“Good Place” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Fairfax, Virginia
“Good Place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I was here for a meeting. The meeting room was spacious and set up well. Internet connection was fast. The staff were wonderful -- responsive, friendly, efficient. The hotel is located within walking distance of lots of little lunch places, as well as a Trader Joe's and Harris Teeter. It's only steps from the Potomac River, which is lovely for a morning stroll. The only complaint is that air "freshener" in the lobby. It was horrendously strong and just walking through to get outside set off a migraine. I was able to stop the migraine, but I was unhappy to use one of my precious pills (only get 9 every month and always use every one of them). But great job on everything else! The customer service was top notch.

• Stayed August 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
north
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

My first impression of the hotel was that it was so laid back that I instantly relaxed. Room was clean and well designed but a bit dated with a good view of the river. Planes flew past quite close by dropping in to Reagan airport but no noise problem. Glad I didn't pre pay hotel parking which is $20 because there is plenty of street parking free. Hours are 8-5 limit 2 hours so if you arrive after 3 and go before 10 you will be OK. There are a few restaurants within walking distance but the main town is in my view too far to walk to. On check in they gave a scratch card and I won a nights free parking but it was no real advantage. There is a great little take away café on the corner which serves drinks and salads, .sandwiches fresh and cheap.

• Stayed August 2015, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We only stayed here 2 nights room was clean 2 double beds in the room good size bathroom ,also had a laundry room 1 washer & 1 dryer had to pay but good to catch up with Laundry when u have been traveling nice Thai Restaraunt across the road , good cafe down the road . Pleasant staff , wish we could had stayed longer

Stayed August 2015, traveled as a couple
Binghamton, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Had a wonderful time in the Washington DC area and enjoyed the monuments. My wife and I go to DC often and agree it is one of our favorite places to go year round for any occasion. We typically stay in a military facility but for a change of pace we too friends of ours with us on this vacation and stayed in the Crowne Plaza Old Town Alexandria. We did this because Old Town is one of those places that you can wonder and be transported back in time if you allow yourself. The brick sidewalks and the dated buildings are a reminder of similar times and the founding of our nation. I find myself daydreaming a lot there, and the restaurants are the best for seafood in the area. Now for the topic of my review I feel the staff of the hotel were very dedicated and pleasant my stay and our friends was adequate. I did find the lack of amenities discouraging the hotel has nothing for you if you plan to spend a day relaxing or an evening at the pool; because there is none. Parking is in a enclosed paid lot and the space is restrictive so if you have a large vehicle it may be complicated. We all enjoyed the time we spent in Old Town but will not use this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2015, traveled with friends
NEWARK, DELAWARE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Here I am again at this hotel for business. I choose this for price and convenience while traveling for both work and pleasure. The hotel is nice, but the valet parking nazi needs to chill out. I arrived this afternoon and pulled in up in front and parked to simply check-in and drop my carry on bag in the room before heading to work. I was immediately approached by the valet guy asking if I was checking in for the night. I told him I was checking in, going up to the room to drop my single bag and use the rest room and would be right back down to head out to work. He asked if I would be paying for parking and I told him no, that I would be parking on the street when I returned from work 10 hours later. He told me that I could check in, but couldn't go up to the room unless I left my car keys with him. I went into the lobby to check in and after the check in process, I asked the desk agent if it was ok if I left my vehicle where it was until I went to the room and dropped my bag and used the bathroom...said I'd be back down in 10 minutes as I had to head to work. The desk clerk said that it was ok and I headed to the elevator. As I pressed the button for the elevator, the valet parking guy ran over and told me he needed my keys. I was so irritated that I left the hotel, pulled out of the lot, turned the corner and parked 10 feet away and walked back into the hotel to do exactly what I said I was doing. I am a gold member and have stayed in this hotel probably 10 nights in the past year or so. This treatment is embarrassing and rude. I just can't understand why this hotel can't get customer service right. By the way, there were 10+ valet spots and 0 were taken when I arrived and then 10 minutes after I left. The hotel charges $20 per night in a place that is not deserving of that cost. I am so frustrated with this place sometimes and it isn't the only review I have written about it. Here is a picture of the valet lot tonight....figure it out !!

Stayed August 2015, traveled on business
Hotel S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear ChrisB,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. Your experience is important to us. We strive towards the goal that each guest has a great overall experience. Thank you for bringing to our attention your experience with the parking valet. However, the parking and staff is managed by a contracted company. We will make sure the manager is informed of the incident to improve the valet service. We do thank you for comment and hope we may have you as a valued customer in the future and exceed in our service to you.
Greeneville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I did not want to rent a vehicle and fight Washington traffic, and did not want to pay the premium prices charged by D.C. hotels so I chose the Crowne Plaza in Alexandria, and to use the Metro for transportation. The hotel was comfortable and quiet, and reasonably priced. The staff was very helpful and attentive. While it is roughly a 20 minute walk to the Braddock Road Metro stop, the hotel has a shuttle to Reagan National which is close by which leaves on the hour and half hour and therefore allows one to use the Metro stop at the airport. The shuttle also runs from the airport back to the hotel on the quarter hour with the last one leaving at 10:45 p.m. One drawback was that breakfast was not complimentary and somewhat pricey, but the food itself was quite good and so was the service. It is located several blocks from King Street, which is where the nightlife and pubs are. Drinks in the hotel bar seemed quite a bit higher priced than at other places in Alexandria which require a bit of a walk to get to. However, all in all, it is a good value and I would likely stay again.

• Stayed August 2015, traveled with friends
Ithaca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

the rooms were a little dated but very clean good location free shuttle to airport which you could get on the metro also walking distance to old town i would stay there again priced right with there rewards membership

Room Tip: we were on the 7th floor could see the capital could see more if you were higher