“Sunday Brunch at Crown Plaza Old Town” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30% this Summer
Ranked #34 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Alexandria
“Sunday Brunch at Crown Plaza Old Town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

Food was excellent. Great selection and choice of breakfast foods.
Clean, bright and great service. Was served by a waitress named Senait
who was very efficient and friendly. Try it, you will like it.
Randy McDonald

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

I often stay at the Crown Plaza Old Town and the morning restaurant manager Nancy is always a pleasant face and insures excellent service. She often goes out of her way to insure that each guest is taken care of.

Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

I recently returned to work after maternity leave and attended a conference at the Crowne Plaza Old Town Alexandria. I was concerned about finding a private place to pump breastmilk during my day-long conference, so I called the hotel the night before and Fernando at the front desk suggested I ask the banquet manager upon arrival if I could use an unoccuppied banquet room. When I arrived at the hotel the next morning, I first asked an unhelpful lady at the front desk where I could pump, and she told me there was no private place to do this. (Really? In the entire HOTEL? Not helpful.) Upon hearing her response and seeing my stress, the manager Sonya quickly stepped in and offered to walk me around the area near my conference room to check out the options. I told her I just needed a private place with an outlet and a chair to sit on. She knew the bathroom and the banquet room wouldn't be optimal, so she kindly (and humanely) told me to come find her when I needed to pump and she would have a key to a vacant guest room ready for me. Sonya was extremely helpful, considerate and sympathetic to my situation. Her kindess and superior customer service put my mind at ease, and allowed me to stop worrying about where I was going to pump without someone walking in on me! She definitely took the extra effort to problem solve my unique situation and I am very grateful she was at the front desk when I arrived. THANK YOU SONYA!!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
herreh, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, March 6, 2012
Dear TheBostonK
I thank you the comments regarding your stay with us and the compliments regarding Sonya our Guest Services Manager. Sonya took the department over as department head two weeks ago and good things are happening.
I thank you for staying with us, and if your travels bring you to our area, I hope you will stay with us.
Hubert Herre
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

Have stayed at the Crowne Plaza Old Town several times for business and liked it so much our family has used it as a base for a couple of vacations. Big plusses are the free shuttles--one to Reagan National and the Metro station and one to King Street. It's a pleasant 8 block walk through Old Town to the King St action and the path along the Potomac is only a block away. Rooms are large and quiet and the Priority Club benefits are very nice--vouchers for drinks and breakfasts, etc. The reinvented pub is fun, good app's and a rotating selection of microbrews. Within a block or so are Japanese, Italian, French and Thai dining options. True it's not right on King St, but the shuttles make that a non-issue and the location is much quieter.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor facing north. The view up the Potomac to the Capitol is superb.
Hoboken, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

I recently spent 2 days here over the President's Day holiday and was impressed by the cleanliness of the hotel and the great customer service that I had received. In addition, Priority Club Platinum members are treated very well here as I received 2 complimentary vouchers for the full breakfast buffet based upon my status as my rate did not come with this perk. In addition, I was upgraded to a spacious King room with a view of the Potomac and the Capitol building in the distance.

As others have noted, this hotel is not right in downtown but about 8 blocks away -- approx. 15 - 20 mins walking time through a safe neighborhood. Others have written that there are closer hotels than this one and this is simply not true. There is only 1 hotel in the downtown area -- the Monaco hotel which is part of the Kimpton chain -- and which is at least twice the price of the Crowne Plaza. All the other hotels, be they the Sheraton, the sister property Holiday Inn or the hotels near Duke street on the north end of town, such as both Residence Inn properties, the Westin, etc. are about the same amount of walking time to the downtown area, as is the Crowne Plaza. Just do a Google walking search to verify what I have written.

In addition, I had occasion to speak to the General Manager about this property and he advised that as part of this hotel meeting the new brand standard set forth by Crowne Plaza, the hotel will be updating its linens to a higher thread count, as well as issuing larger King size pillows for the beds. This changeover will take place no later than January 2013.

The hotel is also very green friendly as they have limiters on the amount of water used when you take a shower and flush the toilet. Some may not be happy with this conscientous decision, but one should get used to it as this is the direction that many hotels and municiplaities are adopting to make a less impact on our environment. Thus, one should just use common sense when using these items.

The customer service at this hotel is excellent and I should know as I left certain items in the drawers before I left, and unlike reports from other hotels, the chambermaids not only found those items but bagged them up for me and they were readily found when I called to report my error. The hotel sent them to me via FedEx and I received them within one day of my reporting them missing.

Having stayed at the Westin before, I can honestly state that one can recieve a room that with the future changes discussed above, will better compete with that hotel's offerings at a fraction of its price point.

My rate you ask? I booked a fully refundable AAA rate of $72.00, for both nights. Beat that Sheraton, Westin, Marriott, or Hilton!

Room Tip: Ask for a complimentary upgrade to a Potomac view room -- you may just receive it if the hotel is no...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Titusville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

After traveling all day and arriving tired, we were greeted warmly and enthusiastically by Getenesh and Nasra at the front desk. You only get one chance to make a good first impression, and they were awesome! The room was large and clean, and the view of the Potomic was exceptional. Very nice lounge and restaurant on second floor. Excellent breakfast buffet! Shuttle service to Old Town. A great place to stay that will be our new "first choice" in Alexandria.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
London UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

I stayed for 3 weeks on a business trip and was looked after very well by all staff. Great location, 8 blocks (10 min walk) to King Street, 10 minutes by free shuttle to DCA. Enjoyed my stay and will be back!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business