“Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Washington
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

The Plaza is not a terrible hotel. I find it curious that the more stars a hotel has, the less in room amentities. In the Plaza's case, you must request a refridgerator ($10), they do not come standard. If you want a hottub, forget it. They only exist in the suites. The rooms are average and the hotel could use some cosmedic surgery.
On the plus side, through the discount sites you can get a room for under $100. If you must travel into DC, the hotel operates a free shuttle every 30 minutes to Reagan airport where you can catch the Metro (subway) starting around 5 A.M.
For food there are 2-3 restraunts around, a grocery store and a liquor store all within about 2 blocks. After that, its about a mile to King st (the main drag) for food and shopping.
Its not bad, its just not good.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Hotel S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you for your valuable comments and feedback. We are always appreciative of all comments our guest leave us. They are looked at very seriously to improve our guest's stays with us. Our goal is that our guest stays are an outstanding stay of great service and value. We apologize we were unable to fulfill the request for that particular accommodations and the frustration and inconvenience it caused you. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

393 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stayed with my husband as part of a large tour group

LOCATION just out of central Alexandria, but walkable to all the action and the Pontomac river. Supermarket only 1 block away. 15 minutes from DC (traffic dependant!)

FACILITIES stock standard. Pool located at partner holiday inn around the corner. Shuttle service to Alexandria if you don't want to walk. Business centre downstairs (2 computers and printer). Heard rumours of free wifi throughout the hotel, but could only locate overpriced service, disappointing given the large business and tourist traffic that comes through

ROOM large and spacious. Excellent air con. Lots of lights and a night light near the toilet in the bathroom is a nice touch. Block out blinds ensure a good nights sleep. No safe in room. Really nice toiletries.

BED super comfortable, lots of pillows

STAFF friendly and helpful. Everyone smiles!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for sharing your comments about your stay with us. We extremely happy to hear you stay was a great one. Your experience is the goal we have for all of our guest. Hope to see you again soon.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

I would call this a great hotel that'll blow you away. It's just what it is-a solid good stay.

I liked the rooms but the lobby and hallways consistently had weird odors. The room was great, had nice toiletries, fancy sleep aids but the bathrooms and ballrooms need a major overhaul. It looks like they were half updated.

The bar leaves something to be desired. It's not bad but its not gear either. They have cheap happy hour drinks.

The hotel is a bit further from the pier and King St where all the action is.

Overall my gf and I were satisfied.

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for giving us your valued feedback and comment on your stay with us. We are always happy to hear about your experience. In sharing your experiences with us it helps us to ensure great stays for our other guests, so we are very appreciative of you taking the time to do so. They are of great importance and allow us to monitor and improve in the areas you have mentioned. Thank you again and we look forward to you staying in the future.
Greenville, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Good location and nice facilities, but really bad service, I made a reservation about a month in advance for two rooms and I requested one handicapped accessible room for my sister and after I booked online I took the time to call to make sure it was available, when we arrived to the hotel they told us that they did not have any; It was really frustrating because my sister is in a wheelchair and she really needed it, I literally had to fight them to get acommodated in a room that was close to what we needed.
I will never go there again and I don't recommend it

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Paisita M,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. I am sorry you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional details regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Krysllin G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I just returned from a business trip at the Crowne Plaza Old Town. Not only did I stay here, but our two-day workshop was held in the Washington Room of the hotel.

The location cannot be beat. This hotel is half a block from the Potomac River and Tide Lock Park with a view of the Capitol. There is a small sand/beach volleyball court on the beach, plenty of benches, and a walking path along the Potomac. Even closer, directly across the street from the hotel is a multi-court tennis court and playground with a gazebo.

I traveled to Alexandra via Amtrak. Getting from Amtrak to the Crowne Plaza was very easy. There are DASH bus stops in front of both the Amtrak station and the hotel and the cost was only $1.50 one-way.

My room was clean and comfortable. The mini-frig worked too well. It was so cold my drinks froze overnight, but the temperature was easily adjustable.

My only complaint was that I ordered room service my first evening, and placed the tray outside of my door when I was finished. The tray was still there at 6:45 the next morning. I returned to my room around 4:45 p.m. and the tray was still there. I called room service at that time to remind them, and was told that someone would pick it up. I left for dinner and returned to the room at 8:30 p.m. to find the tray still in front of my door---more than 24 hours later. At this point I called the front desk, and within half an hour the tray was finally removed.

Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

The road warrior is back on the road again. Stayed last week at the Crowne Plaza Old Town Alexandria and was very pleased with this property. First of all, FREE shuttle service to and from the Ronald Regan Airport. SCORE! Got to the hotel and was very pleased with the lobby and the appearance of the public areas. Evening check in after 8p and they had room service still open, so I had dinner sent to my room so I could relax and get ready for my meetings on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Got a 12th floor king bedded room (top floor) and it was very nice. I felt I had plenty of space for the time I would be on the road for this trip. Woke up Thursday AM and had a great shower experience. My only comment about the bathroom was it had the one light over the vanity and the toilet is in a corner without a light over it and the shower was also kinda dim. ALSO, the vanity was large, but the sink was not centered. So shaving in the AM, I was leaning over to see the mirror, because the sink was not in front of the mirror, more to the side. OTHER THAN THAT, I really enjoyed the buffet breakfast available on the 2nd floor in the restaurant and once again got a ride on their shuttle to my Old Town Office. Very convenient location for where I need to be. In the past, my association has placed me at the Westin, but I found these accommodations to be comparable and the prices were better. I will be back in July and I look forward to another great stay.

Room Tip: Free business center in the lobby. Breakfast buffet was very good and lots of variety.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Hotel S, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear HotelDude,

Thank you so very much for your pleasant comments and feedback. We are always happy to hear about great stays with us. In sharing your experiences with us it helps us to ensure great stays for our other guests, so we are very appreciative of you taking the time to do so. We look forward to your return and hope that during your stay we will out do ourselves again for you to experience an even better stay.
Chester, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Sent here from the Holiday Inn which was full we got a better deal! Excellent, helpful staff. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. My only complaint was the $15.00 charge for parking. But not unusual for the area.

Room Tip: 8th floor view was nice, our room was on the end of the hall, very quiet.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you for your comments and we are extremely pleased that you enjoyed your stay!!!

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria? Share your experiences!