“Parking fees are disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #30 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Merced, California
“Parking fees are disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

A pretty good place to stay in the heart of Alexandria. Good staff and reasonable food. My only knock would the 20 a night to park there. The fee is not well publicized and sneaks up on you, especially if you do a name your own price on priceline. Join the club if you want to get free wifi in the room.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Hotel S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear Brian L,

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. We're sorry you were not pleased with parking charges. Understand when making third party reservation requiring (advanced payment) there is a disclaimer that you are made aware of at the time of booking, which is in the hotel features on the these types of sites. It states the hotel offers parking for an additional charge. I would suggest inquiring with the hotel in which you would like to stay what the additional charges will be before booking the reservation. I believe that makin these types of inquiries would help in the future make your stay at any hotel you choose less dissapointing. The charge for parking which is $20 per night is very comparable to this area. Which I know in this area, you could actually pay more elsewhere. We are glad you found our staff friendly, and that our location was perfect for you to enjoy the area. We are happy you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for choosing us, and hope to see you again soon.

420 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Inwood, West Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

I was very disappointed with this hotel suite. It was a beautiful room. However, the table in the sitting area had not been cleaned and you could tell where someone had left a glass sitting. There wasn't any tea or bathrobes. You would think that a suite would have at least tea. When we went to breakfast there wasn't anyone else there. The waitress asked us if we wanted coffee. She went to get it and didn't come back for a very long time. I went to get the coffee myself. The breakfast was medicore at best. The eggs were cold and there wasn't very much to choose from. Very disappointing.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear Debra W.

We look forward to hearing what our guest think of us and have experienced. We utilize your comments to better assist and serve our guest. We're sorry you were dissappointed we did not provide bathrobes in the suites at our hotel, we do supply regular caffentated tea, caffenated and decaffenated coffee in all of our rooms. We regret you were not pleased with the breakfast and the services provided. We strive towards the goal that each guest has a great overall experience. We regret we did not obtain that goal in your instance. We are happy that you chose us, and hope that you will allow us the opportunity to serve you better in the future.
Mobile, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

The Crowne Plaza is in a quiet neighborhood of Alexandria, a short walk to some of the more lively areas of town. It is a typical business-oriented Crowne Plaza and was everything I expected, maybe a bit more.

I specifically stayed here because I was flying into DCA late and didn't want to rent a car until the following day. The Crowne Plaza has a free shuttle. It runs every 30 minutes, and they were nice enough to call it back when I missed it by a minute or two. Great service overall, in addition to that particular "above and beyond" moment.

The room was great, with a terrific view of the Potomac River. Clean, and everything in good working order. There's also a good work space, which came in handy as I had some extra work to do online. Internet connection failed me a couple of times, and that's the main negative I faced; but it was serviceable and ultimately did the job.

I was given complimentary breakfast, as well, which may have more to do with my IHG status than anything normally done. They have a good hot breakfast buffet, or you can order off the menu. The sports bar was somewhat quiet on the night I stayed, but there were a few people and a good selection of microbrews. Because the restaurant and bar are upstairs, along with the meeting space, the lobby itself was small for a hotel this size.

Overall, a worthwhile stay and the price was right. Other reviews mention that the hotel loans bikes for short trips around town. The main entertainment district is eight blocks away, so probably nice to have the bike. Or it's about a 10-minute walk in what seemed to be a very quiet, but safe, neighborhood.

Room Tip: Get a high floor with a view!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Hotel S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear GoingEverwhere,

Thank you for your valued comments. We look forward to hearing what our guest think of us and have experienced. We utilize your comments to better assist and serve our guest. We are happy you found your accommodations to be clean and comfortable. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel. It is our utmost pleasure to have served you. We are happy you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for choosing us, and hope to see you again soon.
Langhorne, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

We reserved two rooms for Christmas Eve, one for my husband and I and one for my son and his wife. My son stayed one night, and my husband and I also stayed Christmas night. My husband is a priority club member and we have been staying in Holiday Inn/Crowne Plazas, etc. for many years. The hotel appeared to be nearly empty. It was like a ghost town. I guess not many people stay in hotels over Christmas. I asked if we could have rooms facing the Potomac River, which is beautiful. The desk attendant said, NO! Not without paying $30 extra. We asked if my son and daughter in law could be upgraded to a suite or larger room because they had a child with them. The attendant's reply was the same. I asked him if rooms were available, and he laughed and said yes, indicating to me that there were MANY larger rooms available as well as river front. We were very perplexed and disappointed that even on Christmas Eve the Crowne Plaza would not bend these ridiculous monetary rules and attempt to provide a nicer stay for us, especially because it appeared we were the only ones staying at this hotel Christmas Eve and Christmas night. Why not offer free upgrades? Why not offer a waiver of $20 for parking??? The lot was empty!! We will think twice about staying there again, and would like a response from you as soon as possible.

Room Tip: Dont ask for a free upgrade even if you are a priority club member! You won't get one!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hotel S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear Bobbi L,

Happy Holidays to you, thank you for your valuable comments and feedback. Your experience is important to us. We strive towards the goal that each guest has a great overall experience. We regret we did not obtain that goal in your instance. I find it myself unfortunate that you were not given an upgrade being one of our loyal customers. We train our guest service representative to make sure our guests are satisfied. However, we do not have many suites there are only four which may have been occupied, so I would hope that was the reason you were not given that upgrade. But, I believe the river view rooms we could have tried harder to accommodate. I will speak to the Manager to make the correction necessary to our staff's services. Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention we hope that you will afford us the opportunity to extend to you the service you deserved.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Nothing truly special about the hotel. The initial staff members were very friendly and outgoing; however, the next morning staffers not so much. The morning crew: one gentlemen at the desk picked up the phone right in front of me to make a call and the other was busy reading a magazine. All I wanted to know was where Starbucks was located in the hotel. We did find the location with his help but didn't bother to tell us it was closed.

Our room was very small and we didn't feel the room was exactly clean. However, we had additional family member in a Jr Suite, that was very nice and roomy. Honestly Jr Suite is the way to go.

Parking was a good price at $21 a day and appeared to be ample. Note the parking garage is a little challenge to locate between the buildings, with no available signs pointing the way.

Enjoy!

Stayed December 2013
Dear Kimberdny11,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are very happy to hear from our guest, receiving constructive comments help to show us where we can work harder to serve our guest better. We apologize if our staff's attentiveness was not exemplary during your stay. We are happy that you were pleased with the accommodations, It is our goal that your entire stay would have been more than just so, so, we strive for our guest stays to be exceptional. We hope you will return to give a chance to make that happen for you.
Littlestown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

Hotel is located within walking distance of the Mary Gates Center which is good for folks who are attending events there. They also have the closest parking. Although I had to wait for my room (which shoukld not have been the case since it was already after 5PM when I checked in), they did upgrade me to a wonderful suite. So accomodations were exceptional! Breakfast was good too although they did not have sausage on their buffet and the scrambled eggs were without any cheese or other additions.

Room Tip: Get a suite of at all possible
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Hotel S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Pjtom123,

We appreciate your comments, your positive recognition of our services and feedback on our hotel during your recent stay. It is our utmost pleasure in serving you. It is our goal to provide our guest a great overall experience. We are happy you enjoyed your stay and anticipating your return.
rshkj
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

This stay was alot better than the first. The rooms at the Crown are very nice, and the staff was very nice this time. The problems are the internet is slow and the food is not good and bar service is not very good either. There are several restaurants close by so it is not that big of a deal, but you would think the food would be better.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear rshkj,

Thank you so much, for your comment we always look forward to hearing from our guest on where we can improve. I am sorry that you had an issue with our restaurant staff's services and our WiFi which is being upgraded to improve our guest connection. It is our goal to make sure every one of guest has absolutely fantastic stay. We apologize you had issues that took away from you having an exceptional stay. Thank you for choosing us, we hope that you return and allow us the opportunity to serve your needs better.

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria? Share your experiences!