“Nice room and price. There are ways to avoid charges” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #30 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Hoboken, New Jersey
“Nice room and price. There are ways to avoid charges”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

While the exterior is typical, the room is nicely decorated for the price we pay (pretty good price from Hotwire). Yes, there are silly charges, but you can avoid most of them. Parking wise, just park on the street surrounding the hotel and spaces are plentiful.

We didn't use any of the hotel facilities at all, and honestly, it does not matter. You are in the DC area for business or for the museum / monuments. I was able to scout a free internet hotspot from my room.

Yes, you will need a car for this hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

418 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Worcestershire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

My family and I enjoyed our stay here very much. The hotel was modern, clean with well appointed rooms. The hotel staff were mostly friendly and helpful, though the breakfast waiting staff did seem to be on th slow side, when it came to service. The food itself was very nice with a great seletion to chose from. However, there is a cafe located not far from the hotel. Turn left outside the hotel, one block up, opposite side of the street. The hotel offers a shuttle service to Old Town Alexandria, which I urge you to take the time to do, as it is a charming location, full of shops and restaurants. We have already agreed that we would stay here when we return to Washington DC.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Skelmersdale
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2009

Just returned from this hotel. The hotel and room was really nice and very well appointed. Clearly the best hotel we stayed at during our stay in the USA. The bar has a happy hour between 4.30 and 7.30 when local beer and food is half price. My wife and I had a decent meal and a couple of beers for $20! Very reasonable and the barman was so effective under very busy circumstances that we gave him a huge tip.
Food overall was very good but the restaurant was rather chaotic at breakfast time, the waiters didn`t seem to be switched on particularly, which meant you were left without knives, forks or spoons for a while until they got their act together. But I am being very critical. Mostly the service was very good.
My one and only criticism was that you had to pay $10 a day for wi-fi connection, which I thought was very mean spirited. I had just ravelled across America and every hotel had free wi-fi. So why not here? I mean, fancy having to pay $10 a day to use your own computer!
Dear Manager if you read these comments please note: I would have rated your hotel 10/10 if it were not for these silly, mean, stingey charges. I hope you take his feedback on board and that next time we visit the wi-fi is free, like every other hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Virginia Beach, Va
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

The hotel itself is very nice, and the rooms spacious and clean, and the fitness facility is a good size, but that's it for the positive. All the additional fees- 9.995$ a night for internet service, $15 a night for vehicle parking (espeically when the lot was practically empty) No Free Breakfast, nothing other than points for Priority Club members, makes this not a desirable place to stay. With all the nickel and diming of minor items it makes the value of the hotel go down- especially w/ companies scaling back per diems, travel expenses- yes the hotel room rate is low, but with everything else tacked on after the fact No it is not

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2009

I stayed here for four nights on a business trip; the hotel was selected by my employer. Overall, I was quite pleased with this hotel and would stay there again. I arrived in the morning prior to check-in time, and the front desk staff gladly stored my luggage for me. My room was larger than I was expecting, and had a wonderful view of the Potomac. Although the hotel is in close proximity to Reagan National airport and railroad tracks, I did not experience any problems with plane or train noise at night. The bathroom was also a good size, and had ample counter space around the sink for makeup, toiletries, etc, which I found to be a nice plus. Enjoyed watching planes flying overhead while using the rooftop swimming pool. A decent breakfast buffet was included (not sure if that normally is the case). The only real negative is the distance from the main shopping and restaurant district of Old Town- a 15-20 minute walk. This was an enjoyable walk for me on most days, but we needed to get a cab back to the hotel after a thunderstorm rolled in one night while dining in Old Town.

• Liked — Room size and views
  • Disliked — a bit of a walk to get to Old Town
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Fort Lauderdale, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2009

Overall the experience at this hotel was good, rooms were clean and confortable. We made this trip to Washington with my boyfriend just for fun.
We found a little coffee shop right across from the hotel, what a great place to enjoy a cup of Joes. Great place for some breakfast, charming and simple.
Our biggest complain was that it was a little far from the main street (about 10 blocks walking from all restaurants and stores).

• Liked — Clean and confortable rooms
  • Disliked — Distance from restaurants
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2008

Average stay at best. The shower was only luke warm, and the heat/AC unit rattled loudly all night. Not that it's a big deal, but the clock was not set when I arrived. For what they charge in the DC area I would like to expect that the basic necessities are at least there. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed October 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria? Share your experiences!