“Lovely boutique hotel” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Oxford, Pennsylvania
“Lovely boutique hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

So glad we found this hotel. It's right in the heart of Old Alexandria so we turned the car over to the very friendly valet attendant and didn't need it again until we left for home. This is the most accommodating hotel we've ever stayed at. Every amenity we could think of seemed to be included in the room (even thick, warm robes), and then we were further wowed when we received a hand-written thank you note from the manager. A stay also includes a very nice daily wine reception. The icing on the cake came in the evening when we stopped in the lounge and joined in the singing around the piano. This will be our "go to" hotel whenever we stay in Alexandria.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Tobias A, General Manager at Morrison House, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Menzrob,

We're so glad you found us as well! We'll always be happy to be here as your new "go to" in Alexandria.

Come back and see us for songs around the piano again soon!

Tobias

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Woodbridge, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

I just returned from staying at The Morrison House for my birthday weekend. This was my first time at a Kimpton hotel and I will say that I truly enjoyed my stay. I bought a Living Social special for $109 for a King garden view room and stayed 2 nights. The hotel itself is a little hard to find due to the fact there is no large sign to view from the street and the entrance does not face the front. In any event, I found it on my second time around. I live in Northern Va and absolutely love Old Town, so I jumped on the Living Social deal to experience staying at a Kimpton hotel. The front desk was very friendly and welcoming. Check-in was quick and I arrived in my room less than 15 after driving up to the valet (which was included in the special). However, I was informed upon check in that I had a courtyard view, which wasn't the case when I arrived in my room. My room was #106, which was below ground and I had 1 window, with a view of the alley. However, I did not go back to question as I was already tired from a long day at work and was meeting my sister for dinner. The personalized welcome note, cookies and chocolate was a great touch! I loved the lightning in the room...I could control the brightness and the bathroom was beautiful and very clean. I joined the Loyalty club, which gave me $10 to use towards the mini-bar or the bar, which comes in handy as the items in the mini-bar are quite expensive. I treated myself on my birthday to breakfast (room service) and room service was very prompt (I requested breakfast b/t 8:15-8:30). However, be aware that menu is quite expensive. I spent $26 for french toast & sausage and fresh squeezed OJ. I couldn't eat it all, so I wrapped the rest in a towel to eat later (was determined to eat that $26 worth).

Overall, my stay was great! As I was solo, the size of the room was perfect, however, if I stay again, I would request to NOT stay in a room below ground. During the day, I could hear the cleaning crew vacuuming and cleaning the other rooms. I will note that on my first night, I looked for a safe deposit box as each room is suppose to have one. Mines did not. I called the front desk and they promptly arrived with another nightstand (where the box is located) and swapped out the one in my room for the one with the safety box. I give high kudos for their promptness in taking action on this. The one other bummer was Sat morning when I went upstairs to get the complimentary hot chocolate, they hadn't made any b/c they had run out of milk and was waiting for milk to be delivered! Since I don't drink coffee, I made a cup of tea and all was well, but I would have loved to tried the hot chocolate and home made marshmallows!

I would definitely stay again, but only through another special provided by Living Social or Groupon. The price I paid was just right. I plan to try the Lorien and Monarco hotel as I've read excellent reviews on them and their rooms are larger.

Room Tip: Request a room above ground
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dear Katrina,

Thank you for celebrating your birthday with us! Please don't feel like you need to wait for another special occasion before visiting again. Our loyal Kimpton InTouch guests get great deals all year 'round!

See you soon,

New York Metro Area
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

We are die hard Kimpton fans and always choose them when we travel. This is the worst Kimpton we've ever stayed at and our first bad experience in the entire chain. We used vouchers that entitled us to a King room but they claimed they were sold out and put us in a tiny queen room. The toilet ran all night (after maintenance said it was fixed.) To compensate us, they gave us "free breakfasts I use the word breakfast loosely. We we only entitled to a glass of juice and a pastry. Yuck. The next night we asked to be moved to the king room we were entitled too. OMG, what an awful place--below ground,with a piano bar above us. The air conditioner was so old and noisy-- another rotten nights sleep. I spoke to Rochelle at the front desk and was like the lights are on but no ones home. She listened my concerns with a blank stare and said nothing and offered no solutions. Finally, I was so upset i called the front desk and again nothing. A while later the desk clerk offered me a $50 room credit to shut me up but no solution to the noise or awful room. We've stayed at both athe Lorian and the Kimpton Monaco in Old Town and loved them. I recommend you chose one of those. Old Town is much fun, the Morrison House will put a damper on your stay.

Room Tip: Choose a room at another hotel and run if the offer you a below ground room!!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear travelinbabe,

Thank you for your feedback. I’m disappointed that your recent experience with us did not meet the high standards we are known for. I’m very sorry that we let one of our loyal Kimpton guests down and I hope that we will get the opportunity to regain your trust. I would appreciate if you would contact me at tobias.arff@morrisonhouse.com so I can properly follow up with you on the shortcomings you experienced.

Respectfully,

Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

My wife and I had a grand visit to Alexandria, VA at your hotel for 3 days in late November. Location was terrific. Staff was gracious and attentive to our every need. The building was quiet and well maintained. We would love to visit again! A great location for restaurants and shopping.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hello Harry S,

I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing the Morrison House. I’m thrilled that you enjoyed our central location and that our team catered to all of your needs.
Please come back to see us again soon!

Happy Holidays,

Cape Coral, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

I have waited my whole life to stay here, and it did not disappoint! Gwyan Moses, the GM; Al, the bartender, and the rest of the staff are simply amazing! The room is big and comfortable. The location is absolutely perfect! Oh, and the Christmas decorations are beautiful!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear zeldawannabe,

Thanks for staying with us and thank you for this awesome review.
It is fantastic to read that Gwyan, the bartender and the rest of the staff were able to make you stay with us such a great one. Please don’t be a stranger and come back to see us again soon!

Respectfully,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

Morrison is possible one of our favorite places to stay for a getaway. The rooms are amazing and SUPER clean. The hotel staff is by far one of the friendliest and most efficient I have experienced. The location is perfect to get around Alexandria by foot or a walk to the Metro and off to D.C. in just a few minutes. Can't wait for our next trip back.

Room Tip: Any room is wonderful here. The upgrade to a suite is nice if you need to relax and do business or...

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear palexa401,

It looks like we hit a homerun with your recent stay with us. I can’t thank you enough for your kind words and we are looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Yours,

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

We just came back from spending four nights over Thanksgiving at the Morrison. We have typically stayed at the Hotel Monaco in Alexandria so we wanted to try out the more historic looking Morrison. We were very impressed! First of all, the first room we were given, while very nice, only had one window so we asked Ashley at the front desk if we could somehow get a room with two windows. Ashley worked with the Manager for a couple of hours and they came up with a room with "three" windows. They were both so nice to try so hard to accomodate us! The rooms are beautiful here. Very comfortable beds. You almost want to just stay in the room the whole time. The wine hour was, as usual at the Kimpton's, a riot (thanks Kate for being such a great host!). So many nice people to get to meet. We had a great time with them all. We also enjoyed the piano bar on Friday night. Some of the singers certainly got into it! A great way to spend some time. Service, as usual was great as well - you never have to open that front door. We will be back!

Hello Oakvillian,

Thank you for choosing the Morrison House to be your home away from home over the Thanksgiving Holliday’s. It is great to hear that you had such a pleasant stay and that Ashley, Kate and the rest of our team took such good care of you. We are looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Tobias

Been to Morrison House, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!