“Lovely Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Lovely Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

Stayed here at the start of a long journey across America and enjoyed the facilities very much. Comfortable and ideal for tourists at a reasonable level.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
herreh, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, August 4, 2011
Thank you for staying with us and I hope you had a great trip and many pleasant experiences in your trip accross our country. I am glad you enjoyed our hotel and hope you will stay with us again when the opportunity arises.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011

This Crowne Plaza is a cross between a motel and hotel. Seven stories high, it has a huge parking lot over which my room had a direct view. There may be rooms with a more attractive view. Good features: large room, good bed, good pillows, excellent temperature control, good bathroom with tub/shower, large screen tv. Coffee in room was surprisingly good - a B+, I'd say - I'm a coffee fanatic, so that's a good rating from me. Mini-van shuttle to airport takes about 10 minutes, runs on the hour and on the half-hour, makes only one other hotel stop en route. Elevators are surprisingly sufficient - hardly ever a wait of more than a minute. Quiet at night - not a partying kind of clientele. Minuses: Lacking: safe; mini-bar; small frig. No pool, alas. Broken: outlet for clock radio. Didn't complain since only there for 2 nights and had my own alarm. Outlets: a few, adequate for my three devices, but maybe not for a highly tech-carrying person.

The restaurant is ok for casual lunch/dinner. Food is pleasant. There's also a sportsbar. Didn't try breakfast, because the conference I was at provided that; however, it was catered by the hotel, and the quality and variety (including eggs, bagels, lots of fruit) was excellent. I liked the conference facilities a lot: the chairs were comfortable and the acoustics excellent, so the lack of a mike for speakers wasn't a problem. Also, since the hotel is small, it's not necessary to run a mile between the room and the conference facilities as it is well laid out. Conference bathrooms are clean and well-supplied with necessities. As you will accurately guess, I go to lots of conferences where these issues, if not well done, can ruin the event. Especially the acoustics!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
herreh, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, June 17, 2011
I am sorry that your room did not have a view of the Capitol or the river as some of the rooms on the upper floors have and that you had some difficulties with the outlet. I asked housekeeping to test all otlets to ensure that proper connectivity exist.
Also, we are in the process of getting refridgerators and micro wave ovens for all guest rooms and the project should be completed by the end of September.
Thank you for your compliments about the food quality you experienced. We are proud of our food quality and our Executive Chef who is a Culinary Institute of America (CIA) Certified Executive Chef. The quality and selection of food and beverage in our restaurant the "Rail Stop Gastro Pub" shows his creativity and culinary skills.
Thank you for your comments and I hope if you return to Alexandria you wil again stay with us.
VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

Stayed at this Crowne Plaza for the second time. The gentle man checked me in with free upgrades due to my status as a Priority Club Platinum member. We asked for microwave and the front desk was willing to deliver it to my room, but my wife declined the offer. We only spent one Saturday night there. The best part of this stay is the recreation opportunity by the river, in addition to the free upgrades (including breakfast). We did not use other facilities.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
herreh, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, May 31, 2011
Thank for staying with us for the second time. You are correct, the location is perfect with most rooms offering a great view of the Potomac river and the rooms on the upper floors facing north also have a view of DC.
For the physically active we aso have great choices for Biking, Jogging, Walking and Tennis.
Besides the George Washington Bike Path that runs from Mount Vernan Estates to Roosevelt Island and streches for 18 miles and passes behind the hotel, right accross the hotel is Montgomery park featuring 4 Tennis Courts that are open to the public. (First come first serve basis). The hotel provides rackets and balls.
Again thank you for staying with us.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for the Easter weekend. This hotel was booked pursuant to a bid on Priceline, but I have to say that had a payed asking price, I would have been REALLY upset....

The positives - the room was spacious and nicely decorated. The bed was very comfortable. The hotel in general was clean. Unfortunately, there were alot of negatives.

1. Despite the fact that this hotel is not in downtown Old Town (about 10 blocks away) or that close the airport, they make you pay $20 a night for parking. Word to the wise, if you are there on a weekend, you WILL be able to find parking on Sunday on the street;

2. The room did NOT have a refrigerator;

3. The door closest to the parking garage, like many hotels, gets locked at night. Despite the sign that informs you to use your room key during those evening and night hours, mine did not work. When I went to the desk to inform them, the clerk looked at me like I was the idiot, gave a little attitude and said "Room keys don't work on that door." When I asked about ths sign, all I got was more attitude;

4. There is a gym, but the equipment is severely outdated - most of the functions on the eliptical and treadmill did not work.

There are so many other hotels in Old Towne with similar prices that are SO much better.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

We stayed here with two children. The hotel staff were friendly, however not the most helpful. Hotel was a good value for the money during April school vacation. There is a parking fee of $20.00 per day in addition to hotel price. Complimentary Wi-fi is available in downstairs lobby. In individual rooms they charge an additional $9.95 per day. No fridge or microwave in rooms. Those items also available for additional charge. There is a restaurant on second floor which was kind of pricey. The rooms were very clean and hotel is situated in a very safe area. There is a big supermarket within a few minutes walk. They had a shuttle to Reagan airport every half hour on the hour. You just take that, and hop on metro to DC, Dupont Circle, Georgetown etc...very very easy. We stayed 3 nights and we each bought a metro pass and put $20.00 on the card, and that was plenty to get us all around DC for the 3 days. The hotel is located in Alexandria and Old Towne is a complimentary 5 min.shuttle bus ride away. Great shops and restaurants. Very pet friendly town as is most of DC with water bowls available in front of every store. If your looking to save a little money this is one of the places I would recommend.

Room Tip: If you book through expedia it will be cheaper
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Tidewater, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011

We stayed here for a long spring break weekend to hit a few more museums with the kids. This is really too far from the metro, especially after a long day walking all over DC with two kids, but they have a shuttle. When we checked in, the hotel was on generator power only, but that was corrected quickly enough, and made the fact that another family walked into our room with their luggage totally understandable. The staff was pleasant, the rooms were very clean (and kept that way) and we were pleased. I would definitely return if I didn't need the metro.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
herreh, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, May 26, 2011
The powercut certainly made life difficult for a while and I thank you for your understanding during the difficult time and apologize for the problems it caused you. We are fortunate that two years ago we installed an additional Emegency Power Generator that enabled us to keep one elevator running.
Thank you for staying with us, I appreciate your business.
Hubert Herre
Douglas, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

I was bumped and the airline booked me into this hotel. The staff were helpful in person, but not so much on the phone (see experience below). The hotel location is not great, it was too far to walk to the Metro or Old Town in the cold weather. And for Priority Club members, they did give a couple of snacks, but there is no free internet or breakfast, which is usually included for all in budget hotels and for gold elite members in nicer hotels.

Check-in was pretty smooth, and the room was fine, but when I went to take a nap I realized that the sheets were dirty. I called down and asked for someone to change the sheets. Twenty minutes later, with no response, I called again and asked to switch rooms, and they assured me that housekeeping was on their way. After waiting another ten minutes, I was finally able to talk to the front desk manager and he was very helpful, even bringing me the key so I wouldn't have to come downstairs

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria? Share your experiences!