for two days at the Radisson Old Town Alexandria to site see, shop and enjoy seafood restaurants. The room was nice and clean, but nothing special and definitely not worth the money even with my AAA discount. The best thing about the hotel is happy hour in Chequers Lounge.

We first arrived a few hours early and were told the room wasn't ready (not surprising). We came back at check-in time and got our keys, then went to the room and discovered that the housekeeper had barely begun cleaning it (big sigh). We hauled our luggage back down the elevator (from the ninth floor) to the front desk and had to get another room. This was all very odd since the hotel didn't seem busy enough to warrant all that hassle.

On my reservation I requested a nice quiet room and made a point to ask for this again in person. However, we found out too late that the second room we were given was on the river side in the flight path of incoming airport traffic! The bathroom was nice except there were no hooks and only one small towel rack across the room from the bathtub. So, we took a small side table from the room and placed it next to the tub for towels and robes.

The hotel is at least eight blocks from centrally located King Street. So, be prepared to walk a lot or pay for parking garages and taxis. Also, it cost $15 a day just to park in the hotel garage -- ouch! This hidden fee was never mentioned until we got the final bill at check out.

• Liked — lounge
  • Disliked — charged for parking
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2007

Our room was for free, so I can't complain too much. We were staying under the auspices of one of those time-share sale deals - can't imagine that hotel would help the company sell a lot of timeshares. We paid for parking for only the first day we were there since it became readily apparent that street parking around the facility was free on the weekend. Breakfast was overpriced, and there is a perfectly good diner (the Royal) within two blocks of the hotel. Location is not good - it's a hefty walk to Old Town, and at least part of it is through a housing project. The hotel runs a shuttle to Old Town once every hour. Nearest Metro stop is a similarly long and dangerous (at night, anyway) walk. The staff was reasonably courteous. The beds and pillows simply were not competitive to modern hotels that advertise the comfort of their beds. While we're talking about modern, it did seem that everything in the hotel was very well preserved from when I went there for a Valentine's Day dinner in the '80s. If I were to have paid for my stay there, I might feel as if I had been cheated.

Stayed February 2007
DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2007

My company paid for my stay, but the front desk charged my credit card for the room as well as the incidentals, then it took almost a month before I got reimbursed.

The people at front desk clearly could not have cared less, and the people in accounting are rude and incompetent.

• Liked — Good deli in the parking lot
  • Disliked — billing, bad attitude of staff
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Blacksburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2007

We stayed there Sat. night 2/10. $79 + tax. Got a big king on 10th floor (1014) looking twds city - great views. Lower rooms wouldn't have this view b/c of other buildings. Older facility in what looks to be an area converting to office/comm. Did not pay the $12 to park - parked right in front on street. Great coffee shop down the street - Perks or some such. Not in what I would call Old Town.

• Liked — view
  • Stayed February 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria? Share your experiences!