“We felt like the most important guests!” 5 of 5 stars

Book Now and SAVE!
Ranked #6 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Baltimore
“We felt like the most important guests!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2009

I booked The Morrison House to surprise my boyfriend with a romantic night for Valentine's Day. I chose it because it looked like the most inviting hotel in Old Alexandria Virginia and because I thought the rate was great. I couldn't have been more right.

When we arrived, I was delighted by the way the valet greeted us as we pulled up in our old clunker car. He acted like we were old friends of the management. Then we got to the front desk and we were treated the same way. The woman at the desk used my name immediately and acted like she was excited that we had finally arrived. Every staff member treated us this way.

The room was perfect for romance. It was beautifully decorated and they had fabulous animal print robes and a lovely two poster bed with steps to get up to the luxurious linens. Instead of going out to dinner as we had planned for Valentine's Day, we decided to order room service and stay in our room!

The room had everything we wanted: a cozy bed, a flat screen TV, internet access, fluffy towels, and the L'Occitane bath products made the whole room smell nice.

If we had stayed longer, we definitely would have taken advantage of the hotel's library of books and enjoyed the sitting room to relax and read.

We had a delicious brunch at the hotel's restaurant, The Grille. Once again, the entire staff made us feel so welcome and important.

Our Queen room was a little small, but cozy. Next time we will stay in the larger King room.

Oh, and did I mention the refreshing shower? I should also say that I am a clean freak, and everything was spotless and met my high standards of cleanliness.

On our way home we couldn't stop talking about how much we enjoyed the extra amenities and the treatment we received from the staff at such a great price. We will definitely be back.

• Liked — The extra amenities, the star treatment, and the location--we were right in the heart of Old Alexandria
  • Disliked — Our Queen room was a little small and our view wasn't great.
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2009
Dear Diana in Baltimore,

As General Manager of the Morrison House I wanted to write to thank you for the comments you provided regarding your recent experience at our property. It sounds like you truly enjoyed yourself while visiting our home.

I was thrilled to hear how welcoming and responsive our staff was during your stay. I agree they are a very special group of people and the major reason for our success. I think it was a great idea to spend your visit relaxing in your room; our recent renovation to the property has made our product much more inviting to our guests to enjoy.

Thank you again for your comments and we’re looking forward to seeing you again soon. If there’s any assistance I may provide in ensuring the Morrison House remains your hotel of choice whenever you’re in Alexandria please don’t hesitate in contacting me directly.

p.s. I’m sorry you didn’t get a chance to spend time in our Library; it’s a wonderful place to relax and read a book. We also permit our guests to leave and take books as they like. You’re also invited to review our staff selected Book of the Month that we feature there; if you have a good suggestion for next month’s book, don’t hesitate in giving me a call.

robert.hannigan@morrisonhouse.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
New Castle, DE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

We were met by Jose, the nicest, most professional and kind butler we have ever met. I truly felt that his sole job was serve us which was very impressive and set the tone for our stay.

Now they have a working theme that has something to do with favorite authors and books that I didn't understand or get an explanation on. So ask about that.

I mentioned that my wife and I were combining a Valentine's weekend get away along with a 20th anniversary and the Ron Hannigan, the manager, sent us a wonderful gift of two flutes of champagne and chocolate dipped strawberries. Which did the trick!

I was contaced via email by the hotel before we arrived to see if we were interested in anything particular in the way of shopping or dining or sightseeing. And with my interest in colonial history, the hostess referred us to Gadsby's, which made my experience complete.

Do yourself a favor and treat yourself to a stay at the Morrison House. We used our AAA and received a discount.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2009
Dear Danardone,

As General Manager of the Morrison House I wanted to write to thank you for the comments you provided regarding your recent experience at our property. I especially appreciate your thoughts about Jose, and agree he's a very special part of our success. Regarding our literary theme; every Kimpton Hotel tells a story and the story of the Morrison House is the story of literature. We celebrate classic tales and hope that the service we provide inspires you to tell a story about us.

Thank you again and we’re looking forward to seeing you soon. If there’s any assistance I may provide in ensuring the Morrison House remains your hotel of choice whenever you’re in Alexandria please don’t hesitate in contacting me directly.

San Antonio, Tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2009

This was an absolutely wonderful hotel and just the height of elegance. Everyone associated with the hotel was personable and welcoming. I had a corner room with windows on two sides and it was beautifully decorated in Colonial style. Bed was great, amenities were great, internet was free! The hotel is very convenient to everything in Old Town Alexandria and it's a short walk to the Metro. Just walking into the hotel, you feel like you've gone back to a more genteel time and place. I'll definitely stay there again.

• Liked — Overall Elegance and Ambiance - the whole building and every room is appealing
  • Disliked — Street noise - it comes with being in the middle of a city, but it was still a problem in the early morning.
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Dear SmallBusinessOwner,

As General Manager of the Morrison House I wanted to write to thank you for the comments you provided regarding your recent experience at our property. Your feedback allows us to continually perfect our services and work to ensure that our hotel remains a favorite destination for travelers to Alexandria, Virginia.

Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2009

This hotel was incredible. First of all, it is in a perfect location, right in the middle of Old Town Alexandria, but on a quiet street. Second, the hotel itself is very beautiful and very charming... the outside is pretty and the rooms are gorgeous. But the thing that really set this hotel apart was the friendly and helpful service of the staff. They saw us coming and came down to help us with our suitcase, then offered our two year old son a welcome backpack. And after we were settled in, they called up to see if our son would like some milk and cookies (and he certainly did like them). When our son woke up at 4 AM the next day, one of the staff members turned on the lights down in the lobby so that my son and I could push little cars on their table. Bottom line: the hotel was elegant and charming and the staff could not have been more helpful and accommodating.

• Liked — the charm of the hotel and its surroundings and the helpfulness of the staff
  • Disliked — nothing.
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2009
Dear carinberk,

As General Manager of the Morrison House I wanted to write to thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our property. I'm very happy that our staff was able to make your son more comfortable the night he couldn't sleep. We pride ourselves in providing that level of care at all hours, especially on behalf of our youngest guests. Please keep my contact information and reach out to me when you make your next reservation at the Morrison House, so I may be prepared to welcome you back personally.

Morrison House

p.s. Please tell your son we have plenty of homemade cookies waiting for him when he gets back!
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2009

My husband and I travel frequently for business and in this instance we escaped a very bad Bed and Breakfast experience (mid-reservation) to the welcoming staff at the Morrison House. They couldn't have been more helpful. The room couldn't have been more comfortable. We couldn't be more grateful -- and at a rate that was the same as the place we were fleeing.

Lesson learned: It pays to shop around.

Thanks Kimpton!

• Liked — It felt most luxurious
  • Disliked — That I didn't find it sooner......
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Dear newenglandb0und,

As General Manager of the Morrison House I wanted to write and thank you for your comments regarding your recent experience at our hotel. I'm very glad we were able to turn a special weekend around for you after a negative experience; hopefully we've given you a new favorite home in Alexandria, Virginia. It was a pleasure meeting you in our Courtyard at your departure and I'm looking forward to our team and I welcoming you back soon.

los angeles ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2009

My daughter and I stayed for 2 nights during the Inauguration and we loved it! It's a boutique hotel with first-rate service and the staff members always greeted us with a friendly smile. (The doorman was our favorite!) Our entire stay was so cozy and comfortable! The hotel room was beautifully furnished with all the amenities. The bed and linens were so comfy, too!. The bathroom was modernized and luxurious too. When we return to Alexandria, Morrison House is at the top of our list!

Stayed January 2009
Dear TravelBug,

As General Manager of the Morrison House I wanted to write to thank you for the comments you provided regarding your experience at our property during the Inauguration celebration. Your feedback allows us to continually perfect our services and work to ensure that our hotel remains a favorite destination for travelers to Alexandria, Virginia.

newtown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2009

A beautiful Place from top to bottom. The staff is absolutly exceptional. I stayed at this lovely place during the innauguration. I was perfoming an original works for the military and our country at one of the innaugurral balls on capitol hill . The staff was so attentive to every need. They went so far as to bring me tea to my room on a beautiful platter to help my voice for the perfomance. Every room in this special place is immaculate and you feel as if you just stepped into a history book. The food is wonderful ,everything was to perfection. I cannot wait to return. Thank you to a wonderful management and staff for a very momentous time in our history. Thank you for making it so special. I will treasure
The memory.

Thanks so much .
Catherine Urso
Newtown CT

• Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
Dear NewtonCinderella,

It was a pleasure hosting you at the Morrison House during the Inauguration. While it was a special and memorable event for all of us, we're incredibly honored that you chose to stay with us during your performance at the Inaugural Ball. Congratulations on such a professional milestone and our offer of having you perform at our Piano Bar stands, we'd love to see you back with us soon.

Morrison House
robert.hannigan@morrisonhouse.com

Been to Morrison House, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!