“If you want to save money, stay in Old Town Alexandria” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #32 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
“If you want to save money, stay in Old Town Alexandria”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

I needed one night in Washington, D.C. and was horrified to learn that everything in the city was between $200-300/night. I was trying to visit the capital on a budget, and after doing a lot of research, found that Old Town Alexandria is quiet, quaint, and a 20 minute metro ride into the city.

I couldn't have gotten a better deal on the Crowne Plaza Hotel. The staff was friendly, the room was large and clean, and we could see the river from our room. It was about a 5-10 minute walk to King St with shopping and great restaurants. Check out Red Rocks Pizza if you're looking for some good gourmet pizza. The metro was about a 15 minute walk from the hotel, so not for you if you have mobility issues. Taxis are comparably less expensive in the region and the hotel offers a free shuttle to and from Reagan National Airport, as well as an 'as needed' shuttle to King St.

The staff stored our suitcase behind the counter for the day after we checked out so we could go into the city without lugging it around. All-in-all, I would definitely stay there again, and if I'm visiting D.C., definitely stay in this part of Alexandria.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Hotel S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear JennyRightSide,

Thank you for your valuable comments and feedback. It is our goal to consistently provide superior services and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We're happy that you were more than pleased with our staff, the clean and comfortable accommodations and that we were conveniently located to your travel plans in the area. We're elated that you chose us and good to know you would recommend us and would return, we look forward to it.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Edinburg, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

The hotel was nice and the restaurant in House served up some interesting food and the bartender made the perfect white russian. The rooms had comfy beds along with a fridge and microwave. A big plus is that they had a shuttle to and from the airport which helps.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Hotel S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Dear kg8367,

Thank you for your valued comments. We look forward to hearing what our guest think of us and have experienced. We are happy you found your accommodations to be comfortable, and the restaurant menu appealing. It is our utmost pleasure to have served you. We are happy you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for choosing us, and hope to see you again soon.
REPUBLIC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

Missed my flight and landed here at the last minute. Solid hotel, excellent front desk staff who helped out with complimentary toiletries to use, since my luggage went without me. The room was fine for the negotiated airline rate of $89, but would've been disappointed if I'd had to pay more because it was a very fitful night's sleep due to the roaring of the heater every time it kicked on and ran. Additionally, the bathroom fan was so loud, it was almost uncomfortable to have it run while using the bathroom (would've had to turn off the light in order to not use the fan). Bedding was nice and heavy; a nice change from a single, thin blanket and cover often characteristic of other hotels. Age of the property also showed around the edges: dented, chipped door frame and furniture.

Not as bad as some other reviews imply, but would think twice about returning if the nightly rate is more than $100.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Hotel S, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear J9Koffel,

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. We look forward to hearing what our guest think of us and have experienced. We utilize your comments to better assist and serve our guest. We apologize you were not be completely comfortable in your room. Please in the future let us know when something in not quite right, we would love the opportunity to make you more comfortable. We strive towards the goal that each guest has a great overall experience. We regret we did not obtain that goal in your instance. We apologize you had issues that took away from you having an exceptional stay. We hope that you would reconsider returning and allow us the opportunity to serve your needs better.
Kansas City, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

The rooms are nice enough, they were spacious and comfortable. This seemed like a pretty good place for a conference. The front desk staff wasn't very nice but everyone else was. For the money there is probably a better place to stay. Good for a conference, wouldn't be ideal for leisure. Not close to the metro, but the complimentary shuttle can help you get around.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Hotel S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear Mathew B,

Thank you for your valued comments, we look forward to hearing from our guests on how we can make improvements. It is our goal to make sure all of our guest have an absolutely fantastic stay. We regret that in your experience with us we did not accomplish that goal. I will forward this valuable information to my managers for subsequent improvements. As for things to do, we are the place to be. We are conveniently close to fascinating places. When you return you may explore the area by trying out our bicycles that are free to our guests. You may use them and explore Old Town or ride the 23 mile waterfront bike trail that is both scenic and exhilarating. There are lots of places here, if you like art, The Torpedo factory's Art Gallery, Mount Vernon is nearby historical site great for the family, or you could Water taxi on the Potomac. Next time you come ask us for more information. We look forward to see you in the future.
Alexandria, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

I travel for a living and in the past have been treated royally....this trip...that all changed! I am a heavy traveler and use this hotel often. Apparently the rewards program have changed but the way this team delivered the message is unheard of...and I mean the general manager. She has no people skills...is argumentative and the furthest from customer centric I've ever seen. Anything that could go wrong...went wrong. Because I "questioned" a policy change...she took my ungraded away right in front of me....I definitely do not recommend this hotel anymore---it does not value long-term customers let alone the customers staying just one or 2 nights. I check out in the am...back to my Hilton Brands! Sad.... John

Room Tip: The river view is always great! Wide angle views of the Potomac!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Hotel S, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear John H,

Thank you for your valuable comments on your experience with us. Your comments are vital in helping us to continue to assert improvements where it is necessary. It's our goal, that all of our guests would have a great overall experience. We apologize for improperly informing you of changes in our rewards program, which seems to have tainted your view of our overall ability to serve you. Our General Manager, he was not on property during your stay, you spoke with our hotel's manager on duty. Please understand our rewards system has been changed to better reward our loyal guests. I do apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. We really hope you reconsider your decision of not returning. We hope to you will allow us the opportunity to again, provide with the type of services you made note of about your past visits.
Fostoria, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Very poor customer service experience. Took 3 phone calls just to book a room, talking to at least 3-4 different departments each time. One phone call I got hung up on after being on hold for 8-10 minutes, another phone call their system was down so they took my number and said they would call back and never did. I ended up calling a week later to find out no more rooms were available for my group, but they managed to find other arrangements. When I got there, the room wasn't ready and the manager I voiced these concerns to didn't seem to care and was not accommodating whatsoever. None of the staff was friendly. Room service didn't work on my phone in the room, outlets weren't working in the room. It was just a very poor experience. I will not be returning to this hotel, nor recommending it to anybody I know.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Hotel S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear Ashley S,

Thank you for your comments on your experience with us. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. It our goal, that all of our guests would have a great overall experience from the time of making your reservation to the the time of check out. We will make sure that our Managers are aware of your difficulty in making a reservation, to your inability to make room service calls from your room. Our guest service representatives are eager to help our guest's should they encounter any inconvenience, we want to make things right while our guest are still with us. I'm not certain as to what time you arrived to check in, however our rooms should be ready for our guest's arrival at three o'clock, our check in time. We apologize you had issues that took away from you having an exceptional stay. Thank you that you chose us to stay with. We hope you return and afford us the opportunity to exceed in our ability to serve you.
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

Furniture in my room was shabby, and there is no way to turn off the noisy fan in the bathroom. What I found most off-putting, however, was that they charged a $50 deposit to my credit card. I have stayed in dozens of hotels around the globe and I have never encountered this policy before. Maybe the hotel manager thought I was going to do serious damage the room, even though I was a 70 yr. old woman travelling alone and staying one night. In any case, requiring this deposit made me feel disrespected and untrustworthy. The manager said the deposit, if returned which he assumed it would be, would appear on my credit card statement 3-5 days later. I also found that problemmatic: why should the hotel get the float on my deposit?

There are many hotels in Alexandria, and I'm sure one could do better than the Crowne Plaza.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Hotel S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Dear Ann C,

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. We look forward to hearing what our guest think of us and have experienced. We utilize your comments to better assist and serve our guest. We apologize you were not be completely comfortable in your room. Please in the future let us know when something in not quite right we would love the opportunity to make you more comfortable. Your credit card is required for any additional hotel specific service fees or incidental charges or fees that may be charged by the hotel to the customer at checkout. The amount that is held against the card is normally $50.00. The hotel returns and releases this amount to the guest credit card if there are no incidentals or fees applied to the guest’s account upon check out. That credit is solely applied by the guest’s bank or credit card company which is usually done within 3-5 days. These policies and practices are not unusual to the hotel industry. We are sorry this caused you to be very disappointed with us. Thank you for choosing us, we hope you will return that we may better serve you.

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria? Share your experiences!