“Superb staff makes this very comfortable hotel the best in the area” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Morrison House, a Kimpton Hotel

Give Yourself Some Credit
Ranked #5 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Westborough, Massachusetts
“Superb staff makes this very comfortable hotel the best in the area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

The rooms are extremely comfortable and quiet; the food is first-rate; and the location, in the heart of Alexandria, is charming. My wife and I have stayed at the Morrison House 3 times this year, and the quality has always been the same. But what really makes this hotel excel is its staff. Everyone seems effortlessly competent, happy to be there, and focused on making their guests truly comfortable.The Morrison House feels like a well-appointed home with a staff that has been with the family for years.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear ADGrantley,

Wow, thank you for this awesome review. We truly appreciate you great comments and your loyalty to the Morrison House. It means a lot to us to be called “the best in the area” and it will be my pleasure to share your kind words with our entire team.
We are looking forward to welcome you back to your fourth stay this year.

Tobias

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We've just returned from our first stay at the Morrison House and we are so glad we gave it a try. First and foremost the staff were all so welcoming and helpful! The room was extremely comfortable, the public areas are very pleasant and the hotel is in a great location. Congratulations to the Morrison House for getting so many things right.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello aterg1,

Thank you for choosing the Morrison House for your first time. It is exciting to read that you had such a great time with us. I hope that we will become your new home away from home whenever you are traveling into our area. Please come back and see us again soon.

Yours,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

Thank God only stayed here for one night. Let me first say the staff was great. The young lady at the front desk was pleasant & the bell man & valet were really helpful & professional. We were on the 8th day of our road trip having stayed at the Omni at Championsgate for 3 nights & the wonderful Carolina Inn Chapel Hill the past 4 nights.

We wanted to stay in Alexandria for a night to be close to Old Town. The location of this hotel can't be beaten. Valet Parking is $25. The problem with this place is if you do top secret hotels through Travelocity & win - you will be booked in a subterranean room where it is rather dark. I might guess the rooms in the upper level are nicer. The hotel almost tries to trick you that the basement is level 1 & up from the lobby through its elevator. As for these basement rooms they shouldn't be rented out - rather used for storage. The bed in our room was ok- kept running into the base board of the bed as the room is quite small & we had a 2 poster bed & not 4. Decided to close the window as we were below ground. & people could see in. Toilet flush was weak but adequate I suppose. Bathroom fairly clean. Bed rather squeeky. Worse was the loud air and the noisy hall as the door insulation between rooms is poor. Room had fridge but stocked with hotel beverages. Nice touch was the dimmable lights for the night but you wish the room was brighter in day. I would much rather stay at a regular Holiday Inn express than the basement but I suppose if you pay the regular price the upper rooms would be nice. I would have checked out after one night because it almost felt like sleeping in my parent's basement. So my advice book through Hotel website & make sure you don't book Top Secret through Travelocity.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Golftraveler1,

Thank you for your feedback and for the kind comments about the helpfulness and professionalism of our team. I like to apologize that you were not satisfied with your room assignment. I would be happy to assist you to reserve one of our deluxe rooms if your travels bring you back into our area. All of our deluxe rooms are located on the top floors of our hotel and base on your feedback I’m confident that you will enjoy them. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me directly. You can reach me at: tobias.arff@morrisonhouse.com.

Downingtown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

My husband and I recently spent a night at the Morrison House in Alexandria. In the interest of full disclosure, I booked my stay through a discount site that did not name the hotel until my credit card had been charged and I paid less than the published rate. Prior to my departure, I read the reviews of the hotel on Trip Advisor and was dismayed to learn that I would probably be given a first floor room, that is to say, a room in the basement and yes, that is what happened. However, the room was fine – nicely appointed, very clean, and adequately sized (certainly larger than most European hotel rooms). Our king bed was soft and comfy, and neither of us found much to complain about. The only drawback was the window which was smaller than most hotel windows and looked out on the street where we could see only the tires of cars. No problem, we simply closed the curtains which I would have done anyway when we retired for the night. Oh, and one of the bedside table lamps did not work properly, but I called the front desk and the lamp was replaced within five minutes. The staff was lovely and very responsive, the public rooms were charming, and the biggest advantage to this hotel is its wonderful location close to the stores and cafes on King Street. Would I have felt differently if I had paid full price? Maybe. But it’s a good hotel, the inconveniences are minor, and for your money, whatever you pay, you get a great location in an interesting and fun place to visit, plus it’s close to the sights of Washington D.C. at considerably less expense than you would pay there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Trina J,

Thank you for the great feedback. It is awesome to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I’m glad that you found our hotel to be a great value and that you took advantage of our central location. It is good to hear that our team fixed the lamp in your room immediately but I’m sorry that we did not catch this prior to your arrival.
We hope to welcome you back soon,

Melbourne Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Just recently stayed at the Kimpton, and it was a great trip. The staff was great, smiling, and all around met all my requests. My room was well appointed, clean, and taken care of. I enjoyed the wine happy hour, and wished I was able to partake in it more than one evening.
I got a kick out ot the Saturday evening sing along, which appeared to be a singing club, and I was thankful I didn't have to sing. Altough I was working all weekend, my girlfriend and I had a great time while staying there.
It was my first time staying at a Kimpton, and hopefully not my last.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Patrick G,

I truly appreciate that you took the time to write this awesome review. It is great to hear that you enjoyed our friendly staff and that your overall experience with us was such a great one. We hope to welcome you back soon for more free wine, good music and many more genuine smiles.

Yours,

Boston, Mass.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I stayed at Morrison House recently while in DC for a one-day business meeting nearby in Alexandria. The location is lovely, on a side street just off King Street near the center of the Old Town district, in a nicely kept brick building with black shutters and a little round portico at the entrance--very Middle Atlantic-looking.

Like a lot of Kimpton hotels, the Morrison House works hard on atmosphere, and mostly gets that right, but gets a few of the nuts-and-bolts things wrong. My room was cozy and tastefully decorated, but the key didn't work on the first try (the doorman who came to help me with it said this was a common problem with their keys), hot water in the shower was lukewarm at 8PM, the air conditioning did not seem to respond very well to thermostat adjustments, and the wi-fi was comically slow.

If these sorts of glitches don't bother you, the place has some genuine charm. The night I was there, they were having a piano bar karaoke session in the dining room, with a two-man band and a DJ running the sound system as a large, convivial group of mostly older patrons sang everything from Peggy Lee to Elton John, some of them quite well. It was fun and different, and almost made up for the lukewarm shower.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear nightchef,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. I’m disappointing that your recent stay did not meet the high standards we are known for.
I like to ensure you that the problems you had are not common at our hotel. Our keys usually work flawless, we just upgraded all of our thermostats to one of the newest and most advanced products out there and our guests usually always enjoy a hot shower.
I’m excited to let you know that we just signed a contract to upgrade our wireless internet service. I truly hope that I will get the opportunity to welcome you back so you can experience our new lightning fast internet and the high level of service we are known for.
Please contact me directly at: tobias.arff@morrisonhouse.com if there is anything I can assist you with in the future and again my apologies for our shortcomings.

America
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Stayed with my new wife for 2 nights at this hotel upon recommendation from my uncle who is a frequent patron of the hotel. I must admit the classic elegance of the rooms blew me away and i was quite pleased with the amenities offered. We didn't get to try the wine specials or the hotel restaurant but we saw quite a few guests having a good time. Proximity to everything in downtown Alexandria was great and we had no problem venturing out . The rooms had actual keys insted of key cards , definitely forced me to take care of my room key.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear TravelLongTyme,

The entire team at the Morrison House likes to congratulate you on your recent marriage.
Thank you for the kind comments about your experience with us. We truly hope that we will be able to welcome you back soon, possible for your 1st anniversary?

All the best,

Tobias

Been to Morrison House, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!