“Nowhere near what I expect” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30% this Summer
Ranked #34 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nowhere near what I expect”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

To put this review in context, I am a Platinum Priority Club member, with over 360,000 points. I travel a lot, and I stay at the Holiday Inn/Crowne Plaza chain a lot. I don't think my expectations are unreasonable.

I've been traveling to the Washington DC area once or twice a month on business for about three years, and I tend to stay in Alexandria because it's close to my major business partners.

When I first started going to Washington DC, I thought this Crowne Plaza might be my hotel of choice: good location, nice view, decent rooms. But it turned out that on literally every visit I had to make a special trip down to the front desk at least once a day to get me electronic key re-magnetized. No matter how far I kept the key away from anything that could affect it, it lost its magic at least once a day. After a while that got old, and a year or so ago I stopped staying here.

Due to a mistake in scheduling on my part, I recently ended up staying here once again, and I was equally disappointed once again.

I tend to get up very early, and I really enjoy starting the day with an espresso-laden Starbucks latte. Typically I am up before a Starbucks is open, so typically I buy one the night before and microwave it in the morning.

Well, my room at the Crowne Plaza did not have a microwave. It had a refrigerator and other amenities, but no microwave. I went down to the front desk to ask about this. The manager informed me that they don't have enough microwaves for every room, so they move them around. I asked if he would mind trying to locate one for me, and he said he would. He also said that in the event none were available, I could come down in the morning and use the one at the front desk.

I went back to my room, and a while later tried to call the front desk with an question about the Internet. The phone did not work. Neither the internal nor the external circuits would take a call.

As luck would have it, as I was trying to call the front desk, the manager called me to make sure he had the right room number just in case they found a microwave. I gave him my room number, and that was the last I heard about the microwave. I never got one.

I woke up at about 4:30 am, and went down to the front desk with my cold coffee in hand. But when I got there, the desk clerk informed me that the microwave at the front desk was broken. I repeated my story of the night before, and he just shrugged his shoulders.

And so I sat looking out at the beautiful river view, drinking my ice cold coffee as the day began.

Again, my fault for bad scheduling. I will do my very, very best to make sure I don't end up staying here again on future trips.

Room Tip: For business travels and Priority Club members, book early and stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Parking Should be free...but nice and very clean many of the TV channels were snowy and not many channel options, the bathroom was nice... the Lobby is very stylish and staff were very nice...Sleeping on the bed, made me feel like I was in Heaven!!!

Room Tip: Parking should be free, Compl shuttle to Washington National Airport..lots of airline employees stay...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

A dear friend got married around the corner from here and for some reason the reception dinner was 3 hours after the ceremony, I booked here for the convenience and had nowhere to hang out until. Since I had no expectations of being in one of their properties, I was very surprised at the level of service and the room I was in. Granted it was a one nighter but damn was it better than anticipated. The view was great from the 11th floor and my laptop hooked up to the TV was seamless and entertained the wedding party after the ceremony. Planning my return already.

Room Tip: Ask for the higher floors for the view
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
West Chester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

This is a nice place within walking distance of Old Town. Plenty of parking, nice lobby, efficient & fast check-in. Pricing was reasonable compared to other Old Town hotels. The room had all the amenities I need such as good working desk, hot shower, etc. Unfortunately, like days of old, there is a healthy charge to use the wireless internet - $9.95 per day; I did not use it.

Bigger problem is the walls, door & windows are paper-thin. I forgot to set my heater fan on high, so even on the 10th floor I heard street noise and hallway noise starting at 5 AM. Does not make for a good sleep.

Room Tip: Be sure to set your heater or AC fan on high, take it off auto. Make sure the switch on the side is...
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

As a Crowne Plaza this hotel could use renovation. And charging for parking when the lot is empty seems odd. That said, our experience was wonderful. The free shuttle to King Street is welcome, the breakfast was very good and the upgrade to the Eleanor Roosevelt was exceptional. We were delighted with the experience with the minor exception of the parking fee. Good value and wonderful experience.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012 via mobile

This is one of my least favorite hotels. For a 'Crowne Plaza' this hotel lacks many basic requirements even a motel has; for example proper plumbing in the bathrooms. I've stayed at many many many rooms in this hotel and just about every bathroom sink is clogged!!!

• Stayed May 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
Dear F35Captain,

Thank you for your feedback. We're sorry you were not fully satisfied with the accommodations received. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

But this hotel does. $10 for 24 hours, on top of the $190 room charge. Very slow check-in. Rooms are comfortable and with a great view along the Potomac. But when the breakfast menu says "fresh-squeezed orange juice," they must mean that someone squeezed the jug just before pouring it out. The croissants are also inedible.

Dear travelingwriter1,

Thank you for your recent stay and leaving feedback. We are pleased you liked your room accommodations. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We're sorry you were not fully satisfied with the breakfast options as well as our internet charges. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Jaime W