“Adore this hotel!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Kansas City, Missouri
“Adore this hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I absolutely love this hotel. There is an unlimited amount of things to do in walking distance. Bikes, trails, dining, king st, shopping .... unlimited!

Staff is always helpful. And it's always clean. Most hotels in my opinion could use a little updating in the bathrooms - but not everything can be brand new. I've never had a bad stay here!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Hotel S, Administrator at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for all the great comments we love the positive feedback. It is truly our pleasure to service our guests. I am glad to hear that are location worked out so well for you. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, hope you enjoyed the bicycles that we had available that are free to our guest to enjoy the area. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

407 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This is a very straightforward hotel. Decent-sized rooms, good amenities. However, breakfast was supposed to offer a buffet but there was none. It took nearly 30 minutes just to order and get an omelette! Check-in was ok for me because I happened to arrive first, but the single desk clerk and long wait was quiite annoying for the 5 people that lined up after me. It's also a nearly $30 taxi ride into DC if you're not inclined to take the Metro. The only negative about the room was that there was someone else's hair all over the hair dryer - that was a bit gross

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear kadels_s,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our amenities.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding breakfast experience and room cleanliness. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

The staff is not trained properly, the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. The breakfast was terrible and overpriced. No complimentary coffee and you have to pay for wifi. The shuttle service was a joke, I had to pay for a cab my entire stay. the hotel is not close to King street, especially in the cold weather. Management does not care as I spoke with management regarding my issues upon my departure and they did nothing to remedy my bad experience. Would not stay here again or recommend to anyone I know!

• Stayed January 2013
I am sorry that your stay was not up to your expectations. Thank you for the feedback and we are going to address your concern with our associates. I am sorry that you had an issue with the our complimentary shuttle it does make scheduled trips to the airport every half hour on the hour and to Fairfax St and King Street every 10 after the hour and pick 10 til the hour on Fairfax and King St. Our intention at the Crowne Plaza is to make you feel as comfortable in our hotel. We do apologize for any inconveniences that you experienced.
Charlottesville, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Have stayed at this establishment a few times. I can honestly say that despite the name and general location, this property chronically falls down on the job of meeting expectations. You don't come here expecting a Motel 6 experience.

The front desk is consistently inept -- whether taking initial reservations, dealing with housekeeping or room issues, or answering rather simple questions and/or providing local information. Either Crowne has bad systems, bad management, bad training -- or all three.

Also, I would second the comment about taking care of additional charges after the fact. This is one hotel I would not trust to leave without getting a FINAL bill.

The location is nice, near a small park where you can enjoy the waterfront. However, using "Old Town" in the name implies a location almost a mile to the South. You are not likely to walk to the real Old Town, though you certainly can.

And, while the neighborhood is nice enough, it is near absolutely nothing. Good for quiet, but requires a car to do anything.

Why they charge for parking is a complete mystery. Ditto WiFi service. Both are a necessity for the location and type of traveler -- they ought to be included in the price IMHO.

The rooms are adequate, but unimpressive.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hotel S, Administrator at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your lodging, we appreciate your feedback. We take a great deal of pride in our operation and are continually striving to achieve the highest levels of guest satisfaction. Encounters such as the ones you experienced deter from our overall objective and as such are of great concern to us. We would appreciate you contacting the hotel directly at your convenience to formerly address those issues you mentioned. Please contact our Executive Office administrator.
Waldorf, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I booked this room through priceline( I love naming my own price). I called after booking and asked if I could get a room on a high floor with a river view and I was accomadated with that and was very happy. The view was awesome fyi. NIce sized room, huge king size bed. I am not a fan of ANY hotel that tries to make you pay for WIFI, come on now, it's 2013, is it really hurting you to through in the wifi? As far as paying $20 for parking...Don't do it! If you stay the weekend, just park on the street for free. Overall, great stay. Oh and did I mention.... I paid $65 a night through priceline...beat that!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Murrieta, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

We thought this was a bit closer to King Street but it was a good 15-20 minute walk - about 8 blocks. Rooms are comfortable with nice linens. Parking was additional $20 but it's outside with no protection so seemed a bit high. Check in was fast and easy.

There was a bit of confusion on the deposit required for "incidentals" - they charged a very odd amount of $32.88 and this should have gone back on our card after several days as we had no incidentals. The $20 parking fee was charged in a different transaction. Upon returning home I noticed the deposit amount had actually cleared and charged to our card and not cancelled or credited back as promised. I called the hotel and was promised a call back. This did not happen. I finally sent an email which quickly resulted in a phone call from them saying they would look into it. No response as of yet so I finally had to dispute with my credit card company.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Malcolmsmom,

Thank you for submitting your review of our hotel. I certainly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. We take comments such as these seriously and would like to follow up with you. I have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Lera M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Valdosta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Stayed here on business. Staff friendly and helpful. Room was clean. Hotel has shuttle to and from Reagan airport, and to King St for shopping and restaurants. Quiet area and away from hustle and bustle but not too far to get to DC area attractions.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria? Share your experiences!