“Average hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
Merchantville, New Jersey
“Average hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

This hotel was very average and bland. Rooms are a little outdated and in need of upgrades, we had a partial view of the city. We came during inauguration so it was madness the entire time. Not enough staff was on duty to handle the large groups in house. It was pointless to ask the front desk any questions because we would have to stand in line for 30 minutes to ask a question. Not impressed...
We had an issue being double charged for parking but when we called a nice lady corrected the mistake without any hassle. Thank you!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear HotelLove88,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. . I was delighted to read that after some initial issues with your stay, these were soon sorted and this allowed you to enjoy your stay with us. We will always endeavor to ensure that all our guests stays are comfortable. I would also like to apologize for any inconvenience the room conditions may have caused you. Your comments are being reviewed by the hotel's management and appropriate action will be taken.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

I recently had a , three day stay at the Crown Plaza. I was having a bad day but went to check-in and was greeted by the front desk staff. I'm sure they seen that I was upset at the the time, Ashiya was great and very professional. She let me know about things to do in the area and I thank her for that. Had a great one and stay.

• Stayed January 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I recently stayed here for a business trip to the area, the front desk staff were prompt in checking me in and I was provided free drink tickets for each day I was there which was a nice surprise. Breakfast at the restaurant was included in our work package with the hotel, otherwise I would have not eaten there. Food was just ok. The food at the Gastropub was good though for dinner. I had a crab cake salad and the crab was very fresh. The amenities were nice and the bed was very comfy. Overall a good stay for a business trip or a short vacation to the area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Hotel S, Administrator at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Thank you for all the great comments we love the positive feedback. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am glad to hear that our location worked out so well for you that you would consider it also a great location for your vacation. It was our great pleasure to have delighted your appetite in our restaurant. Since you were here previously for business the next you stay with us, try the bicycles that we have available that our free to our guest to enjoy the area. We look forward to seeing you again in the future for your vacation.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

So coming here, I thought this place was really really nice, starting at the front desk, as a Priority Club member and platiium status, you would think they would recongnize you for that status. Not at all!!! I thought an upgrade would come, Not all all. Rooms are not that impressive at all. Nice views of the city and the water, but that's about it. This is not was I expect of an Crown Plaza and I feel it's way over priced for what I paid for this place. The staff does not appear they have a clue what they are doing. Im so looking forward to checking out of this place and to never return. I would not recommend this place, unless you have no other choice. This is most likely why they offered bonus points to stay here.

Room Tip: Try to get a presidental suite, if you can, that's about the only way you will enjoy this place...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Hotel S, Administrator at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
I am sorry that your stay was not up to your expectations. Thank you for the feedback and we are going to address your concern with our associates. As our loyal customers as yourself are the basis of our growth and recognition. Our intention at the Crowne Plaza is to make you feel as comfortable in our hotel as you would if you're at your own home. I apologize if the room you stayed in with the water view room was not a sufficient upgrade. Please let us know when you return again so we give you the service we you so desired initially.
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I absolutely love this hotel. There is an unlimited amount of things to do in walking distance. Bikes, trails, dining, king st, shopping .... unlimited!

Staff is always helpful. And it's always clean. Most hotels in my opinion could use a little updating in the bathrooms - but not everything can be brand new. I've never had a bad stay here!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Hotel S, Administrator at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for all the great comments we love the positive feedback. It is truly our pleasure to service our guests. I am glad to hear that are location worked out so well for you. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, hope you enjoyed the bicycles that we had available that are free to our guest to enjoy the area. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This is a very straightforward hotel. Decent-sized rooms, good amenities. However, breakfast was supposed to offer a buffet but there was none. It took nearly 30 minutes just to order and get an omelette! Check-in was ok for me because I happened to arrive first, but the single desk clerk and long wait was quiite annoying for the 5 people that lined up after me. It's also a nearly $30 taxi ride into DC if you're not inclined to take the Metro. The only negative about the room was that there was someone else's hair all over the hair dryer - that was a bit gross

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear kadels_s,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our amenities.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding breakfast experience and room cleanliness. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

The staff is not trained properly, the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. The breakfast was terrible and overpriced. No complimentary coffee and you have to pay for wifi. The shuttle service was a joke, I had to pay for a cab my entire stay. the hotel is not close to King street, especially in the cold weather. Management does not care as I spoke with management regarding my issues upon my departure and they did nothing to remedy my bad experience. Would not stay here again or recommend to anyone I know!

• Stayed January 2013
I am sorry that your stay was not up to your expectations. Thank you for the feedback and we are going to address your concern with our associates. I am sorry that you had an issue with the our complimentary shuttle it does make scheduled trips to the airport every half hour on the hour and to Fairfax St and King Street every 10 after the hour and pick 10 til the hour on Fairfax and King St. Our intention at the Crowne Plaza is to make you feel as comfortable in our hotel. We do apologize for any inconveniences that you experienced.

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria? Share your experiences!