“Overall very nice” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
Buffalo, New York
“Overall very nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2009

I stayed here for four nights on a business trip; the hotel was selected by my employer. Overall, I was quite pleased with this hotel and would stay there again. I arrived in the morning prior to check-in time, and the front desk staff gladly stored my luggage for me. My room was larger than I was expecting, and had a wonderful view of the Potomac. Although the hotel is in close proximity to Reagan National airport and railroad tracks, I did not experience any problems with plane or train noise at night. The bathroom was also a good size, and had ample counter space around the sink for makeup, toiletries, etc, which I found to be a nice plus. Enjoyed watching planes flying overhead while using the rooftop swimming pool. A decent breakfast buffet was included (not sure if that normally is the case). The only real negative is the distance from the main shopping and restaurant district of Old Town- a 15-20 minute walk. This was an enjoyable walk for me on most days, but we needed to get a cab back to the hotel after a thunderstorm rolled in one night while dining in Old Town.

• Liked — Room size and views
  • Disliked — a bit of a walk to get to Old Town
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Fort Lauderdale, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2009

Overall the experience at this hotel was good, rooms were clean and confortable. We made this trip to Washington with my boyfriend just for fun.
We found a little coffee shop right across from the hotel, what a great place to enjoy a cup of Joes. Great place for some breakfast, charming and simple.
Our biggest complain was that it was a little far from the main street (about 10 blocks walking from all restaurants and stores).

• Liked — Clean and confortable rooms
  • Disliked — Distance from restaurants
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2008

Average stay at best. The shower was only luke warm, and the heat/AC unit rattled loudly all night. Not that it's a big deal, but the clock was not set when I arrived. For what they charge in the DC area I would like to expect that the basic necessities are at least there. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed October 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Salt Lake City, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2008

This hotel for a Crowne Plaza should not be rated more than a two star. The rooms are very small and old and the beds are hard (pillows are great). I stayed here with my wife 9.23.2008 with points so it did not cost anything, thank goodness. The shower and bath drain plug up right from the start of a shower and I called the front desk and they said they would send someone up to look at it. after an hour about 9:00pm the repairman showed up with a snake to clean the drain. It was taking a long time an hour or more so I called the front desk to ask if we could be moved to a different room, He told me he was to busy to talk to me and the hotel was sold out. around 10:30pm the repair man finally finished up and we went to sleep. Around 11:30 the front desk called and said they had found a room for me. I do a lot of traveling and this is one of the worst stays I have ever had. P.S. If you do stay here don't buy the Breakfast it was terrible.

• Liked — The manager
  • Disliked — The front Desk and the old rooms
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Anaheim, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2008

June 2008!! We had a graduation at the National War College and a family reunion to attend in the DC/VA area. I went on priceline and for $70.00 a night I booked three rooms for 5 days. (Quite the savings from booking any hotel in that area directly.) We stayed at the Crowne Plaza Hotel, Old Town. The staff from the front desk to housekeeping to engineering at the hotel were outstanding. A+

First I checked in and traveling with my elderly parents I wanted them in a king room/hanidcapped accessible. AND I wanted the other two rooms as close as possible to my parents room. Front Desk Clerk, Jason, said he would do everything possible to make that happen for us. AND HE DID. We were all on the 4th floor, 401 (me) 403 (sis) (these were adjoining rooms, so awesome) and Mom&Dad 404 (king handicapped)!! A+

The rooms Jason secured for us were awesome. Brand new plasma screen t.v.'s as well as other fab amenities. The beds were so comfortable. Plush bedding with plush duvets. They even have the Sony Dream Machine radio next to each bed along with a CD (compliments of the hotel) to play at bedtime called "Sleep Soundly"!!! Also they have a guarantee on wake-up calls, if they forget, your room is FREE. (They never forgot our calls)!

We ate lunch one day in the restaurant on the 2nd floor and it was delicious. The service was wonderful. The waiters and waitresses were very attentive.

My sis' remote for her tv did not work. She called the front desk and in minutes engineering showed up with a brand new remote.

Housekeeping, Maria R. was very generous in all our calls for extra towels and pillows and blankets (we had the a/c going).

Conceirge, Tom, secured us dinner reservations. And when we would ask for directions to any sight they would print off mapquest for us.

They have complimentary coffee and cookies going all the time in the lobby as well as a free laptop/printer for your pleasure and use. I used it to print off my Southwest boarding passes.

All in all we had an awesome time at the Crowne Plaza, Old Town. A+ to everyone.

• Liked — EVERYTHING!!! A+
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Alaska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2008

I ended up at this hotel after having my flight cancelled at Reagan National. The rate was incredibly low, 65 plus taxes. The experience was unfortunately worthy of the low low price(at for DC during peak tourist season). I would not stay at this hotel again for anything more than 100 dollars, and definitely not the going rate of 200 plus a night.
The negatives:
The hotel has no self service laundry facilities. Instead they direct you to the Holiday Inn two blocks away. Old Town Alexandria is a bit confusing, and it could be a bit scary for some travelers to lug a load of laundry past the local liquor store after dark.
The hotel recently implemented a 10 dollar a day internet usage fee. Not the end of the world, but annoying since most every hole in the wall motel in America seems to have free access.
The shower at 4:15 in the morning was downright chilly. It finally warmed up after a few minutes. Again most every hole in the wall motel in this country seems to have ample hot water.
The worst complaint I leave for last. As a distressed traveler, I had an early morning flight out of the airport. When I asked about the return shuttle, the front desk claimed that no shuttles left before 5:00 AM. I arrived by 4:50 AM to wait the shuttle. 20 minutes later it finally arrived. In addition to potentially ruining my travel plans with the needless delay, apparently there had been a shuttle earlier than 5:00 AM. Maybe it was a mistake, but I felt like the front desk had lied to my face.
So what do you get for 200 a night. A great bed. I hand it to the Holiday Inn family for spending well for comfortable mattresses. That said, you can probably get similar at a Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2008

We stayed here for 2 nights after calling in to see if they had vacancies, with a room on the 11th floor with a great view of the Potomac and planes flying in and out of the National Airport (and a spectular thunderstorm on the 1st night). Rate wasn't cheap but they did throw in free parking (normally have to pay) and it is very well located

Room was large and very comfortable with 2 double beds and LOADS of pillows

There is an hourly courtesy shuttle bus to both the old town and National Airport, while the Metro stop at Braddock Road is only a 15-minute walk away, as is the old town through a safe neighbourhood. There is also a pleasant riverside park neaby plus shops and places for breakfast. The hotal lounge (bar) is pleasant for a drink but we did not eat here.

There is some aircraft noise but not at night, and while there is a railroad siding alongside with level crossings each side of the buidling we only saw (and heard) one train in 2 days.

Overall highly recommended

• Liked — The view and location
  • Disliked — Bit pricey but to be expected given where it is!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria? Share your experiences!