“Cute hotel in charming area with good service” 4 of 5 stars

Give Yourself Some Credit
Ranked #5 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Milwaukee
“Cute hotel in charming area with good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

Good pedestrian location to walk around Old Town . The King Street trolley makes it easy to get around but is a very popular idea so prepare for delays. You can take the trolley to the King Street Metro and from there navigate the entire DC area. You can also take the trolley to the River and ferry over to DC or the National Harbor. Very attentive staff that tried hard to please. The restaurant ambience isn't great but we only tried it for breakfast. Room was a little small but everything in this Old Town area is small as per the period. Note that this property is intended to look vintage such as the surrounding historical area but it is not a historical property. They did a good job of making it fit into the architecture in the area.
I appreciate the coffee and tea service in the lobby. Very good coffee - a lost amenity in many places. Overall good home base to see the immediate area.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Kate E, General Manager at Morrison House, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2014
Dear Newaukee1,

I'm so glad to hear that you enjoued the staff and service of the hotel. I appreciate good coffee too, so I understand how important that can be! It sounds like you got a good lay of the land, but please let us know when you are ready to come back to experience more, we're happy to help!

Kate

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Westborough, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

My wife and I have stayed at the Morrison House several times in the last 3 years and, because of our repeatedly superb experiences, have made it the only place we stay when we are in the DC area. It is a very comfortable, well-maintained inn. The staff, from top to bottom, are always friendly, helpful, and recognize us when we appear for breakfast, return each night, and just wander down to ask relax in the lobby. One reason we travel to the DC area is to show each of our grandchildren the sights in their 10th year, and on each such trip, the Morrison House has done something special to make our grandchild feel especially comfortable. This attention to the differences between the individuals who are their guests makes the Morrison House, in our opinion, one of the best hotels we have stayed in anywhere.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear ADGrantley,

Wow, thanks for your loyalty! We're so honored that you continue to select us when travelling to Old Town, and will be happy to have you back again, hopefully very soon!

Southern Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

We booked an hour before on a Saturday night and got half price. Beautiful hotel! Within walking distance of the famous King Street area of Old Town. Quick walk to Murphy's Irish Pub! My only dislike of the hotel was our room on the ground floor - half a window looking out on car tires. This is not a property you'd book for the view anyway. The keys were actual old, heavy, metal keys! Very nice!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
SFlurry,

Real keys - it's true! We like them too, easier to find in our pockets after a late night at Murphy's! We'll be here, keys in hand, next time you are ready to cross the river for another staycation.

Take care,

Alexandria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

I purchased a two night stay in a king sized room and I called ahead and informed the staff that I was staying for the evenings of my rehearsal dinner and wedding night.

The photos of the room on-line led me to believe that not only would I have ample space to prepare myself and put on my dress, but I was hoping to get some photographs in what I was expecting to be a fancy hotel room.

The room I received (405) was so cramped that I did not feel comfortable even putting on my wedding dress in the tiny amount of space.

The "icing on the cake" was that I later discovered that a guest to my wedding was upgraded free of charge to a larger room in the hotel without her even asking. I do not know what the circumstances were surrounding that decision, but if that was something that could have been done...isn't that the type of service one would expect for the BRIDE & GROOM?

All in all, I spent more money than I had originally budgeted for so that I could have a beautiful room (and not a cookie cutter space) to get ready in and spend my wedding night in, and I was highly disappointed with what was provided.

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Erina42us,

I'm so sorry to hear that we missed our chance to be a great part of this special occasion. I'd greatly appreciate the opportunity to try and make it up to you. Please contact me directly at the hotel so I can help.

kellis@morrisonhouse.com
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

This was an unexpected surprise. I have stayed at Kimpton hotels before, so I had positive expectation prior to our arrival. However, the Morrison house far exceeded our expectations. We arrived very late at night and the Valet was right there to greet us. With three young kids we were kind of "scattered" with our luggage and kid's toys and baby bags. This was not a problem, they gathered us up and we checked in and found our stuff waiting for us in our room. The room was very unique, almost had a "period" feel to it. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was updated and spacious. Breakfast was delicious, and they were attentive to our children while we waited for our food. Check in/out was very quick and easy.

There is always something to take note on, ours was the entrance to the hotel. It was almost midnight so it was very dark on the street. The entrance was hard to see and it is very small, a simple alleyway. Not a complaint, just something to keep in kind when you are arriving. We had a great stay and look forward to staying again anytime we go
To DC.

Stayed July 2014
Thanks for the review, MNVB!

We're glad to hear you enjoyed your time with us! Thanks for being loyal Kimpton guests. We hope to see you again on a repeat visit to DC!

Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

This hotel is well-located in Old Town Alexandria, Virginia. Walking distance to everything. The hotel is a historic home. Very charming public spaces, which include a living room and study. Great spaces to enjoy the evening happy hour and morning coffee/tea. Our room was on the lower level and so wasn't fabulous, but it was well-appointed and comfortable, and it was large enough. The staff was very friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear VeraN,

Thanks for chosing to stay with us! We're glad to hear that you were able to enjoy the public spaces and our great location in Old Town. We do have 44 other wonderful rooms too for you to try, please dont hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of help finding the right one for you!

kellis@morrisonhouse.com
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights and couldn't be happier with our choice. We had walked from the Metro on a very hot day and while checking in, the thoughtful desk clerk gave us bottles of water, saying that we must be hot and thirsty. We were very happy with our room which was on the 3rd floor. Some reviews say not to get a basement level room. The bed linens were so soft and comfortable and there were some nice touches like an umbrella and yoga mat in the closet. The traditional decor was lovely. We really appreciated the wine and appy offered between 5 and 6 each day and morning coffee. The turn down service and chocolates each night were nice too. This hotel is in a great location. We spent one day exploring Alexandria and everything we wanted to see was in walking distance. Loved this area and loved this hotel. Great staff. Felt like we were coming home each night.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Dale,

It's so great to hear that you enjoyed all of these wonderful aspects of your stay! Our team works tirelessly to make sure that each of these pieces come together to make a fantastic experience for all of our guests, and I am so glad to hear that is has paid off! We can wait to have you "Come home" to us again!

Kate

Been to Morrison House, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!