“Poor experience” 2 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #29 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
“Poor experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

The staff is not trained properly, the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. The breakfast was terrible and overpriced. No complimentary coffee and you have to pay for wifi. The shuttle service was a joke, I had to pay for a cab my entire stay. the hotel is not close to King street, especially in the cold weather. Management does not care as I spoke with management regarding my issues upon my departure and they did nothing to remedy my bad experience. Would not stay here again or recommend to anyone I know!

• Stayed January 2013
Hotel S, Administrator at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
I am sorry that your stay was not up to your expectations. Thank you for the feedback and we are going to address your concern with our associates. I am sorry that you had an issue with the our complimentary shuttle it does make scheduled trips to the airport every half hour on the hour and to Fairfax St and King Street every 10 after the hour and pick 10 til the hour on Fairfax and King St. Our intention at the Crowne Plaza is to make you feel as comfortable in our hotel. We do apologize for any inconveniences that you experienced.

398 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Charlottesville, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Have stayed at this establishment a few times. I can honestly say that despite the name and general location, this property chronically falls down on the job of meeting expectations. You don't come here expecting a Motel 6 experience.

The front desk is consistently inept -- whether taking initial reservations, dealing with housekeeping or room issues, or answering rather simple questions and/or providing local information. Either Crowne has bad systems, bad management, bad training -- or all three.

Also, I would second the comment about taking care of additional charges after the fact. This is one hotel I would not trust to leave without getting a FINAL bill.

The location is nice, near a small park where you can enjoy the waterfront. However, using "Old Town" in the name implies a location almost a mile to the South. You are not likely to walk to the real Old Town, though you certainly can.

And, while the neighborhood is nice enough, it is near absolutely nothing. Good for quiet, but requires a car to do anything.

Why they charge for parking is a complete mystery. Ditto WiFi service. Both are a necessity for the location and type of traveler -- they ought to be included in the price IMHO.

The rooms are adequate, but unimpressive.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hotel S, Administrator at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your lodging, we appreciate your feedback. We take a great deal of pride in our operation and are continually striving to achieve the highest levels of guest satisfaction. Encounters such as the ones you experienced deter from our overall objective and as such are of great concern to us. We would appreciate you contacting the hotel directly at your convenience to formerly address those issues you mentioned. Please contact our Executive Office administrator.
Waldorf, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I booked this room through priceline( I love naming my own price). I called after booking and asked if I could get a room on a high floor with a river view and I was accomadated with that and was very happy. The view was awesome fyi. NIce sized room, huge king size bed. I am not a fan of ANY hotel that tries to make you pay for WIFI, come on now, it's 2013, is it really hurting you to through in the wifi? As far as paying $20 for parking...Don't do it! If you stay the weekend, just park on the street for free. Overall, great stay. Oh and did I mention.... I paid $65 a night through priceline...beat that!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Murrieta, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

We thought this was a bit closer to King Street but it was a good 15-20 minute walk - about 8 blocks. Rooms are comfortable with nice linens. Parking was additional $20 but it's outside with no protection so seemed a bit high. Check in was fast and easy.

There was a bit of confusion on the deposit required for "incidentals" - they charged a very odd amount of $32.88 and this should have gone back on our card after several days as we had no incidentals. The $20 parking fee was charged in a different transaction. Upon returning home I noticed the deposit amount had actually cleared and charged to our card and not cancelled or credited back as promised. I called the hotel and was promised a call back. This did not happen. I finally sent an email which quickly resulted in a phone call from them saying they would look into it. No response as of yet so I finally had to dispute with my credit card company.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Malcolmsmom,

Thank you for submitting your review of our hotel. I certainly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. We take comments such as these seriously and would like to follow up with you. I have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Lera M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Valdosta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Stayed here on business. Staff friendly and helpful. Room was clean. Hotel has shuttle to and from Reagan airport, and to King St for shopping and restaurants. Quiet area and away from hustle and bustle but not too far to get to DC area attractions.

Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Not the best Crowne Plaza I have ever been to, but wonderful location to experience Old Town Arlington, which is worth the visit. The rooms are average, but very clean. The staff will go out of their way to accommodate you. I would without hesitation recommend or stay again.

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stayed here for five nights on business. The hotel and room itself were clean and well presented. Alexandria Old Town proper is about 15 minutes' walk south of here and the nearest Metro station (King Street) is around 30-40minutes' walk.
The location is a mix of good and bad, it's right on the shores of the Potomac and there's a pleasant promenade area along the waterfront with a view into the centre of Washington DC and the Capitol Building. However, the river is the approach for the National Airport so aircraft noise is noticeable (or was in my room) but not oppressive.
If you're going to regularly be using the Metro I would recommend staying somewhere slightly closer, that being said it is a pleasant walk through the suburbs and there is a shuttle bus.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the DC side, from the higher floors there will be a view to the Capitol.