“Should have checked a map first!” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #29 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Should have checked a map first!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Hubby and I decided we wanted to go to some of the places we missed in our 30 years of living in NOVA so we booked 3 nights here. The room was ok, well, the view was great - up high facing the river. Walls were thin and our neighbors loud. The TV was Dish, analog, and poor local channel reception. We walked to breakfast each day...better options and price. It was a hike to King Street (shopping and good restaurants), and to the Metro (unless you waited for the shuttle). Next time we'll go to a place close to Metro.

Room Tip: Up high facing the River.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel S, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thank you for the your feedback and comments. We are always eager to hear what our guest think. I understand our location may not have been a convenient location for itinerary. Even though the accommodations were comfortable. We hope that the next time you return to the area you will want to enjoy our bicycles that are free to the guest to use to site the area. We are also very close to other places of interest in the City of Alexandria. Hopefully next time, we could give you information on what's enjoyable near by to see.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
The Hague, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

The hotel looks great. Checking in caused problems, as there were some computer issues. I got a room, however when I opened the door the room was already occupied (OEPS!!!!). The computer was blaimed. The second room (317) was large and had good beds (Queens) (I slept well). There is no safe or refrigerater in de room(!!!). The internet is to be paid for ($9.00 a day). When you have more devices (phone, laptop, tablet) you have to pay for each seperately. I made a complain, which resulted in a single payment when I would leave my name and address (so I did!). My reservation included breakfast (scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, toast and some cornflakes). Initially I booked directly at the hotel. I found out that it would be much cheaper doing so through a booking site (Expedia). It saved me 50%(!!!).

The service at the bar was (very) slow. The bar itself looked nice.

The reason I stayed in this hotel was, that all other hotel were fully booked. This hotel still had rooms available. I normally stay at Monaco (Kingstreet).

It is about 15 minutes walking to downtown (King Street). The walk along the Patomic is nice.
Parking is not included ($20,00)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hotel S, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you for the feedback and comments. We look to our guest to give their feedback that we may better accommodate the needs of our guest. We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. We are constantly training our staff, and will share your experience to our staff to further enlighten them on ways to accomplish the goals of our mission to great guest service.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Not the newest or most recently refurbished hotel in Alexandria- but very convenient with a shuttle to Washington National. Have been staying there off and on for over 8 years- the amazing things is that some of the staff have been there that long as well! Turnover appears to be low which I take as a good sign. In particular, Jose, in Maintenance is especially helpful (seems I have had several issues over the years but that is my usual luck- not a reflection on the hotel)- after replacing parts in the toilet, he came back with disinfectant to clean any surfaces he might have touched- including the door knobs! David Collier has been promoted from van driver to Concierge and is always smiling and available to help. Anna who cleaned my room also did a great job-

Room Tip: Ask for a higher up room- better view- also away from the elevator helps.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Lynchburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We stayed in this hotl for 3 nights.
We appreciated the shuttle which took us to the airport to get the train into DC.
The employees of the hotel were helpful and pleasant.
I especially appreciated Floriui Diaz, who worked at the main desk and shared much info to make our visit of DC and of Old Town Alexandria easier to navigate.

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the river and/or DC
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Seattle WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Stayed two nights on vacation trip, solo. I was handed a room on the 9th floor with a wonderful view to the north, of the Potomac, full height windows, and comfortable easy chair with good artificial lighting, adjacent to the window. Beautiful bed, good TV, and all this with a rate using Priceline bid. I don’t think my $135 per nite before-tax rate was that much lower than rack rate, but compared to other DC rates, quite fair for the quality.

Wifi in the room runs $10 a day but I was successful at getting it free as a member of Priority Club Rewards. Upon checkout, the staff thought this was a mistake but honored it.

There was plenty of street parking right out the door, so if you can hit a weekend, plug a meter, you might not need to use their fee-for-parking option. The tourist info office offers a one day free parking pass to visitors, I read. The hotel location is very good, and close to lots of what you need.

Others have complained about the restaurant. I ate a meal there on a Monday night, straddling their happy hour. I received great service from no less than three earnest servers. The crab cake salad was fine; as was beer, but I wish they carried a better craft beer selection. You might give it a try, especially if you don’t feel like driving to a restaurant in town.

One thing about the environs I did not take advantage of is a waterfront park a few blocks east, and a running path along the tracks behind the building. I saw scads of locals doing their walks/jogs/rides one nice spring evening.

Room Tip: Upper floor facing north with view of the Potomac River and capital in the far distance.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

We are at the hotel as I type this. This place is great park And water front is amazing and our front desk lady Ashiya is amazing always willing to help a accommodating and more then friendly.. When u get here look for her it will make your stay as good as ours. Enjoy

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for all the great comments we love the positive feedback. It is truly our pleasure to service our guests. I am glad to hear that we meant your expectations so well. Next time you stay with us try out the bicycles that we have available that are free to our guest to enjoy the area. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Hackensack, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and the morning before I checked out I realized a pair of my jeans was missing. I never took it out from my luggage and while I left the room I did zip my luggage ( i have a secure lock but I did not use it, thinking only clothes in the luggage) so they took it out from my luggage, housekeeper is a thief!!!! Very disappointed, reporting this to the hotel but they simply asked me to talk to LOST AND FOUND like this is no big deal, and people who answered my phone from the L&F was telling me she is gonna calling me back but she never calls. ( But what is the point, I didn't leave the item in the room by accident, they stole it from my luggage!!!) If you are going to stay at this hotel, bring the important items with you and never leave it in the room!!!! And make sure you bring a lock that you can lock your luggage.

I have send the e-mail to hotel and to IHG group ( they owned Crowne Plaze) and still waiting for their response. Even most discussions online saying the hotel stolen usually became unresolved but I just want them to know stealing from hotel guests are NOT tolerated and even it is just a pair of jeans!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
We thank you for your comments and feedback. Please contact our Hotel Manager for us to do a more in depth investigation of your claim. We take claims of this nature extremely serious. We are sorry if you have not seen results is this matter as to where your pants could be. We are taking measures to find out what has happen in the disappearance of your pants. As mentioned earlier please contact our Hotel Manager to further investigate.

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria? Share your experiences!