““First time at a Crowne Plaza Hotel”” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 20%
Ranked #29 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Marietta, Georgia
““First time at a Crowne Plaza Hotel””
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Nice hotel. We were surprised at all the fees for parking, WIFI, and no breakfast included for with rate. I had trouble connecting to WIFI and the front desk wasn't very helpful. I had come down to front desk, a clerk helped, signed us with Priority Club, it helped with some fees. On our last night, we came back from dinner and found our door not shut, as if someone just left. Lucky for us, nothing was taken. Overall not bad.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

This hotel is perfectly located in Old Town Alexandria. Close enough to many eating establishments. The hotel shuttle provides free trips to the King Street for many restaurants and shops. To get to DC, you can either take a taxi, an 8 block walk to the nearest metro at Braddock or you could deal with the hotel shuttle which will take you to the further located metro station at the Ronald Reagan airport. We were pretty comfortable at this hotel. Pretty clean if a little bit worn and old. On our final day at the hotel, we forgot to leave a tip for the maid service. After a long day in DC, we walked into our room and at first I thought the maid service was not done but noticed our towels had been replaced and trash cans emptied and that was it!!! The bed cover had been thrown over the beds and not tucked, the comforter that we had tossed to the side was on the floor. The carpet was not vaccumed and there were no shampoo or conditioner bottles and the table was not wiped or cleaned up. I guess they enjoyed the tips we gave them and were pretty mad for not receiving their tip.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear nitpicky-traveler1,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am pleased that you found our location suitable enough for your needs. I am sorry that you encountered some issues with our housekeeping service. I will address this with the staff to ensure similar incidents won't happen again.

We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. Thank you again for your comments.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
East Brunswick, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We took a long weekend booking the Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria at the last minute. We were surprised it was available on Labor Day weekend,but it seems more likely it would be booked on weekdays, due to it's location to DC. We weren't sure what part of town was a better spot, but this hotel was easily found. We are priority club members, so we benefitted with a $5 discount to on premises parking. We also got a little goodie bag which is nice! The price for this hotel was very reasonable. Check in was easy with a very pleasant staff. Internet was also an additional charge, but it was credited as a priority member. The room was very clean and nice. We had a fridge & microwave. Bathroom was nice with good water pressure. Comfortable king bed. No complimentary breakfast, but a very nice restaurant in the hotel offers a breakfast buffet or regular options. The price added to what we paid for the room would equal other places offering "free" breakfast. Also, visitor center in town offers free parking pass if you are from out of the area. We had no problems finding parking on the streets. We would stay at the Crowne Plaza again, if we returned for a visit to Alexandria or even DC.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
J M, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments with us. We appreciate the opportunity to improve our guest experience based on your feedback.

First, let me thank you for being a member of our Priority Club Rewards program. We love to hear from our most loyal customers. We agree the hotel is a wonderful value here in the great town of Alexandria. Thank you again for choosing the Crowne Plaza.
Gainesville, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

The Crown Plaza is a good hotel. It is far from Old Town, it is a long walk or you need transportation. The complimentary shuttle to King Street/Old Town is convenient, but starts at 2:00 PM, so you have to plan your morning accordingly. They also have free airport shuttle.
They have fees for parking, WIFI, no breakfast included with the rate. Some of the staff are very nice and professional.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
J M, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments with us.

The Crowne Plaza is not located directly on King Street, it is eight blocks north in a quiet section of Old Town just steps from the Potomac River. When you stay with us again, If the shuttle is not available at your desired time, our guest service agents will be more than happy find a solution to your transportation needs. Also, as an alternative option, the hotel now offers complimentary bicycles for our guests. Thank you again for choosing the Crowne Plaza.
Midlothian, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012 via mobile

The joys of staying in a major city: parking fees, wifi fees, risky street parking and the list goes on. The hotel was nice, and we got a really nice deal. It was a quick one night stay. I didn't like all the fees. Some things should be complimentary. We took our chances and parked on the street. Thankfully, no parking ticket.

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments with us.

I am sorry you experienced an issue with our fees. If you book with us directly, we offer a variety of package which are inclusive of fees and offer amenities such as breakfast, parking, internet and even bonus rewards points. Please see our website for additional package options.

Thank you again for choosing the Crowne Plaza
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

The Crown Plaza is a decent hotel in Old Town. I appreciated the free airport shuttle. My business meeting was a block a way so that made for a convenient location. However, I arrived later in the evening and had a difficulty time finding a place to eat nearby past 10 pm. A nearby Japanese restaurant was recommended to me by the desk. It was delicious and I was able to get take out before they closed, but I later discovered their was an in house bar on the second floor that was open. I wish the desk staff had alerted me to this when I asked for a place to eat nearby that was open.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
winchester, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I booked a small group at this property and we were pleased overall. If you get a package that includes breakfast, it's a great value. Cooked to order waffles, omlettes and also a nice selection of fresh fruit, blintzes, eggs, sausage, bacon and other options are on the buffet. The room was really huge and the beg was quite comfortable. I didn't hear any of my neighbors so the soundproofing must have been quite good. As others have said, this hotel is a great choice if you want to avoid the high DC costs. Their shuttle takes you to DC National airport where you can pick up the Metro into the District. Old Town Alexandria is about 10 block away and again the hotel will shuttle you down if you prefer.
My only complaint was that one day my room key malfunctioned 8 times....everyone else was taking the 30 minute break to relax and regroup while I was taking the elevator up and down and up and down. The next day it happened 4 times with no apologies. I was so upset that I asked the two desk clerks why no apololgy or concern. They replied "the batteries must be bad on the door unit". I'm thinking well fix it! The Sales Manager overheard me and she apologized and offered me additional bonus points in their frequent guest program. That was very sweet of her but still I wish they would just fix the problem. I heard several other folks experiencing the same problem. Such a shame that something so easily fixable could put such a damper on my stay.
Great facilities but needs some TLC from the Engineering Department!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your comments with us.

I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay. We appreciate the notes about the oversize guest rooms and our chef will love to hear your comments on our breakfast buffet.

I am very sorry you had difficulty with our key system. We recently installed brand new locks on every door in the hotel. Due to the unfamiliarity of the system, we may not have been able to fix your problem as fast as we should have. That is not the level of service we strive to provide here at the Crowne Plaza. I am very sorry. I can assure you if you choose the Crowne Plaza again, we will do everything in our power to make sure you have a great experience.

Thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza.

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria? Share your experiences!