“Good Value in a pricey city” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #29 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Huntsville, Alabama
“Good Value in a pricey city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Clean, quiet, roomy and centrally located. If you are from out of town - check in with the visitors center for a parking pass. Will save you $20 a day for parking. You have to park street side but this is not a rough area and your car is as safe on the street as anywhere. Eat breakfast at the Deli across the street. It's fantastic and cheap!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hotel S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Rufus1959,

Thank your for your wonderful comments and feedback on your stay with us. It is really nice to hear that the bicycles are a great perk to your visit here in Old Town Alexandria. We had hoped that utilization of the the bikes would be a exciting plus to our guests' stay with us. We look forward to seeing again.

401 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

A clean, efficient, good value hotel with helpful front-desk staff, but sometimes the advice given on local amenities was incorrect. They try to help but their local knowledge could be better. There should be room safes. There isn't even secure storage at Reception as an alternative - just an offer to put valuables in the "back room". I wouldn’t select it for a conference because of this.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Hotel S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear poplarcottage,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your comments and feedback. We believe every guests' experience expressed to us is valuable. We will share your feedback with our staff. We want our guest to experience a stay that is not only comfortable but also convenient. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.
Dubuque
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Clean and nice. I would have a meeting there anytime. The meal and meeting staff bends over backwards to meet your needs. A mile from the metro makes you shuttle dependent but they are pretty good about getting you there. A nice walk along the river to downtown Alexandria.

I suspect the front-desk computer needs better software. And the IT department must be off on the weekend since no wireless was to be had on Saturday - down and stayed down.

Join the perks club - it gets you free wifi (when It works) and reduced parking. So no waiting for pie in the sky....

Dear Williebugdubuque,

Thank you very much for you taking time to give us your comments on your recent stay with us. We are always happy to here that our guest have received great service during their stay. We will share your great comments with our staff. We do apologize for any inconvenience with the internet service may have caused. We certainly look forward to your return.
Las Vegas, Nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

I'm a Platinum level with IHG and don't expect too awful much - heck, most of my IHG stays are at Holiday Inn Express - but when booking a Crowne Plaza, I expect at least some minimal effort at check-in to recognize my status and at least try to provide some of the benefits I've supposedly earned by staying over 50 nights at various IHG properties.

Unfortunately, check-in at this Crowne Plaza in Old Town Alexandria felt like I was checking into an alternate universe. The clerk was completely clueless about my reservation and status, and while he literally stared at his computer screen for two minutes, hoping something would magically appear, two other staff members carried on a conversation about who was dating whom three feet away. When I asked about a possible upgrade (one of the few valuable perks of being a Plat at a full-service IHG hotel), the clerk said "We do those first come first served" - no recognition of the fact that my reservation had been made two weeks prior. I wasn't checked in so much as processed.

I did receive an "amenity" at check-in, provided as an afterthought after finally receiving my key some 15 minutes after check-in was started: A bottle of water, an apple, and a bag of regular potato chips. I estimate this "amenity" cost the hotel 60 cents to provide.

It was all kind of pointless from there - the standard room I received was clean but dated; there are no HDTV channels on the TV system; bathrooms are small and dated. Nothing ever rose past the level of average.

I reported my experience through IHG's guest satisfaction system and received a voice mail from a bored manager; when I returned the call I had to go through a "press 1, press 2... press 9" system that ended in an incoherent recorded request to leave a message, which I did. There has been no further response from this hotel. No doubt there will be a boilerplate response left here in the same bored, inept manner as the staff has demonstrated so far.

Hotels are all about service and experience - the one-on-one interactions with the guest. This hotel simply doesn't get that.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Hotel S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for your valuable comments and feedback. We are always appreciative of our guest comments. You comments are exactly what is needed for us to continue to always be aware of how important our guest experiences are. We do apologize that your experience was not at the level of your expectations, which is our goal to meet expectations of every one of our loyal guest. We will address this with our staff as a learning tool of how to give our guest sincere thoughtful intentions and attentiveness to the needs of our guest that are the threads to great customer service. We do hope you give us another opportunity to exercise the great quality of service that is definitely our goal for all of our loyal guest as yourself.
Baltimore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I attended a conference at this hotel. I had initially planned to stay at the Crowne Plaza, but was put off by several things. I am glad that I stayed at another hotel. The reservation staff at the Crowne Plaza was not very helpful when I called about making a reservation. The hotel was pricey even with the conference discount. Since the hotel charges $20 per day for parking, I asked whether there were other parking options in the area. The staff member said that there probably were but was unable to give me information about other parking.

I stayed at a nearby hotel. The room cost was 60% less. On top of that, the other hotel had free parking, free breakfast and helpful staff.

The Crowne Plaza did a poor job of planning the conference rooms. The doors and walls let sound through so that we had a contend with a lot of background noise. A group of Christian Chiropractors had their conference in an area next to a room where I attended about half of my conference events. We were only separated from the Chiropractor group by one of those thin flexible room dividers. The Chiropractor group frequently sang loud hymns, not always on key or exactly in unison. We spoke to the hotel staff and to the chiropractor group but nothing could be done about the sound situation or the frequent loud hymn singing. I would think that if the hotel sells space to more than one group, they would consider sound issues and at least put the loud group in a separate room with real walls. (I attended a conference at a different location last year and we shared the location with a national bagpipe convention. However the location that hosted did a great job arranging things so that the sound was not a problem-we actually enjoyed the bagpipers and were invited to a bagpipe recital.)

Dear Divermom3,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your valuable comments and feedback. We take your comments very serious. They are useful for our improvement to better serve you. I apologize that the attendance of your conference was not up to your expectations. Thank you again for the feedback, we are going to address those concerns to better accommodate meetings in the future. Our intention at the Crowne Plaza is that your experience, whether it be in your accommodations or in a conference setting, it is always a great experience. We would hope that you'll give us another opportunity to fulfill your expectations of an excellent stay.
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

If I could give 3 1/2 stars, would do so. Room 1011 had a nice view past the parking lot to the water over the bridge to DC. The room was on the large side, lots of mirrors, good air conditioning, satisfactory bathroom (really hot water), king bed, ergonomic desk chair, well soundproofed. Conference facilities fine, public bathrooms clean. Food catered by hotel was mediocre - tasteless bagels that wouldn't brown in their toasters, for ex. Coffee a B+. The 'restaurant' food was limited - very small menu. Service sweet but verrrry slow - a half hour to make a sandwich when restaurant was almost deserted.

The front desk staff was seriously lacking in information, even about whether all the shuttles stopped at the subway. They also had no idea whether the water was hard (my stomach doesn't like hard water). However, when a huge deluge made it prohibitive to walk 3 blocks to a restaurant where we had dinner reservations, one employee, Dave, volunteered to drive us in his van! And the manager responded to my email request for a down pillow. A pool, he said, can be used at the Holiday Inn down the road.

So many plusses, a few minuses -

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Hotel S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Badbacktraveler,

Thank you for your valued comments, we look forward to hearing from our guest on how we can make improvements. It is our goal to make sure every all of guest has absolutely fantastic stay. I will forward this valuable information to my Department Heads for subsequent improvements. We are constantly training our staff to ensure our guests are satisfaction. We are apologize that your experience reflects that we did not live up to that goal. We will also pass on to our staff that you have given them name recognition of the services. We hope we to see you soon.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Great location, approx. 15 minutes from DC yet away from the crowds.
Walk or use one of their complimentary bicycles to town. Rooms have a view of the Potomac and while they do not have a swimming pool there is access their sister properties pool.
An added bonus of staying in Alexandria is that the Tourist board will issue a 24 hour parking permit for visitors. Save yourself the $20.00 parking in the lot and park on the street for free!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria? Share your experiences!