“Really Awful” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Chicago, Illinois
“Really Awful”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2009

I was staying at the Crowne Plaza for business. As other reviewers pointed out, the hotel annoyingly charges for internet service in the room (free at most other hotels these days) and for using the "business center" computers in the lobby. Not even an option to print your airline boarding pass for free. This is just inexcusable in this day and age. When the computer would not print for me (at 59 cents per minute plus surcharge for printing) the front desk attendant had the gall to say that the computers were from a service and not run by Crowne Plaza. Hello?! If you're providing poor service to guests in the lobby isn't that of concern to Crowne Plaza? It should be! Needless to say, should work require that I be in Old Town again, I will make every effort to avoid this dated, surcharge-crazy, unfriendly hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

420 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Columbia, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

My wife had a conference which was booked at this hotel, I joined her to see the sights

On the good side:
in DC. The room was nice, well decorated and in good repair. Location was good, close to old town Alexandria. The restaurant had a great soup and salad lunch option.

On the bad side:
The hotel shuttle was always late or didn't show at all picking me up at both the airport and old town Alexandria. When I mentioned this to the staff (after having stood at the pick up location for over an hour) they made some excuse about having lots of guests and it was a free shuttle. The internet didn't work in the conference facilities. The hotel charged extra for everything. The rooms were way over priced for what you got.

Overall this facility is a slightly below average choice for a conference hotel. I would certainly not select it if I were traveling for pleasure or had a choice of hotels. There are lots of other options in the area that are much better values.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Hoboken, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

While the exterior is typical, the room is nicely decorated for the price we pay (pretty good price from Hotwire). Yes, there are silly charges, but you can avoid most of them. Parking wise, just park on the street surrounding the hotel and spaces are plentiful.

We didn't use any of the hotel facilities at all, and honestly, it does not matter. You are in the DC area for business or for the museum / monuments. I was able to scout a free internet hotspot from my room.

Yes, you will need a car for this hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Worcestershire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

My family and I enjoyed our stay here very much. The hotel was modern, clean with well appointed rooms. The hotel staff were mostly friendly and helpful, though the breakfast waiting staff did seem to be on th slow side, when it came to service. The food itself was very nice with a great seletion to chose from. However, there is a cafe located not far from the hotel. Turn left outside the hotel, one block up, opposite side of the street. The hotel offers a shuttle service to Old Town Alexandria, which I urge you to take the time to do, as it is a charming location, full of shops and restaurants. We have already agreed that we would stay here when we return to Washington DC.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Skelmersdale
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2009

Just returned from this hotel. The hotel and room was really nice and very well appointed. Clearly the best hotel we stayed at during our stay in the USA. The bar has a happy hour between 4.30 and 7.30 when local beer and food is half price. My wife and I had a decent meal and a couple of beers for $20! Very reasonable and the barman was so effective under very busy circumstances that we gave him a huge tip.
Food overall was very good but the restaurant was rather chaotic at breakfast time, the waiters didn`t seem to be switched on particularly, which meant you were left without knives, forks or spoons for a while until they got their act together. But I am being very critical. Mostly the service was very good.
My one and only criticism was that you had to pay $10 a day for wi-fi connection, which I thought was very mean spirited. I had just ravelled across America and every hotel had free wi-fi. So why not here? I mean, fancy having to pay $10 a day to use your own computer!
Dear Manager if you read these comments please note: I would have rated your hotel 10/10 if it were not for these silly, mean, stingey charges. I hope you take his feedback on board and that next time we visit the wi-fi is free, like every other hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Virginia Beach, Va
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

The hotel itself is very nice, and the rooms spacious and clean, and the fitness facility is a good size, but that's it for the positive. All the additional fees- 9.995$ a night for internet service, $15 a night for vehicle parking (espeically when the lot was practically empty) No Free Breakfast, nothing other than points for Priority Club members, makes this not a desirable place to stay. With all the nickel and diming of minor items it makes the value of the hotel go down- especially w/ companies scaling back per diems, travel expenses- yes the hotel room rate is low, but with everything else tacked on after the fact No it is not

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2009

I stayed here for four nights on a business trip; the hotel was selected by my employer. Overall, I was quite pleased with this hotel and would stay there again. I arrived in the morning prior to check-in time, and the front desk staff gladly stored my luggage for me. My room was larger than I was expecting, and had a wonderful view of the Potomac. Although the hotel is in close proximity to Reagan National airport and railroad tracks, I did not experience any problems with plane or train noise at night. The bathroom was also a good size, and had ample counter space around the sink for makeup, toiletries, etc, which I found to be a nice plus. Enjoyed watching planes flying overhead while using the rooftop swimming pool. A decent breakfast buffet was included (not sure if that normally is the case). The only real negative is the distance from the main shopping and restaurant district of Old Town- a 15-20 minute walk. This was an enjoyable walk for me on most days, but we needed to get a cab back to the hotel after a thunderstorm rolled in one night while dining in Old Town.

• Liked — Room size and views
  • Disliked — a bit of a walk to get to Old Town
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria? Share your experiences!