“Christmas Eve Scrooge” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Langhorne, Pennsylvania
“Christmas Eve Scrooge”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

We reserved two rooms for Christmas Eve, one for my husband and I and one for my son and his wife. My son stayed one night, and my husband and I also stayed Christmas night. My husband is a priority club member and we have been staying in Holiday Inn/Crowne Plazas, etc. for many years. The hotel appeared to be nearly empty. It was like a ghost town. I guess not many people stay in hotels over Christmas. I asked if we could have rooms facing the Potomac River, which is beautiful. The desk attendant said, NO! Not without paying $30 extra. We asked if my son and daughter in law could be upgraded to a suite or larger room because they had a child with them. The attendant's reply was the same. I asked him if rooms were available, and he laughed and said yes, indicating to me that there were MANY larger rooms available as well as river front. We were very perplexed and disappointed that even on Christmas Eve the Crowne Plaza would not bend these ridiculous monetary rules and attempt to provide a nicer stay for us, especially because it appeared we were the only ones staying at this hotel Christmas Eve and Christmas night. Why not offer free upgrades? Why not offer a waiver of $20 for parking??? The lot was empty!! We will think twice about staying there again, and would like a response from you as soon as possible.

Room Tip: Dont ask for a free upgrade even if you are a priority club member! You won't get one!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hotel S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear Bobbi L,

Happy Holidays to you, thank you for your valuable comments and feedback. Your experience is important to us. We strive towards the goal that each guest has a great overall experience. We regret we did not obtain that goal in your instance. I find it myself unfortunate that you were not given an upgrade being one of our loyal customers. We train our guest service representative to make sure our guests are satisfied. However, we do not have many suites there are only four which may have been occupied, so I would hope that was the reason you were not given that upgrade. But, I believe the river view rooms we could have tried harder to accommodate. I will speak to the Manager to make the correction necessary to our staff's services. Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention we hope that you will afford us the opportunity to extend to you the service you deserved.

392 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Nothing truly special about the hotel. The initial staff members were very friendly and outgoing; however, the next morning staffers not so much. The morning crew: one gentlemen at the desk picked up the phone right in front of me to make a call and the other was busy reading a magazine. All I wanted to know was where Starbucks was located in the hotel. We did find the location with his help but didn't bother to tell us it was closed.

Our room was very small and we didn't feel the room was exactly clean. However, we had additional family member in a Jr Suite, that was very nice and roomy. Honestly Jr Suite is the way to go.

Parking was a good price at $21 a day and appeared to be ample. Note the parking garage is a little challenge to locate between the buildings, with no available signs pointing the way.

Enjoy!

Stayed December 2013
Dear Kimberdny11,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are very happy to hear from our guest, receiving constructive comments help to show us where we can work harder to serve our guest better. We apologize if our staff's attentiveness was not exemplary during your stay. We are happy that you were pleased with the accommodations, It is our goal that your entire stay would have been more than just so, so, we strive for our guest stays to be exceptional. We hope you will return to give a chance to make that happen for you.
Littlestown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

Hotel is located within walking distance of the Mary Gates Center which is good for folks who are attending events there. They also have the closest parking. Although I had to wait for my room (which shoukld not have been the case since it was already after 5PM when I checked in), they did upgrade me to a wonderful suite. So accomodations were exceptional! Breakfast was good too although they did not have sausage on their buffet and the scrambled eggs were without any cheese or other additions.

Room Tip: Get a suite of at all possible
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Hotel S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Pjtom123,

We appreciate your comments, your positive recognition of our services and feedback on our hotel during your recent stay. It is our utmost pleasure in serving you. It is our goal to provide our guest a great overall experience. We are happy you enjoyed your stay and anticipating your return.
rshkj
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

This stay was alot better than the first. The rooms at the Crown are very nice, and the staff was very nice this time. The problems are the internet is slow and the food is not good and bar service is not very good either. There are several restaurants close by so it is not that big of a deal, but you would think the food would be better.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear rshkj,

Thank you so much, for your comment we always look forward to hearing from our guest on where we can improve. I am sorry that you had an issue with our restaurant staff's services and our WiFi which is being upgraded to improve our guest connection. It is our goal to make sure every one of guest has absolutely fantastic stay. We apologize you had issues that took away from you having an exceptional stay. Thank you for choosing us, we hope that you return and allow us the opportunity to serve your needs better.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

I wrote a review for this hotel prior, as I have stayed here quite a few times. While I give the hotel a mediocre rating, as it's a business hotel in a quiet side of town, I'm not expecting anything fancy, but I feel the hotel isn't being very well maintained.

I just checked in for a multi-night stay, and my room isn't just showing signs of needing an update, but complete neglect. There are HUGE stains all over the floor, the bathroom ceiling has bubbles in it, and the wallpaper in the bathroom is peeling.

It's too bad, because the hotel used to be fairly nice. I'm afraid what it will look like 6 months down the road.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Hotel S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear Mikelogan2,

Thank you for your valued comments. We look forward to hearing what our guest think of us and have experienced. Your comments are vital in helping us to continue to assert improvements where it is necessary. We apologize that you were not pleased with your experience with us. It our goal, that all of our guests would have a great overall experience. We will make sure that our Managers are aware of this to make the necessary changes to improve. Thank you for choosing us, we look forward to you returning to allow us to exceed in our ability to serve you.
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

There are so many hotel options available in the DC metro area, sometimes it is a challange to make a good choice. On our last trip to the area, we decided to take the opportunity to visit Old Town Alexandria on a Saturday and Sunday. We decided on this hotel because it offered a Potomoc View King Room for a discounted rate. Being an IHG club member added additional amenities; free internet and a luxuriously late 2:pm checkout. The hotel was clean and spacious, not a luxury hotel, but comfortable. I asked for a high floor and the view of the DC skyline from the 10th floor really was just what I asked for. I kept my curtains open practically the entire time we were there. We did see planes landing at Reagan, but we did not hear them. This hotel is about six blocks from the famous King Street shops and there is a jogging/walking/bike trail that runs from the hotel straight into town. On King street a free trolley runs continuously and ends at the metro line if you want to go into DC. The hotel has bikes available to lend, and if you are so inclined, this is a wonderful way to get around and enjoy the waterfront. It was rather chilly and windy while we were there, so we passed on the bikes. We did have breakfast in the hotel restaurant. It was a real treat with a full service menu and waiter service, as opposed to the typical buffet. I must say, however, that the thing that most impressed us about this hotel was the level of service. Every person we encountered was friendly and helpful and went out of their way to make us feel welcome. If you want to get away from the hustle of DC and the predictability of the King Street tourist traps, I suggest you give this hotel a try.

Room Tip: If you choose a Potomoc View Room, ask for a high floor for the best views.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Patti,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We really appreciate your recognition of our staff, we take pride in our staff's ability to serve our guest. We are glad you chose us, and hope you would return and look forward to it.
Bridgewater
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

I liked this hotel very much, got upgraded due to Platinum status, and had a very large suite.
The hotel was clean and well kept but the internet service was horrendous. I sat down to get work done after returning from dinner and ended up getting nothing done because the internet was so slow.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear flashbridgewater,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. It is our goal to make sure every one of guest has an absolutely fantastic stay. We apologize that you were not pleased with your experience with us. We have recently began making changes in our services with our WiFi provider to improve the WiFi connection for our guest, which should be completely installed in the upcoming months. We are glad you chose us, and we hope you would return, to experience the comfortable accommodations and convenience of our hotel.

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria? Share your experiences!