“no safe and ID not checked” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #29 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
San Francisco, California
“no safe and ID not checked”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed for two nights.

Good stuff
• Person at check-in was professional and pleasant
• Gym on the ground floor was ok, although…
o the elliptical I used using was flashing a sign requesting a battery replacement. (I reported this issue to the front desk although I didn’t get the sense that the person was going to do anything about it. Could be wrong here.)
o Container for hygienic wipes at the gym was empty.
Issues
• Both plugs in the outlets in the bedside lamps didn’t work.
• After checking in around 7p I turned the sink on and got only cold water. Very cold water. I waited a bit and then called the front desk, although it took me four attempts to get someone to answer, and then I was put on a very long hold. The person who answered said that there were water issues with some rooms and other rooms simply had to just run the water for several minutes to get it hot. (It would have been nice to have been told that at check in.) When I asked if I was in a room with a hot water issue or if I just needed to let it run, I was told that she didn’t know and she would send maintenance. A very nice person from maintenance quickly arrived, assessed I had functioning hot water but advised I would have to run it for quite a bit to get the water up to this higher floor. It took 11 minutes (both nights) to get it hot. I am from Calif and we are having a drought. It seemed incredibly wasteful to me to have to run water this long yet in the cold mid-Atlantic I was in great desire for hot water. My issue here is that the front desk representative could have advised me at check in how to manage the water issue, saving me the time of calling down four times and having maintenance come to my room.
• I ordered room service. It was delivered in a short window and although the kitchen was out of my first choice the item I ordered was okay. I placed my tray out and 12 hours later it was still right outside my door.
• No safe in the room

Major issue
• When I went to report the gym equipment issue I asked the front desk representative if she could re-issue my breakfast voucher as I didn’t feel like going back to my room to get it. She asked my name and then my room number, which I couldn’t recall. She then asked when I was checking out, a fact I did know. She then handed me a replacement room key. Apparently, she misunderstood my request or I was unclear. The fact that I was given a room key without any form of ID and that there aren’t safes in the room is completely disturbing.

Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Hotel S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear AnnFran20,

Thanks for the observations and the feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. We apologize you could not be completely happy with the quality of your room. We do have in place a strict policy for the safety and security for all our guests. Picture ID must be given to verify name on the room registration. This policy must be followed uniformly to ensure that we keep to regarding our guest safety as a high priority. We apologize for our agent's failure in executing this strict policy. We do take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention and improvement. We thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. We will share your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction and continued high regard for our guest safety. We hope you will allow us the opportunity once again to serve you better.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Tacoma, WA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I had breakfast at the Crowne Plaza this morning at Chequers Restaurant. Their $15.00 buffet was arguably the worst buffet I have seen in many years. Red potatoes that were black, bacon made totally of fat, cheap and tasteless bagels and I could go on and on. On top of all that I paid $10.00 for 1 hour of valet parking because I couldn't figure out to get through all the barriers that they have for regular parking - all bars and tickets.

The service was good however. They are to be commended for smiling when the food is so bad. The hotel itself is not a friendly place. Tired and worn.

There are many much better hotels and restaurants in Alexandria.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Hotel S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Travels_Widely,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. We also thank you for choosing us. Your comments are taken seriously. We are sorry you were completely disappointed with your overall experience during your stay with us, while here on business. We regret hearing that our friendly service was not a part of your experience. We train our staff to exceed our guest's expectations. We apologize for our appearance of being worn. We currently comprised a capital plan to refresh our hotel throughout. Thank you for sharing your experience it helps us with our make improvements. We hope we will be your destination again, we look forward to your return.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I book 2 nights in this hotel thinking that I would be wonderfull but it was exactly the contrary i actually left early and only stayed one night; yes it was that HORRIBLE the rooms were so outdated w depressing lights it has like a 70s feeling w very old furniture in them besides that it doesn't include breakfast or Wi-Fi ($10.00 per device), NO POOL if u want to go to the pool you will have to walk 3 blocks down the street to a days inn hotel and used their pool, they charge $ 20.00 per day for parking not including valet parking, very rude staff, bathroom had cracks in the wall its was a terrible experience that definitely ruined my soo hardworked vacations to end up so disappointed and frustrated w my entire vacations completely ruined. don't stay here you can find a way better hotel for half the price.

Room Tip: don't satay here run as far as you can you can pay half the price for a way better hotel.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Hotel S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Patriciar,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. We also thank you for choosing us. Your comments are taken seriously. We are sorry you were completely disappointed with your overall experience during your stay with us, while on your vacation. We apologize if our staff service was not exemplary. We are currently getting a capital plan formed to make the necessary improvements to refresh our hotel, so that our guest can have an overall great experience. We do thank you for comment and hope you would consider returning to give us a second opportunity to serve you and accomplish our goal to exceed your expectations.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This hotel always has low rates and at first glance appears to need updating but after staying here several times - the staff has been very friendly, accomodating and helpful. They even upgraded me to the Presidential Suite for a week stay at the same rate I booked! The on-site restaurants are not great but there is a great b'fast place very close and lots of bars and great restaurants within walking distance in 'ol town. Definitely recommend.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Dear Tom L,

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. We look forward to hearing what our guest think of us and have experienced. It is our utmost pleasure to have served you. It is our goal to provide our guest with a great overall experience. We're happy that you were more than pleased with our staff, the clean and comfortable accommodations and that we were conveniently located. We're elated to know you would recommend us, and would return, we look forward to it.
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The Crown offers a free shuttle from Reagan Airport. It is quick and convenient. The hotel is about 8 blocks from King Street in Old Town, but it is a nice walk through the city. The shuttle driver even offered to take me there but I wanted to walk through the city and see the historic architecture, homes and shops. Staff are very friendly and accommodating and the hotel is updated, clean and has good amenities. I had a great view of the Potomac from the 11th floor! Great place to stay for business, family or a weekend away.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Dear JL,

Thank you for you feedback and comments on your experience at our hotel. It is our pleasure to serve you. We really appreciate your recognition of our staff and our hotel. We're really happy to know you had a wonderful experience that exceeded your expectations. We are glad you chose us, and we hope you would return, to once again experience the comfortable accommodations and convenience of our hotel.
Waynesville, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We just checked in today. This hotel is not at all what we expected. The hotel does not have much of a lobby. Rooms are small and not updated. I had to request a fridge. Beds look like they sink in the middle. We will see how comfortable these full beds are. Staff were not very knowledgable. I looked at two other rooms and they all look as sad and disappointing as this one. One of the others definitely smelled of smoke. Hotel is smoke free but room was not. Also this hotel is far from king street. 8 blocks. We walked it and then took the shuttle back. I have to stay here for the next 3 nights due to Wyndham presentation. I called them and they refused to switch me. They said it is a 3.9 star hotel. Umm...definitely not. Stay somewhere else. You will thank me later. Not sure where the positive reviews came from. Maybe people who are used to staying at truck stops. If that is the case then this place is a gem.

• Stayed November 2014
Hotel S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear swulski,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. Your comments are vital in helping us to continue to assert improvements where it is necessary. It's our goal, that all of our guests would have a great overall experience. We love knowing how we could better serve, assist and accommodate our guest. We strive towards the goal that each guest has a great overall experience. We regret we were not a hotel of your predilection and that the accommodations were disappointing and uncomfortable to you. We're sorry, that it sounds as if you may not stay with us in the future. We have capital plans to make such improvements throughout the hotel, during the course of the upcoming year. We do hope you would consider staying again and afford us the opportunity to serve you better.
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

I really like this hotel. The rooms have nice little touches, such as lighted magnifying mirrors in the bathroom! and plenty of hangers in the closet. Every room I've been in has had a wonderful view of the Potomac. The planes to Washington National are close enough to enjoy watching them but not so close to be loud. The beds are very comfortable, and the lighting in the room is sufficient and the controls are reachable. When it comes time to go out, there's a park nearby and a biking/jogging/walking trail that runs along the river, right near the hotel. (The hotel offers bicycles, although I haven't tried them.) There's a pub in the hotel but also a diversity of restaurants in easy walking distance. The hotel offers a shuttle to King St. but the river section of King Street is within easy walking distance with a charming neighborhood in between. The hotel also runs a shuttle to Washington National that runs right on time every half hour. So you can take the shuttle to the airport and catch the Metro to anywhere in DC cheaply and easily. And the hotel rates are so much better than in DC itself. To me, this is the perfect way to get a DC vacation that I can afford. The only problem I had this time was with the in-room wireless; it kept dropping out and coming back on at unexpected times. I have not had this problem in previous visits so presumably it's an isolated phenomenon. I'll definitely use this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Dear 21135Traveler,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. Your experience is important to us. We strive towards the goal that each guest has a great overall experience. We are glad you enjoyed our quaint Old Town Alexandria area and our Nations' Capitol, and to experience the surrounding food, history and scenic views. We are really glad, you were so pleased with everything our hotel and location has to offer. It was such a great pleasure serving you. We look forward to your return, see you again soon.

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria? Share your experiences!