“Safe & Clean Good Value” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #29 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Providence, Rhode Island
“Safe & Clean Good Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

We stayed here with two children. The hotel staff were friendly, however not the most helpful. Hotel was a good value for the money during April school vacation. There is a parking fee of $20.00 per day in addition to hotel price. Complimentary Wi-fi is available in downstairs lobby. In individual rooms they charge an additional $9.95 per day. No fridge or microwave in rooms. Those items also available for additional charge. There is a restaurant on second floor which was kind of pricey. The rooms were very clean and hotel is situated in a very safe area. There is a big supermarket within a few minutes walk. They had a shuttle to Reagan airport every half hour on the hour. You just take that, and hop on metro to DC, Dupont Circle, Georgetown etc...very very easy. We stayed 3 nights and we each bought a metro pass and put $20.00 on the card, and that was plenty to get us all around DC for the 3 days. The hotel is located in Alexandria and Old Towne is a complimentary 5 min.shuttle bus ride away. Great shops and restaurants. Very pet friendly town as is most of DC with water bowls available in front of every store. If your looking to save a little money this is one of the places I would recommend.

Room Tip: If you book through expedia it will be cheaper
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Tidewater, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011

We stayed here for a long spring break weekend to hit a few more museums with the kids. This is really too far from the metro, especially after a long day walking all over DC with two kids, but they have a shuttle. When we checked in, the hotel was on generator power only, but that was corrected quickly enough, and made the fact that another family walked into our room with their luggage totally understandable. The staff was pleasant, the rooms were very clean (and kept that way) and we were pleased. I would definitely return if I didn't need the metro.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
herreh, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, May 26, 2011
The powercut certainly made life difficult for a while and I thank you for your understanding during the difficult time and apologize for the problems it caused you. We are fortunate that two years ago we installed an additional Emegency Power Generator that enabled us to keep one elevator running.
Thank you for staying with us, I appreciate your business.
Hubert Herre
Douglas, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

I was bumped and the airline booked me into this hotel. The staff were helpful in person, but not so much on the phone (see experience below). The hotel location is not great, it was too far to walk to the Metro or Old Town in the cold weather. And for Priority Club members, they did give a couple of snacks, but there is no free internet or breakfast, which is usually included for all in budget hotels and for gold elite members in nicer hotels.

Check-in was pretty smooth, and the room was fine, but when I went to take a nap I realized that the sheets were dirty. I called down and asked for someone to change the sheets. Twenty minutes later, with no response, I called again and asked to switch rooms, and they assured me that housekeeping was on their way. After waiting another ten minutes, I was finally able to talk to the front desk manager and he was very helpful, even bringing me the key so I wouldn't have to come downstairs

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Warren, MI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2010

While my room this Crowne Plaza was satisfactory the uncaring and downright mean personalities of the front desk staff really turned me off of this property.

Check in was handled quickly and quietly. The attendant while not unfriendly definately didn't go out of her way to make me feel welcomed in any way. I was assigned a room on the 9th floor.

The public areas, lobby and hallways leading to the rooms were all tastefully decorated and clean.

My room wasn't bad at all. There was a nice chair, ottoman, flat screen tv provided in the room. The bathroom was clean and nice. Finding hot water for either the sink or the shower easily took the better part of five minutes to arrive.

That evening the room became overpowered on three seperate occasions by the smell of Indian food. The overbearing smell of curry and garlic was so strong i called the front desk to see if they knew why or if they could offer any help. The surly obnoxious front desk attendant met my explanation with a "i can't control what types of food other guests bring into their rooms. Not i'm VERY busy at the moment" and hung up on me. Really great customer service you're offering there Crowne Plaza management!

The high speed internet became another hassle. When connecting to the wireless which was supplied by Ibahn there was an option for "wireless lobby" which i selected. The Ibahn log in screen came up with a "24 hr free" option which i selected. I entered my room number and name and high speed surfing i went.

Upon checking the folio slipped under my door in the morning i noticed both the absurd (but i was warned so was expecting it) $20.00 parking charge along with a $9.95 internet charge. I never buy internet service from hotels. When free internet access isn't offered i simply use my VZ card. When i went downstairs to have the internet charge removed from my bill i was met by the meanest older lady who spoke with an accent so strong that i could barely understand what she was trying to say to me. After a 10 minute knock-em-out drag-em-out battle with the horrible creature and after threatening to dispute the charge Helga the wonderb____ finally caved and removed the charge.

I value being treated with kindness and respect while travelling and while i would judge the room quality acceptable the nasty, rude, incompetent staff really prevents me from recommending this property.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Warsaw, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2010

I was there for a wedding ceremony so that we have discounted fares. The hotel is situated in Alexandria just facing the Potomac River. The rail staion is located ca 1km from the hotel from where you can get to the washingotn. from hotel there is also a shuttle bus to DCA Airport. The rooms are nice and large, there was a cable internet. Large breakfast buffet

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2010

While the hotel itself is fine, the customer service is sub-par, and the hotel is located a mile from the nearest metro, with no restaurants, stores, etc. nearby.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
pittsburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2010

Hotel is a little ragged. Staff was helpful but somewhat indifferent. Restaurant was just OK. Parking is $20.00 a night and the internet is only free in the lobby.

They have a shuttle to the Reagan airport Metro station, but, their van is small and when it's busy you may have to wait until it returns . A cab ride to the local Metro station is $6.00. If you are planning to be in DC a lot, then you might want to find a hotel closer to the Metro in Alexandria.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Been to Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria? Share your experiences!