“Excellent hotel and good value” 4 of 5 stars

Book Now and SAVE!
Ranked #6 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Washington DC
“Excellent hotel and good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

We stayed at this hotel and everything was pretty close to perfect. We paid $220+tax, which I thought was a fair price for the product they offer. Staff was good at anticipating needs and friendly and helpful (they weren't pretentious or fake-acting, a pet-peeve of mine). Very customer-service oriented. Best continental breakfast I've ever had (free). Room was relatively small, bathroom was a little worn, but clean and very quiet and comfortable.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Sidavouq,

Thank you for choosing the Morrison House and thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers. I’m glad that you overall had a great experience with us and that everything was close to perfect. I hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back for a perfect stay next time around.

524 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Deer Park, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

This hotel is in the middle of Old Towne which is a wonderful little town. This is our second stay there. It is a small hotel, very intimate . When you arrive in your room, there is a handwritten note from the hotel along with fresh baked cookies. If you forget toiletries, they have an extensive list of toiletries they will provide you. Terrific rooms, a little small, but more than adequate. At night they turn the bed down and bring ice for your bucket. They have wine free between 5-6 for guests. This is a hidden gem, we love it there, and Old Towne is wonderful, and great proximity to DC. Also, they have a doorman who opens the door for you when you come in and out of the hotel. Classy!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 3rd or 4th floor
Dear LongIslandGiirl,

Thank you for taking the time to write this kind review and for staying with us.
I appreciate that you noticed the little touches such the personalized welcome note and the freshly baked cookies with our turn down service. The entire team cannot wait to open the doors for you again when you return for the third time.

North Plainfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

We totally enjoyed our stay here at the Morrison!! The staff was great as always at the Kimpton Properties. It was in a quiet area of old town but was convenient to everything. We had a staff that was very informative and welcoming. This hotel really isn't setup for Children but it is a historical gem to stay. I would recommend this hotel to all for a get-a-way weekend as we spent this past.

Dear John F,

Thank you for your kind words. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your recent experience at the Morrison House and I’m thankful for your loyalty to Kimpton. Please come back and see us again soon!

California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

We stayed here in late Sept and used it as a base to visit Wash DC. We appreciated the shuttle from Reagan National and were greeted warmly by the staff. It was late Sat PM when we got in and we got one of the basement rooms, felt like a cave. No view as you are partially below ground level. We requested to change rooms that night but they were booked solid. The desk clerk made note of our request and called about 9:30 AM the next day and told us we had a room now on the 3rd floor. Huge improvement and a great room on the corner. Comfy bed and nice amenities, including turndown service. Old Town Alexandria is right there with wonderful restaurants and shops. We took a boat ride to Georgetown the first day. Next 3 days we walked about ten minutes to take the Metro to into DC. It was nice at the end of the day to return to the hotel and be greeted by the staff, like being in a B&B. We felt this was a great choice and like a bonus to our DC trip by seeing Old Town. Don't miss Murphy's Irish Pub or Theisman's by the metro station. We got a wonderful rate for the hotel thru AAA.

Room Tip: Ask for upper floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear PK49,

Thank you for choosing the Morrison House and thank you for your review.
It is good to see that you took advantage of our complementary shuttle service from and to Reagan National airport and that our driver started your experience of with a warm welcome.
I’m glad that we were able to upgrade you to one of our deluxe rooms on a higher floor and that you overall enjoyed your experience with us.

Please come back to see us again soon,

The Hague, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Nothing wrong with this hotel except part of the bedrooms are partly underground. This means the windows are really high on the wall and small. The only thing you can see are wheels of cars parked or, if you are lucky, the bottom part of a garage door. As a result it's best to keep the curtains closed but you'll never see sunlight in your room.

That such rooms are assigned to guests, and at four stars prices, is simply amazing.

I didn't try any of the facilities of the hotel since I tried to spend every possible minute out of it.

Room Tip: I would rather choose another hotel, but if you have no other option than at least try to get a room...
Green Features: Didn't notice anything particularly "environmental" in comparison with other hotels. Well, the underground rooms will force you to use electric energy instead of sunlight ... not sure if this qualifies as environmentally friendly.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Marco B,

I’m very sorry that you were not satisfied with your room assignment. I wish we would have had the availability to upgrade you to one of our Deluxe Rooms, which are located on the top floors of the hotel.
Unfortunately all of these rooms were already reserved by other guests and we were not able to move you to a different room type.
Please contact me directly at tobias.arff@morrisonhouse.com if you travels bring you back into our area. I would be happy to assist you in booking one of our deluxe rooms and I will make your next stay with us extra special.

Lynchburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I recently stayed at the Morrison House while on business, and my stay was nothing short of AMAZING. So many wonderful little touches [i.e., a robe laid out on my bed when I arrived, complete with homemade cookies and a handwritten note, ice in my ice bucket, hosted wine hour, turn-down service, fruit-infused water in lobby] in gorgeous surroundings, but one particular experience surpassed them all.

I checked in very late the first night, and at 4 a.m. that morning, discovered that I had forgotten the bottom half of my suit. And that was my ONLY work outfit to wear to Court that morning. Simultaneously, I realized that no clothing stores would be open before I had to be at the courthouse, I had literally nothing else to wear other than a pair of jeans, and I didn't have my car with me. So, I barely slept the few hours that remained, and early that morning, went down to the front desk, practically in tears, and told the young woman, Rochelle, who was working there, about my dilemma. I asked her if she knew of any clothing stores that were open at 7 a.m., and of course, she didn't.....but instead, went to her car, and pulled out a dress that I could borrow! I still can't believe it. She even told me if it didn't fit, she would just give me the dress she was wearing. Wow wow wow. She was a total lifesaver!

Thank you again to Rochelle, and the staff at Morrison House for making my stay so wonderful. I have been recommending this hotel non-stop ever since!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Kerri K,

I cannot thank you enough for recognizing Rochelle for her act of kindness.
I’m fortunate to lead a team that truly cares about each and every gests well being and I could not be more proud about the fact that Rochelle saved the day for you.

Please see us again soon,

Bend, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

Good news...king bed at the end of the hall. Clean, comfortable well appointed. Bad news...basement room, loud HVAC and big gap under the door letting in noise and light.
Staff was friendly, welcoming and very accommodating. The valet - I swear he has a photographic memory!
We got a sweet rate so the stay was totally worth it. Not sure I'd pay rack rate, however. But, at the right rate I would surely stay again!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello caligal831,

Thank you for choosing the Morrison House and for your feedback.
I truly appreciate the nice comments about the friendly staff and I’m glad that you found a sweet rate.
I like to apologize for the AC noise you experienced in your guest room. We have a detailed inspection process in place and we should have caught and fixed this prior to your arrival. Please reach out to me directly the next time you are planning to stay with us. I would like to personally assist you with booking one of our deluxe rooms which are located on the upper floors of the hotel. You can reach me at tobias.arff@morrisonhouse.com.

Tobias

Been to Morrison House, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!