“decent hotel but extra fees will keep me from returning” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #29 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“decent hotel but extra fees will keep me from returning”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Decent hotel, but the parking fees and internet fees for non rewards members will keep me from ever returning. Rooms are decent, check in was not the friendliest but others through the week were much friendlier. Also hotwire is not eligible for points on rewards card.

Room Tip: Beware of the paid parking and internet
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

404 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Hartland, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights and didn't have any problems at all. The staff was extremely friendly. They let us check in at 10:30 am, which was wonderful since we had driven all night. The rooms were clean and the view was great. I did notice a slight musty smell when we first got to our room, but I must have gotten used to it. Overall, it was a pleasant stay.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Orlando
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The first room I check into smells like someone used it as a public restroom. After switching to a clean room I cannot stay connected to the wifi as it turns on and off every few minutes. When it is working it struggles to even pull up googles homepage. I call the front desk about the Internet and they could care less. They have no idea why it's not working and when they transfer me to someone that can help I get hung up on. I give up on the Internet and go to take a shower and mid shower the water turns cold, freezing cold. This is one of the worst hotels to stay at in the area. There are plenty of better options for close to the same price. Do yourself a favor and book elsewhere, I can see a nice Sheraton nearby that I wish I had stayed at.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
merseyside
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We stayed at this hotel and were delighted with the accomodation, and with the wonderful view from the picture window from our room, of the Potomac. This is a great place to stay if you want to visit DC. They supply shuttles to Ronald Reagan Airport, where you can catch the metro into DC, and the shuttle picks you up on your return. They also run a shuttle service to the town which is just a delight. Such an assortment of shops and places to eat or just wonder around. The place Old Town Alexandria is the most immaculate place I have ever seen. Not a weed to be seen, not a blade of grass out of place and certainly not a sign of any paint peeling. Would recommend this place to anybody comtemplating a visit to DC.

Room Tip: get one with a view of the potomac and DC at night
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I've stayed here a few times, and have always been less than impressed.
The rooms themselves are nice, and some of them have nice views and refrigerators. The beds are comfortable, and the rooms seem clean. There is a lot of airplane noise, as the hotel is right on the landing and take off path from the airport.
Other than the rooms, the experience at this hotel is not that great. The front desk in inconsistent, sometimes they are helpful, and sometimes they could care less. They do not provide coffee on the weekends. WHAT?! Do I stop needing caffeine just because it is Saturday, no way!! I was so mad, because the coffee in the rooms is terrible. Also, I refuse to make coffee in the coffee pots at hotels, I have no idea if and when they have ever been cleaned. Housekeeping doesn't carry around dishsoap.... just sayin. On the weekdays they run out of coffee a lot and are not fast to refill it.
I have also tried the restaurant for dinner and breakfast. Both meals were so slow it was pathetic. Lets start with dinner. The prices are high and the food is poor. That makes for a very disappointing night. Forget about ordering alcohol unless of course you are on an expense account. The pours are small and again the prices high. Tip: There is a great Thai place around the corner from hotel :) The breakfast.... I'm not even sure what that was. We didn't get the buffet because I never eat enough to make the prices worth it. I ordered eggs. It took 45 minutes. I'm not exaggerating. And they were ice cold when they came out. Coffee was good though :/ There is a great diner a couple blocks away, I'll walk there from now on.
The fitness center is great. 3 Treadmills, 3 tvs, an elliptical, and 2 bikes I think. As well as free weights. Temperature controlled and lots of space.
If you need their van transportation, schedule your van at least 30 minutes prior to when you need it, the vans fill up in the mornings with airline crews, and they will leave you behind. Don't miss your flight because they are unprepared.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Barrie, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I have read some of the other reviews. The breakfast buffet is OK and you do have other selectiions rather the bacon and eggs. Usually people want to read the bad things so, I will high light the items that could be improved. There is a charge for internet.-Thats Bad(There is an internet cafe down the street though). No bar fridge in my room.(-I should have asked.) I had to wait over an hour for the shuttle bus at the airport(.-They must of filled up with crews first, Oh well.) There is no taxi stand so you need to wait anywhere from 10 to 25 minutes for a taxi at the hotel.(-Staff will call you one.)You can hear the jets as the hotel is adjacent their flight path.(-They can't improve their location, just be aware.) I don't want anyone to think I'm mean. This is a nice hotel, reasonably priced, with a friendly staff. I would not hesitate in reccommending it, but it does have a couple of Hiccups though ...

Room Tip: Not a room tip-The shuttle bus is white and has Holiday Inn and Crowne Plaza written on it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

My wife and I stayed here on 21 and 22 September as part of a Cosmos bus tour to Los Angeles. We had a large room with two huge and very comfortable beds, a flat screen TV and tea and coffee making facilities, with a small balcony and a nice view of the Potomac River. The hotel was very clean, has a spacious and quite impressive lobby area and plenty of parking. The wifi costs $9.95.
The nearby area is very quiet, with a few shops in the next block. The main street of Alexandria (worth a visit) is about eight blocks away. We bought return tickets on the public bus, but the bus we caught to return to the hotel was from a different company and didn't accept our return tickets.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria? Share your experiences!