“Disappointment” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
California
“Disappointment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2009

The hotel and room itself were fine. My disappointment was basically two-fold. I called ahead to ask if they had a wireless adapter available so I could use my lap top and take advantange of the free Internet access. They assured me they had such a device, which I could get at the front desk. It turns out they only had two such devices, the one given to me was broken, and the other was being used by someone else. There is computer access, but you have to pay for it. The other issue is of greater disappointment. The day manager at the front desk booked a half-day tour I requested of DC, on the wrong day. When I showed up in lobby waiting for the tour bus, she told me it was for the day before which I assured her it was not. I had given her my cell number which she said she called but that I had given her the wrong number. ??? I don't think so. She made it sound like it was my fault, and was dismissive and unapologetic. It was my last full day in Alexandria and I was very disappointed. I will NOT be staying there for any future trips. My advice, if you MUST stay there, book your own tours. She seems to be overwhelmed and not really in control of what is going on. Another issue I had was the doors to the rooms slam REALLY hard. All night long you can hear doors slamming. I tried to be extra vigilant to make sure I did not slam my door. Surely something can be done to the doors so they do not slam so loudly.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Gizmo72
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

First -The Good. Nice location, decent building and in a nice area. The room was fine.

Now the Mediocre.:1. TWENTY BUCKS a night to park!!! Use the street outside. It's just as safe-there is no security in their parking lot and they take no responsibility anyway.

2. When we checked in, two of the elevators were not working- seems the card reader thing that you HAVE to use if you want the elevator to work (VERY ANNOYING!!!), didn't work, so we wasted 10 mins getting to the room. Nice if the Front Desk had told us.

I got the feeling that the staff thought that they were still running a 5 star operation. They aren't. At best, it's a Three star unit. The prices quoted on their website is a joke. I paid 69 bucks...which is about right for the place.

I got 24hrs of free WiFi internet- I was only there a day, so it worked out OK.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Nashua, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2009

We stayed in this hotel during Cherry Blossom festival. It was a very good hotel. Clean and good hospitality. The parking is good and also provides pick n drop for down town and air port. Internet speed is also good but you have to pay $10 for that. We also got a good deal from priceline in that peak season. 3 person 2 night and 3 days for $79 per night!!! it was good.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
toronto canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

this hotel was great. one thing that i loved about this hotel was the friendlyness of the staff and other guest. the hotel has a washing machine which when you have been travelling for weeks like i had is a blessing. i was lucky and had an ok view. i would recommed people to stay here.

• Stayed August 2009
Clearwater FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

Using a betterbidding.com as a guide, I bid on Priceline and won $47 a night for 4 nights, Aug 13 - Aug 17. I was actually hoping for the Marriott.

Hotel lobby was very clean. The front desk personnel were very professional, polite, and approachable.

Traveling with spouse and 8 y/o son, I asked if the room had 2 beds (Priceline assumes only 2 people per room.) The gentleman said, "I just upgraded you to a two bed room, on the 11th floor, with a river view." Excellent - saved me from having to ask. I believe there are 13 floors in the hotel.. 12 and a Penthouse level.

Room was very clean and spacious enough for 3. Unfortunately, view was to the south, away from the Capital. Can't really complain, however.

Parking: As mentioned, parking is $20 for "overnight" parking. I quote "overnight" as that word was sort of stressed a couple of times. I chose to park on Fairfax St, right in front of the hotel, for the first night. In front of the hotel, Fairfax has 2-hour max, metered parking that is "enforced" from Monday - Saturday, 8am - 7pm (I think). According to http://alexandriava.gov/recreation/info/default.aspx?id=12490 - there is no meter feeding.

The next morning, before 8am, I moved the car to First Street facing East (on the park side). I did not see one sign on that side of the street that limited parking.

Montgomery Street has free parking, but is limited to 2 hours. N. Royal Street has free parking as well, but is limited to 3 hours, I think.

I would leave my car parked on First Street during the day, then move it to Fairfax in the evenings. The reason I do this is, when I lived in Hawaii, I had a rental when my car was in the shop, parked on a street I always parked with my personal car, and got a $200 abandoned vehicle ticket - law was after 12 hours, considered abandoned. So, being paranoid, I just moved my car around every 12 hours or so. I never saw anyone enforcing any meters/parking.

Sad the hotel parking isn't free. Plenty of empty spots. I would have paid $5 a night, but not $20.

More on hotel fees...

In room Internet: $10.
Lobby Internet: $1 a minute (I think), with $4 minimum. Never saw anyone on it.
Mini-fridge in room: $10 a day.

We had a mini-cooler and abused the ice machine.

The immediate area is really nice and feels pretty safe. There is a small park across the street from the hotel, including a playground for the little ones.

The hotel shuttle runs every 30 minutes. It runs from the Crown Plaza, to the Holiday Inn, to the Airport. We left the hotel at 8am, dropped off at the Airport, had to go upstairs to the station, buy our passes, took the Metro Blue Line to the Metro Center station, and made it to Ford's Theater for our 9am admission with 10 minutes to spare.

Recommend taking yellow line when possible, and maybe transferring at the L'Enfant station when possible. Seems to be quicker as usually less stops, depending where you are going, and subsequently cheaper. When your feet get tired, there is a bus that runs the perimeter of the National Mall for $1 a person.

The Metro is definitely the way to go. Clean, safe, and convenient. Our last full day on Sunday, we drove to the Pentagon Memorial and Arlington, and were lucky to find a spot by the Vietnam Memorial. We visited Mount Vernon leaving Monday. We checked out at Noon, but should have left sooner. If you want to see the main mansion, the two tombs, all the movies (a 20 minute, and a couple of 14 minute movies), the Education Center (with George's teeth) and the museum, you really need probably 3 to 5 hours.

There are a few places to eat in the immediate area of the hotel. The Perfect Pita shop is on the same block as the hotel, and opens at 7 most days, but closes at 5 I think on Saturday. A McDonalds is only a few blocks away, but would want to drive. The Potomac Yard Center on Jefferson Davis Hwy/ US1 is a few miles away, but has a Super Target, Don Pablo's Mexican Kitchen‎, Hops Restaurant Bar & Brewery, Baskin-Robbins‎, IHop, Starbucks, Subway, etc.

All in all, a great trip. We saw a lot. Recommend the hotel, but not at $135 a night. Not unless they include everything for free.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2009

I was staying at the Crowne Plaza for business. As other reviewers pointed out, the hotel annoyingly charges for internet service in the room (free at most other hotels these days) and for using the "business center" computers in the lobby. Not even an option to print your airline boarding pass for free. This is just inexcusable in this day and age. When the computer would not print for me (at 59 cents per minute plus surcharge for printing) the front desk attendant had the gall to say that the computers were from a service and not run by Crowne Plaza. Hello?! If you're providing poor service to guests in the lobby isn't that of concern to Crowne Plaza? It should be! Needless to say, should work require that I be in Old Town again, I will make every effort to avoid this dated, surcharge-crazy, unfriendly hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Columbia, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

My wife had a conference which was booked at this hotel, I joined her to see the sights

On the good side:
in DC. The room was nice, well decorated and in good repair. Location was good, close to old town Alexandria. The restaurant had a great soup and salad lunch option.

On the bad side:
The hotel shuttle was always late or didn't show at all picking me up at both the airport and old town Alexandria. When I mentioned this to the staff (after having stood at the pick up location for over an hour) they made some excuse about having lots of guests and it was a free shuttle. The internet didn't work in the conference facilities. The hotel charged extra for everything. The rooms were way over priced for what you got.

Overall this facility is a slightly below average choice for a conference hotel. I would certainly not select it if I were traveling for pleasure or had a choice of hotels. There are lots of other options in the area that are much better values.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria? Share your experiences!