“Best unexpected adventure!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Miami, Florida
“Best unexpected adventure!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Wow, I have to start off by saying I am astounded by the lack of intelligence in the other reviews...some people are complaining about the weather when they stayed at this hotel. Blaming the weather on the hotel? Really?? I guess some people just aren't the brightest of the bunch!

Anyways, I stayed at this hotel because of a cancelled flight. I've never even heard of Alexandria before, but I'm always up for an adventure! I called the front desk several times to make sure that the free shuttle from the hotel to the airport was on its way, and every time the staff was very kind and willing to put up with my paranoia! Haha. The shuttle driver quickly got me to the hotel, and the front staff was as kind and friendly as I expected. He even informed me of the free wifi service that the hotel offered, which required the most simple and painless sign up (no credit card needed! I was sold!!!). I was able to Skype home from my room, and that was wonderful.

The room itself was wonderful. I have an incredible view of the river, and the bed was absolutely fantastic. The bathroom even had a mat in the bathtub to prevent slippage; I've never seen that in a hotel before!

After a while, I started to get hungry, and went down to the front desk and ask if there were nearby restaurants. He said there were a few, but I could use the hotel's free shuttle service to take me to downtown Alexandria where there were a lot more options. He told me when they left, how often, and the pick-up location; super convenient! So I went for it, and took the shuttle several blocks south towards King Street. It was a quick drive, and the street was absolutely gorgeous. I had my pick of restaurants, and it was a lovely experience! Afterwards I went to the pick-up location and waited. The pick-up time came and went, and I called the front desk and asked if I was in the right location. Apparently I wasn't (my fault!!), but I told him where I was, and the shuttle came and found me, no problems. I'm definitely grateful for that!

I had a lovely night's sleep, and the next morning check out was less than 10 seconds. The shuttle took me safely and soundly to the airport, leaving me with an absolutely lovely Alexandria experience.

All in all, it was an unexpected adventure, but completely worth it. All thanks to Crowne Plaza. Highly recommended!

• Stayed February 2015, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I stayed here for one night when my flight was cancelled. I chose this hotel because it had an airport shuttle and I had a 6am flight from DCA. Turns out the shuttle doesn't start until 5am for guests, so I had to take a taxi.

The beds were really hard, and while the weather was atrociously cold, the bedding was very thin. I ended up pulling the sheets off the other bed and doubling up so I wouldn't freeze. As well as there was a spot light from the building across the street that shown directly into my room and was visible around the blackout curtains.

The hotel says it's in Old Town, but that is a stretch. It is very near old town, and if anything on the northern boarder, but I still had to take a taxi to get to a decent dinner.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled solo
Englishtown, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Recent stay was nice. Room was clean and well furnished. Towels could have been softer. Room heat was problematic to control. The hotel is located in a good area. Private pay parking. Front desk staff handled check in fast. Common areas were clean. Room service breakfast was cold and unappealing. Seemed like reheated pancakes and bacon. The rest of the order was meh. The on site bar and restaurant was sufficient. Nice beer selection. Service at the bar/restaurant was good. Stick with bar food. We has burgers and steak. Both were good.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Fairfax, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Hotel was just fine, we had no issues with the water temperature or staff; other reviewers complained about this and it almost made me second guess my decision in choosing this place. The only small issue was that we attempted to go to the restaurant/pub area around 3:30 (during a time in which they were supposed to be open on a Saturday) and there was no one there. Waited awhile, still no one. Also I noticed that there was a huge very slow moving check in line (that we fortunately didn't have to sit it). Our stay was pleasant and staff was nice. No complaints.

Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Staunton, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Booked this through Priceline. Spacious room and bathroom. Lighting in the bathroom could have been brighter. Even though we had a standard (two double bed) room facing south towards Old Town, we could still see the Potomac, the Beltway bridge, and the Ferris wheel and lights of National Harbor--all of which we very pretty lit up at night. The hotel was clean and I didn't notice any areas in need of maintenance or repair. Convenient to Old Town and there is a free shuttle to King Street every hour. Shuttle driver was very nice. There is a charge for wi-Fi but it is free for IHG members and you are encouraged at check-in to join to take advantage of the promotion. Parking is on-site and is $20.00 per day with in and out privileges. All in all a good value for our money and we would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Roanoke, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I stayed at this location for one night on business. They have a shuttle that will pick up from DCA, which is also a Metro stop. The hotel is well maintained and comfortable. The room was standard but did have a view of the Potomac. The bed was comfortable and had nice, king size pillows (this is a big plus since many hotels put small pillows on big beds). The room was fairly quiet but you will hear aircraft due to proximity to DCA.

I had breakfast in the restaurant. Food was fine and service was efficient. The front desk held my bag while I attended my meeting and the shuttle returned me to DCA. This hotel works well for an overnight in Alexandria.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I stayed in this hotel for one night on last New Year Eve. And I will never come back to this hotel anymore!!!!!!!!!!!! The parking is not free, The alarm in the room so terrible keep beeping just because steam from the iron, how to ironing shirt then>?, called the lobby and so late respons until they answer the phone and the worst experience is we have to moved to another room at 2am in the morning just because The HEATER IS NOT WORKING!!!!! annoying. After all the travel bags already opened and we have to moved to their spare room, and the spare room really really miserable, we can heard voices from people who stayed in the room beside our room during a night. CRAZY!

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Hotel S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Mourin E,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. Your experience is important to us. We strive towards the goal that each guest has a great overall experience. We regret we did not obtain that goal in your instance. Sharing your experience is vital in showing us where we can work harder to serve, assist and accommodate our guest better. We sorry your experience was below expectations. We're always wanting the opportunity to make our guest stay with us a great experience. We're sorry you did not get a good nights rest due to the inconvenience you suffered from the alarm constantly beeping and the room change. Please bring to our attention what's not quite right, that we may give you the best quality service you deserve as our guest. We do thank you for comment and hope we may have you as a valued customer in the future and exceed in service to better serve you.

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria? Share your experiences!