“Ordinary with a capital "O"” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #29 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
New York City, New York
“Ordinary with a capital "O"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2006

I stayed at this hotel for one reason: I was attending a meeting there. This is a very ordinary business hotel. Nothing distinctive about it. I'd say it has seen better days, but it probably hasn't. I would not choose this hotel for a vacation/family stay.

Reception area, hallways look dated. Carpet in lobby areas could use a good shampooing.

My room was clean. Comfortable king-size bed. Harsh fluorescent lighting in the bathroom. Good strong shower. Decent view of the Potomac River (I was on the South side of the building).

I did not visit fitness room or pool.

Nice 10 block walk to King St., the main street in Old Town Alexandria - lots of shops, restaurants, historic buildings.

Quiet neighborhood, although it is in the flight path of National Airport - just a couple of miles away. Planes were landing on this approach for both days I was there, but it didn't bother me. There is an active railroad spur right next to the hotel and I did hear freight trains a couple of times, again, not a big deal.

I took free shuttle bus to airport. nice driver, good service.

Best feature of this hotel: FREE WIFI!

• Liked — Free WIFI.
  • Disliked — That I had to stay there.
  • Tips/Secrets — No.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
raleigh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2006

Checked in at 10 pm to get a king smoking room. When we realized the phone did not work, there were no ashtrays, and two of the lights did not work, we called the front desk. She told us it was easier to move us than to correct the problems, so she came up with different room keys and put us in another room. We unpacked (AGAIN) and left for dinner, back around 11pm. Though bed was made up, the carpet had not been vacuumed, and ashes and bits of cellophane were on the carpet. Too tired to complain about this at 11pm, we decided to take a shower and go to bed. THEN, we went in bathroom, and urine stains were all over the toilet AND the floor, as well as pubic hair. That was it, we packed up again, left, and by midnight were driving around Alexandria looking for another room for the weekend. We settled for the Hampton Inn, a lovely place! Incidentally, we booked the Radisson through Hotwire, who claims it is a 3-star hotel. Don't believe it.

• Liked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — avoid radisson
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2006

Got this hotel on Priceline for $65 ($81 after tax and fees). They charge $12 to park as well. The location is not Old Town, it is 8 blocks north and pretty far to walk. There are about 2 blocks between the hotel and Old Town that appear to be subsidized housing-may not want to walk past there too late at night. This is the first hotel I have booked on Priceline that would not allow me to put in a request for bed type and smoking preference. When I called initially to inquire, they refused to take my info and told me I would get whatever was available when I checked in. Checked in at 3:15pm (check-in starts at 3) and was told the hotel was full and that the only room they had was a king smoking room. Not my preference, but beggars can't be choosers. There were only about 15 cars in the parking lot the night I stayed-so much for full... The drawbacks-the location is not "Old Town", they would not allow a preference on rooms and a hotel staff member walking through the halls at 5:45am with a walkie talkie that beeped when he keyed it up. The upside- the price. I probably would not use Priceline to book a 3-star in Alexandria again based on our stay here.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — location, staff unfriendliness
  • Tips/Secrets — don't use priceline for a 3* in Old Town Alexandria
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
Austin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2006

I think it's all a matter of expectations. After having read the bad reviews on this site, I was prepared for the worst AND pleasantly surprised. I booked the room on Hotwire for $70 (per night including taxes) which is nothing compared to other hotels in this area. True, the hotel could use an overhaul (especially the hallways and elevators!), but I really liked the huge room and the clean bathroom.

Service was fine too, I requested a different room after my first night and got it with no problem. I also used the metro station and the airport shuttle which were both excellent. There are tennis courts, a playground and upscale office buildings next to the hotel; I didn't feel unsafe in the area.

Slight drawbacks for me were the parking fees, the distance to Old Town (7 blocks to walk) and the shaky internet connection.

• Liked — large, clean rooms
  • Disliked — location
  • Tips/Secrets — find cheaper parking
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Selma, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2006

I am shocked at how much some of ya'll paid for the room. Go to priceline and get it for 77$ tax included!!!
So the bad thing is that it is not by Old Town.
The area is Safe!! I cant believe someone said they didnt feel safe. Alexandria is a pricey place to live.
No metro station within walking distance but they have a shuttle that runs to the airport and there is a station there. The shuttle does not run after a certain time so we did have to take a cab from the aiport and it cost like 15 plus tip.
I was not charged for parking, so i dont know why some reviewers were.
The staff was great and friendly, the room was good but we could only kinda see the river from our window. Oh the river stinks, really. but inside it does not smell :-)
The room was great, huge bathroom with nice hot water. I am surprised to see so many bad reviews but i guess thats because you were expected a $150 room? I am not sure. Dont go to the Presidents Inn now that is a scary area!!!
Have fun in DC!!!!! get ready to walk......

• Liked — The bed!!
  • Disliked — No metro station within walking distance
  • Tips/Secrets — Wear comfy shoes when going to DC
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto, Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2006

We stayed at this hotel for a conference from August 8 to 11, 2006 and, since we had read the trip advisor reviews prior to our departure, we were not expecting very much.

Other than the pleasant lobby and the decent food (both room service and served during the conference), the hotel is outdated and in need of renovation. The service, especially at the front desk, was mediocre at best. The location (although only 8 blocks from King Street) is a little dodgy and felt unsafe at night. We also experienced a lack of hot water in the shower in the morning.

The nail in the coffin came on our final morning. As we were packing our things a MASSIVE COCKROACH crawled from under our bags and went INTO THE BED. Needless to say, we will not be returning to this hotel. Ever.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ridley Park, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2006

My husband & just stayed @ this hotel on june 22nd. To start off I think I was ripped off.. I paid $250/night from hotels.com. So my expectations of this hotel were very high. The lobby was nice but the rooms were a disappointment. Our first room the air conditioner was broke so we had to move to another. The views from the rooms were nice of the river & the roof top pool was cool.

• Stayed June 2006

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria? Share your experiences!