“Business Trip to Old Town Alexandria” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 20%
Ranked #30 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Sacramento, California
“Business Trip to Old Town Alexandria”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

The road warrior is back on the road again. Stayed last week at the Crowne Plaza Old Town Alexandria and was very pleased with this property. First of all, FREE shuttle service to and from the Ronald Regan Airport. SCORE! Got to the hotel and was very pleased with the lobby and the appearance of the public areas. Evening check in after 8p and they had room service still open, so I had dinner sent to my room so I could relax and get ready for my meetings on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Got a 12th floor king bedded room (top floor) and it was very nice. I felt I had plenty of space for the time I would be on the road for this trip. Woke up Thursday AM and had a great shower experience. My only comment about the bathroom was it had the one light over the vanity and the toilet is in a corner without a light over it and the shower was also kinda dim. ALSO, the vanity was large, but the sink was not centered. So shaving in the AM, I was leaning over to see the mirror, because the sink was not in front of the mirror, more to the side. OTHER THAN THAT, I really enjoyed the buffet breakfast available on the 2nd floor in the restaurant and once again got a ride on their shuttle to my Old Town Office. Very convenient location for where I need to be. In the past, my association has placed me at the Westin, but I found these accommodations to be comparable and the prices were better. I will be back in July and I look forward to another great stay.

Room Tip: Free business center in the lobby. Breakfast buffet was very good and lots of variety.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Hotel S, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear HotelDude,

Thank you so very much for your pleasant comments and feedback. We are always happy to hear about great stays with us. In sharing your experiences with us it helps us to ensure great stays for our other guests, so we are very appreciative of you taking the time to do so. We look forward to your return and hope that during your stay we will out do ourselves again for you to experience an even better stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Chester, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Sent here from the Holiday Inn which was full we got a better deal! Excellent, helpful staff. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. My only complaint was the $15.00 charge for parking. But not unusual for the area.

Room Tip: 8th floor view was nice, our room was on the end of the hall, very quiet.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you for your comments and we are extremely pleased that you enjoyed your stay!!!
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

The Crowne Plaza is a very nice hotel that is well maintained and super clean. The beds were also very comfortable. Our rooms overlooked the Potomac and DC. The hotel provides a shuttle to the airport/metro, which is convenient but it can be full at times. My only issue would be with the front desk personnel. When we checked in, the staff member at the front desk was wonderful. The staff at other times were not as customer service oriented so the level of service depended on who was at the front desk. One shuttle driver took the time to explain the metro and the best stops for our itinerary, which was very nice of him. Overall, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Cambridgeshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Stayed one night prior to flight back to UK, had a room on the 12th floor unfortunately with no view to speak off but that's irrelevant, full height windows just looked out onto the town of Alexandria.

Extremely comfy bed, good TV selection, and all this at a great rate using Priority Club Rewards, Wifi in the room runs $10 a day normally but I was getting it free as a member of Priority Club Rewards and also got a reduced rate for parking as a member.

The hotel location is very good, and close to the waterfront with its attractions, nice park area and short stroll to King Street for eateries and bars. it was Rolling Thunder weekend so the place was full of bikers and their machines but we managed to get a meal with no problems, I recommend O'Donnells Irish bar - very good food and Guinness!

We did not in the hotel other than breakfast which was pretty good, had a drink or two at the bar and the selection of craft beers was very nice.

Enjoyed a leisurely walk before we left the next morning and if we are ever in the DC area again we will definately stay here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

The hotel was very nice and clean. We really enjoyed the free bike rentals they offered and the many bike paths around town and into DC. I really just want to credit one of the hotel managers, Dave Collier, for going above and beyond and truely caring about his guests' experience:
My friend and I were rushing back to the hotel from the city. When we finally got back and got our bags from the storage room we found out the next airport shuttle wouldn't be for another 30 minutes, which would make it very very probable we would miss our flight home. Even though it was not his or the hotels fault, Dave jumped into action, just grabbed a set of keys and a shuttle van and drove us personally to the airport. It was amazing and a flight saver (see what i did there?). I left him some money for the gas and his trouble but he did this expecting absolutely nothing. He is absolutely just the type of person that couldnt in good concious not help out two panicked and clueless young girls.

Crowne Plaza is lucky to have this guy!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
rshkj
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

The hotel rooms are very nice and they are clean. The problem is the front desk people, they act like they don't care if you are there or not. I wanted to add my priority club number at check in, the lady at the counter told me she couldn't add it because the reservation was made in someone else's name. I gave my credit card for the stay and my ID to check in, and I was the only one in the room. This is the way my company does it and it has never been an issue until this Crown Plaza. The bar people were not very friendly either, maybe it was just bad timing on my part to stay there. I moved to the Holiday Inn for nights 2 and 3, the people are much more pleasant. ( I have reviewed them also )

Room Tip: The Dolly Madison suite is very nice, you can hear the planes but they stop about 10pm
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear rshkj,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests. I apologize for the shortfalls during your recent stay with us. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Fort Myers, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

The hotel was clean and staff was courteous. The location is not the best as it relates to public transit. They have one van that leaves every half hour. We were there for a conference and everyone was leaving at the same time. One van is not enough. Its quite a hike to the Metro, if you miss the shuttle. It is also a hike to any restaurants, except for the Japanese Steak House which is located about 2 blocks away. The phrase, location, location, location in DC means a lot. I would probably not stay there again, simply because of the location. Their restaurant for lunch and dinner was average. Breakfast buffet or order off the menu was good. Again, I would stay closer to the metro if I had a choice. This trip I did not have a choice.

Room Tip: If you are a priority member be sure to let them know so you can get an upgrade. Stay on the river...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear 1953ladybug,

Thank you for providing us with a very considerate review and thank you for staying with us. I appreciate the compliments on the staff and the level of service provided. It encourages our team members to work even harder and consistently delight our guests. However, I would like to apologize for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria? Share your experiences!