“Terrible service, rudest manager ever” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #30 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
Australia
“Terrible service, rudest manager ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

My husband and I, together with out 2 friends stayed for 3 nights at the hotel in June.
The room was good, clean and nice. However, the service was horrible.

One afternoon we left the room late (12pm) after a sleep in and came back to find that the room had not been cleaned at all. We buzzed reception and were told that the rooms only got cleaned once a day and we had missed it so too bad.

Unsatisfied with this answer, we went down to the front desk to clarify what was going on. The manager on duty was the rudest I'd ever had to displeasure of dealing with. She repeated that it was our fault that the room had not been made up.
Halfway through our conversation with her, she went off without warning and served another customer and left us hanging for a good 15 minutes. After that she refused to talk to us and was just downright rude.

I am very disappointed in the level of service at this internationally known hotel chain.
I would never recommend anyone stay there. It completely ruined our trip to DC.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

I recently had to book a 3 day stay in Alexandria VA to help my daughter whose home was damaged in the flooding that occured a week before as a result of Hurracaine Irene. She was evacuated from her home amid substantial flooding and the next day went to the hospital. Following the premature birth of her son, she was released but had no place to return until repairs could be completed on her residence. I flew up to Alexandria to help with the transition, home repairs, shopping and the host of other activities to allow her to rest and take care of her baby.
Unfortunately, because of several conventions and tours occuring during that week I could not find a room anywhere near Alexandria. The best I could do was book a one night stay in the Crowne Plaza for the first day of my visit.
Once checked in, I had three hotel chain loyalty clubs to which I belonged trying to find suitable accommodations for the duration of my stay, all of them, save the IHG chain Priority club just shrugged their shoulders and offered a statement of good luck. Not the Crowne Plaza. Their manager, Rachad Kottir would not be detered and indeed found a room for me on a night by night basis that allowed me to provide continued, unfettered support to my family. Moreover, she arranged complimentary breakfast each day of my stay.
The Crowne Plaza team was fantastic; from the valet, the restaurant and housekeeping staff, to the front desk.
What I appreciated most was her ardent and sincere desire to fix the problem and she would not rest until she did. On the last day of my stay, temporarily without a hotel room, while I was in the super market shopping for my daughter to restock what had been lost in the flood, Rachad called me and asked if I could stop by and check into the room she found to complete my stay.
It is this kind of customer service that separates the Crowne Plaza from the others.
I travel to Washington DC on business about twice a month and stay routinely at two other chains along with the Crowne Plaza. No longer.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

My wife and I stayed her in July 2011 and found it to be a good standard of hotel. Staff were welcoming, friendly and helpful.
I read in other reviews about aircraft noise, never heard a thing. Our room overlooked the car park and I was worried about car doors banging, but slept like a log – big bed and firm mattress. Room was spacious, dark wood and good quality tv (that's just the tv, not the programmes!!!)
We'd overdone the museums the previous day in Washington, and just wanted a day to chill, so it was a nice touch to have a shuttle bus to take us down in to Alexandria where we walked around, had a Starbucks, sat on benches, and just got a feel of the place. (Liked the Baptist Church car park sign included here.)
Back to the hotel to try out the bar, which was surprisingly quiet. (Is that because it was summer?)
Ate out both nights, once in Alexandria and once at the Italian across the road.
Ticked all the boxes for me as a stopover hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
McHenry, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

Spent one night here for a business meeting nearby the next morning. Slept fine until 6 am when the air traffic started at Reagan, after that room was extremely noisy. Soon after the ice machine came into use and added to the noise level.
Entering the room is very confusing: there are two lights on the door. When you swipe your keycard, one or both light up. The green light always lights, even if the card doesn’t read. If the red one lights up, you can enter.
Normal sized hotel room with a flatscreen TV, coffee pot, smoke detector, and sprinkler. Desk includes a chair, lamp, telephone, and wireless internet ($9.95/day). My room had two double beds but no easy chair, no refrigerator, no microwave.
Bathroom includes a sink, bathtub, and toilet all behind the same door, and a hairdryer. Closet included an iron and an ironing board.
There’s a wonderful bagel/breakfast restaurant kitty-corner from the hotel. The hotel has a small but capable bar. The restaurant is open until 11pm but I did not have an opportunity to try it.
Overall is decent hotel if you have a nearby meeting and need to get up at 6am anyway. Otherwise stay downtown or at the Holiday Inn a couple of blocks away.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

i stayed here the 16th and 17th of Sept,,, very lovely inside,, the staff was most helpful, they have a very nice Buffet breakfast in the morning,, for lunch and dinner they have a real nice bar/restaurant,, which has happy from 4pm to 7pm.. prices in there are very reasonable
my room which was on the 6th floor looked out over the water and you could constantly watch the planes coming into Regan National. they have a shuttle to the airport but not to the train station,, so if you go down there by train,, be ready for a cab ride that costs a bit over $7.00. and dont try getting a cab the way you do in baltimore or New York,, they wont stop that way,, you have to get over to the train station and buses will get you there if your out and about and then you catch a cab and go back up town,, that was a bit odd but not that bad,, Alexandria has great shops and eateries.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
McKinney, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

We were in town for a family wedding, and the reception was going to be at the Crowne Plaza, so we decided to stay here. I was a little hesitant because of some of the reviews that I had read here, but we were pleasantly surprised.

Before our arrival, I had to call to change our reservation (add a day before and take away a day at the end). The person I spoke to was very short and unfriendly. However, she got it done, and I was happy enough.

Shuttle: They have a shuttle that goes from the hotel to the airport and back. It is very convenient as the DC Metro has a stop at the airport. So for a couple of days, we took advantage of the shuttle to get us to the Metro to visit DC. The only problem is that since the CP at Old Alexandria is so convenient, there are also a LOT of airline crew that stay there. If you are at the airport waiting for the shuttle, there are a couple of drivers who show preference to the airline personnel. One afternoon, we had been waiting longer, but when the shuttle arrived, some flight attendants ran out of the building and were served first. Some people who had been waiting (arrived after us but before the attendants) were told to wait for the next shuttle because there was no longer room on this one. So that's where I take the fifth star away.

Reception/Staff: All of the staff I encountered within the hotel was very nice. We arrived quite early (noon), but since they had a room available, they let us in. We had joined their reward program prior to leaving Dallas, so when we arrived, we were given a little goodie bag including bottled water, bag of popcorn and some other little things. They also let us know that we would enjoy free wifi as part of the program. So join if you plan on staying at a Crowne Plaza!

Room: Our room was great. Even though it's an older hotel, our room was clean and mold/grossness-free. The only problem with the room was that we had no refrigerator or microwave. I didn't think anything of it until I saw in my cousins' rooms that they had them. We all had the same type of room, but some rooms just don't get them. So if it's important to you, ask for one when you check in. When we got into our room, we had a nice little bag of lavender linen spray, earplugs and eye mask waiting for us. Nice touch. As part of a wedding group, we also enjoyed free parking throughout our stay.

Fitness Room:This was very nice. The room on the 2nd floor had treadmills, elliptical machines and weight machines. There were towels, water, and free weights as well. The air was cold, so it made running much more pleasant. Behind the hotel is a trail that goes for miles.

Area/Location: We were very close to King Street where you can find lots of bars, restaurants and shops. Right across the street are some tennis courts, a nail salon and a great breakfast place. A little further down is a cool Italian shop and a Thai place. Around a few corners is a grocery store. You can go for a quick drive and find shopping and restaurants. If you drive towards the highway, though, you encounter an area that isn't so nice. It's like one minute you are in a very seemingly safe area, then you cross the street, and there is trash on the sidewalks, unkept lawns and shady people hanging out at night. But right around the hotel, it's perfectly fine.

Overall, we enjoyed ourselves. The wedding reception turned out great. The food there was awesome, so if that is anything close to what you'd get in the hotel, then that's good news. We'd stay here again if we were to come to DC again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a refrigerator and microwave if you want them. Not all rooms have it.