“Solid hotel but aging heating and bathroom fan detracts” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #28 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
REPUBLIC
“Solid hotel but aging heating and bathroom fan detracts”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

Missed my flight and landed here at the last minute. Solid hotel, excellent front desk staff who helped out with complimentary toiletries to use, since my luggage went without me. The room was fine for the negotiated airline rate of $89, but would've been disappointed if I'd had to pay more because it was a very fitful night's sleep due to the roaring of the heater every time it kicked on and ran. Additionally, the bathroom fan was so loud, it was almost uncomfortable to have it run while using the bathroom (would've had to turn off the light in order to not use the fan). Bedding was nice and heavy; a nice change from a single, thin blanket and cover often characteristic of other hotels. Age of the property also showed around the edges: dented, chipped door frame and furniture.

Not as bad as some other reviews imply, but would think twice about returning if the nightly rate is more than $100.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Hotel S, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear J9Koffel,

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. We look forward to hearing what our guest think of us and have experienced. We utilize your comments to better assist and serve our guest. We apologize you were not be completely comfortable in your room. Please in the future let us know when something in not quite right, we would love the opportunity to make you more comfortable. We strive towards the goal that each guest has a great overall experience. We regret we did not obtain that goal in your instance. We apologize you had issues that took away from you having an exceptional stay. We hope that you would reconsider returning and allow us the opportunity to serve your needs better.

358 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
KIRKSVILLE
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

The rooms are nice enough, they were spacious and comfortable. This seemed like a pretty good place for a conference. The front desk staff wasn't very nice but everyone else was. For the money there is probably a better place to stay. Good for a conference, wouldn't be ideal for leisure. Not close to the metro, but the complimentary shuttle can help you get around.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Hotel S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear Mathew B,

Thank you for your valued comments, we look forward to hearing from our guests on how we can make improvements. It is our goal to make sure all of our guest have an absolutely fantastic stay. We regret that in your experience with us we did not accomplish that goal. I will forward this valuable information to my managers for subsequent improvements. As for things to do, we are the place to be. We are conveniently close to fascinating places. When you return you may explore the area by trying out our bicycles that are free to our guests. You may use them and explore Old Town or ride the 23 mile waterfront bike trail that is both scenic and exhilarating. There are lots of places here, if you like art, The Torpedo factory's Art Gallery, Mount Vernon is nearby historical site great for the family, or you could Water taxi on the Potomac. Next time you come ask us for more information. We look forward to see you in the future.
Alexandria, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

I travel for a living and in the past have been treated royally....this trip...that all changed! I am a heavy traveler and use this hotel often. Apparently the rewards program have changed but the way this team delivered the message is unheard of...and I mean the general manager. She has no people skills...is argumentative and the furthest from customer centric I've ever seen. Anything that could go wrong...went wrong. Because I "questioned" a policy change...she took my ungraded away right in front of me....I definitely do not recommend this hotel anymore---it does not value long-term customers let alone the customers staying just one or 2 nights. I check out in the am...back to my Hilton Brands! Sad.... John

Room Tip: The river view is always great! Wide angle views of the Potomac!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Hotel S, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear John H,

Thank you for your valuable comments on your experience with us. Your comments are vital in helping us to continue to assert improvements where it is necessary. It's our goal, that all of our guests would have a great overall experience. We apologize for improperly informing you of changes in our rewards program, which seems to have tainted your view of our overall ability to serve you. Our General Manager, he was not on property during your stay, you spoke with our hotel's manager on duty. Please understand our rewards system has been changed to better reward our loyal guests. I do apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. We really hope you reconsider your decision of not returning. We hope to you will allow us the opportunity to again, provide with the type of services you made note of about your past visits.
Fostoria, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Very poor customer service experience. Took 3 phone calls just to book a room, talking to at least 3-4 different departments each time. One phone call I got hung up on after being on hold for 8-10 minutes, another phone call their system was down so they took my number and said they would call back and never did. I ended up calling a week later to find out no more rooms were available for my group, but they managed to find other arrangements. When I got there, the room wasn't ready and the manager I voiced these concerns to didn't seem to care and was not accommodating whatsoever. None of the staff was friendly. Room service didn't work on my phone in the room, outlets weren't working in the room. It was just a very poor experience. I will not be returning to this hotel, nor recommending it to anybody I know.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Hotel S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear Ashley S,

Thank you for your comments on your experience with us. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. It our goal, that all of our guests would have a great overall experience from the time of making your reservation to the the time of check out. We will make sure that our Managers are aware of your difficulty in making a reservation, to your inability to make room service calls from your room. Our guest service representatives are eager to help our guest's should they encounter any inconvenience, we want to make things right while our guest are still with us. I'm not certain as to what time you arrived to check in, however our rooms should be ready for our guest's arrival at three o'clock, our check in time. We apologize you had issues that took away from you having an exceptional stay. Thank you that you chose us to stay with. We hope you return and afford us the opportunity to exceed in our ability to serve you.
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

Furniture in my room was shabby, and there is no way to turn off the noisy fan in the bathroom. What I found most off-putting, however, was that they charged a $50 deposit to my credit card. I have stayed in dozens of hotels around the globe and I have never encountered this policy before. Maybe the hotel manager thought I was going to do serious damage the room, even though I was a 70 yr. old woman travelling alone and staying one night. In any case, requiring this deposit made me feel disrespected and untrustworthy. The manager said the deposit, if returned which he assumed it would be, would appear on my credit card statement 3-5 days later. I also found that problemmatic: why should the hotel get the float on my deposit?

There are many hotels in Alexandria, and I'm sure one could do better than the Crowne Plaza.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Hotel S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Dear Ann C,

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. We look forward to hearing what our guest think of us and have experienced. We utilize your comments to better assist and serve our guest. We apologize you were not be completely comfortable in your room. Please in the future let us know when something in not quite right we would love the opportunity to make you more comfortable. Your credit card is required for any additional hotel specific service fees or incidental charges or fees that may be charged by the hotel to the customer at checkout. The amount that is held against the card is normally $50.00. The hotel returns and releases this amount to the guest credit card if there are no incidentals or fees applied to the guest’s account upon check out. That credit is solely applied by the guest’s bank or credit card company which is usually done within 3-5 days. These policies and practices are not unusual to the hotel industry. We are sorry this caused you to be very disappointed with us. Thank you for choosing us, we hope you will return that we may better serve you.
Stafford, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Our Association held it's Annual Ceremony and Ball at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Old Town Alexandria this past weekend in January, 2014 and I have to say....RAVE REVIEWS!!!!! From the early planning stages through the entire event of over 150 attendees, we were extremely pleased!!! All of our Members and Guests received the "Red Carpet" treatment during our entire weekend stay. The Hotel offered their transit shuttle that transported us all to different venues in Old Town Alexandria Friday evening and returned every hour to bring us all back to the hotel!!!!
Hats off and great thanks to Matthew Blume, Association Sales Manager, Jennifer Southerland, Crowne Meeting Director, Jennifer Arroyo, Sales and Catering Coordinator, Hassan, Chef, Michael, Event Manager, Carl and Verone, Bartenders and Louise, Captain of the Shuttle, along with the Front Desk Professionals and the entire staff that made our event one of great memories.....
From the first "Hello".....to beautiful rooms with a gorgeous view of the Potomac River, the wonderful meals served throughout the weekend and our banquet dinner..........WOW!!!!
How does everyone receive their dinners all at the same time and how does Chef serve a sit down meal for 150 people with different meal selections a perfectly prepared Seared Salmon, Steak or Portabello Mushroom......not to mention freshly baked bread, crisp salad, savory vegetables and fabulous dessert......?????? Because he and his staff are exceptional in their profession and artists of their craft!!!!

We held our event in their exquisite Ballroom. Jennifer saw to it that the colors of table linens were hand chosen by her to fit our theme perfectly. Jennifer also took it upon herself to stay with us, long after she was off for both days, to make sure everything went off without any problems. She was right there with us to make sure that our event was a "Perfect" event!!!!
I can assure you that if you have a Wedding, Banquet, Corporate Event, Family Reunion or just You......and looking for a great place to stay that treats you right....The Crowne Plaza in Old Town Alexandria is the only place you want to stay!!!!!!!!
It has only been 48 hours since I left the Crowne Plaza and I been overwhelmed with requests from my Association Members to have our event there again next year!!!!!!

The Crowne Plaza Staff went above and beyond and surpassed our expectations for................ A FANTASTIC TIME HAD BY ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: If you love scenic views of the Potomac River, Washington DC, Maryland and Alexandria ...request a r...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Chevy R,

We appreciate your comments, your positive recognition of our staff, services and feedback on our hotel during your recent stay. It is our utmost pleasure in serving you. It is our goal to provide our guest a great overall experience. We love knowing we achieved our goal in providing you with an overall experience that was exceptional for all of your 150 attendees. Your comments will be shared with our staff to encourage continued efforts of generous hospitality. We're elated to know you would recommend us and would return, we look forward to it.
Merced, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

A pretty good place to stay in the heart of Alexandria. Good staff and reasonable food. My only knock would the 20 a night to park there. The fee is not well publicized and sneaks up on you, especially if you do a name your own price on priceline. Join the club if you want to get free wifi in the room.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Hotel S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear Brian L,

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. We're sorry you were not pleased with parking charges. Understand when making third party reservation requiring (advanced payment) there is a disclaimer that you are made aware of at the time of booking, which is in the hotel features on the these types of sites. It states the hotel offers parking for an additional charge. I would suggest inquiring with the hotel in which you would like to stay what the additional charges will be before booking the reservation. I believe that makin these types of inquiries would help in the future make your stay at any hotel you choose less dissapointing. The charge for parking which is $20 per night is very comparable to this area. Which I know in this area, you could actually pay more elsewhere. We are glad you found our staff friendly, and that our location was perfect for you to enjoy the area. We are happy you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for choosing us, and hope to see you again soon.

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria? Share your experiences!